Hunting pressure in OTC Archery Elk Units?

bigbuck247

Does pressure go down throughout the season or is it pretty much that high whole time? Like is the first week the worst normally or does it stay that way to whole way through?

I think it stays pretty much the same from my experience. Sometimes the hunter numbers increase a bit during the archery/muzzleloader overlap but nothing that gets overwhelming. My first couple of years I think it bothered me but now it’s just another part of the ever changing equation.
My reference is to Colorado. Not every state has a muzzy season concurrent with archery

Most noticeable is weekends. The joke goes that the elk bugle really well on weekends near trailheads...

First week is slower than subsequent weeks, but your observations may vary. Way less pressure from 10-1 till 10-12.

Most noticeable is weekends. The joke goes that the elk bugle really well on weekends near trailheads...

First week is slower than subsequent weeks, but your observations may vary. Way less pressure from 10-1 till 10-12.
I bet that is the week to go. Only other hunters you will run into are green jeans lol.

I think it stays pretty much the same from my experience. Sometimes the hunter numbers increase a bit during the archery/muzzleloader overlap but nothing that gets overwhelming. My first couple of years I think it bothered me but now it’s just another part of the ever changing equation.
My reference is to Colorado. Not every state has a muzzy season concurrent with archery
Good to know. We are supposed to be going August 31st- Septmeber 10th but with some unexpected stuff popping up we may have to delay it to mid or late sept so was wondering what to expect. Thanks!

Good to know. We are supposed to be going August 31st- Septmeber 10th but with some unexpected stuff popping up we may have to delay it to mid or late sept so was wondering what to expect. Thanks!
Anytime you can get in the woods is the time to go regardless of hunter pressure, moon phase, weather, or anything else. Just get out there when ya can.

About 4-5 years ago I remember every tv/magazine hunter or pro staffer was putting out there “best rut dates” based on the moon and some other variables. I bit on that thinking I was gonna be well ahead of the game, well every other person who knows how to use google must have thought the same thing.
I try my best to just go with whatever fits my schedule now and I pay little attention to the rest of it.

I definitely try to pick my hunt unit or area based off hunter pressure but typically not my dates.

Last edited:
Anytime you can get in the woods is the time to go regardless of hunter pressure, moon phase, weather, or anything else. Just get out there when ya can.

About 4-5 years ago I remember every tv/magazine hunter or pro staffer was putting out there “best rut dates” based on the moon and some other variables. I bit on that thinking I was gonna be well ahead of the game, well every other person who knows how to use google must have thought the same thing.
I try my best to just go with whatever fits my schedule now and I pay little attention to the rest of it.

I definitely try to pick my hunt unit or area based off hunter pressure but typically not my dates.
For sure. Ill take a crappy moon phase and raining over a day in the office any day.

What usually happens is the pressure stays relatively the same in all Colorado OTC units. What changes are the hunters. Those with experience know their unit. They know how the elk react to the increased activities of more September hikers, bikers, archers, and muzzleloaders. These highly successful hunters usually hunt the same units all season. Other hunters come into the season pumped up and ready. They've been watching YouTube videos nonstop for the last month (me included lol) and hit the woods on opening day competing for the elk bugling and cow calling championship.

The only problem is the elk of most OTC units are usually silent. At least during daylight hours. They can tell you every make and model of call that you're using and they're extremely happy that you have alerted them to your exact location. Each week new hunters roll in while last week's hunters go on to the next location because "there are no elk" in that last unit and location. When I do see another hunter in the woods they are usually telling me they haven't seen anything. I smile and agree with them. I heard them coming from over a half mile away and so did the elk.

I am not trying to say these are bad hunters. They just believe their YouTube videos and never spend enough time actually in the woods learning about their quarry. They quickly become impatient. Oh, they'll walk a million miles so it's not their heart or drive. They just keep moving and ALMOST never think to ask that older hunter they just ran into for help or advice. They never find out that I've been hunting these same units for 35 years, been shooting a bow since I was 6 (almost 60 years ago), and have killed an elk and helped others find elk every year.

I offer this advice because there are a lot of "old" hunters like me out there. Usually hunting alone. We live for the next elk hunt. Hunt every day you can. Don't worry about the moon, the weather, or even the pressure. The elk don't leave the area unless food and water disappear. This won't happen in September. They have gotten used to atv noise (doesn't mean they stick around the area standing broadside), hikers, bikers, dogs off leash, fall aspen watchers, etc. Look for fresh sign and cover ground until you do. Then slow down. Good luck and I wish you success!

What usually happens is the pressure stays relatively the same in all Colorado OTC units. What changes are the hunters. Those with experience know their unit. They know how the elk react to the increased activities of more September hikers, bikers, archers, and muzzleloaders. These highly successful hunters usually hunt the same units all season. Other hunters come into the season pumped up and ready. They've been watching YouTube videos nonstop for the last month (me included lol) and hit the woods on opening day competing for the elk bugling and cow calling championship.

The only problem is the elk of most OTC units are usually silent. At least during daylight hours. They can tell you every make and model of call that you're using and they're extremely happy that you have alerted them to your exact location. Each week new hunters roll in while last week's hunters go on to the next location because "there are no elk" in that last unit and location. When I do see another hunter in the woods they are usually telling me they haven't seen anything. I smile and agree with them. I heard them coming from over a half mile away and so did the elk.

I am not trying to say these are bad hunters. They just believe their YouTube videos and never spend enough time actually in the woods learning about their quarry. They quickly become impatient. Oh, they'll walk a million miles so it's not their heart or drive. They just keep moving and ALMOST never think to ask that older hunter they just ran into for help or advice. They never find out that I've been hunting these same units for 35 years, been shooting a bow since I was 6 (almost 60 years ago), and have killed an elk and helped others find elk every year.

I offer this advice because there are a lot of "old" hunters like me out there. Usually hunting alone. We live for the next elk hunt. Hunt every day you can. Don't worry about the moon, the weather, or even the pressure. The elk don't leave the area unless food and water disappear. This won't happen in September. They have gotten used to atv noise (doesn't mean they stick around the area standing broadside), hikers, bikers, dogs off leash, fall aspen watchers, etc. Look for fresh sign and cover ground until you do. Then slow down. Good luck and I wish you success!
Great advice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back