Hunting partners!!

steamfitter

I moved to montana 8 years ago lived in nebraska for 16 years greww up in louisiana yes im a cajun all the way up in montana. I moved here because of divorce let me always wanted to live here now i do because of the love of outdoors. I pose this question to yall are u afraid to make new hunting partners/friends because of possibilty next time you go to your favorite spot and the new hunting partner brought 4 of his friends to ur spot. I hunt alone or with my father in law i would luv a couple of good hunting partners/friends but i to am afraid of this dont get me wrong im not selfish about hunting i luv to take someone and watch and help them get their game more so than me harvesting the animal and would luv to make new friends but sure would hate it if i went the next year and my spot i worked hard finding and its turned into grand central station. Both my father in law and me have had this happen to us when we took a couple guys to colorado on an elk hunt the following year 8 guys were camped right where we had always gone and 2 of them were the so called buddies we took last year. What are ur thoughts.

I would say your so called buddies stink. I know what you mean though. I am new to MT but have hunted as non-res last few years. Going to probably be solo this year too.

Its a matter of respect.I give people places to hunt all the time,but let them know, its not to be put out there for every friend they know.If you try again, start off with spots that are decent and not your hotspot,and see if they start bringing groups to those places before showing them anything else
Me personally, wouldn't ever bring other people to a spot if I was asked not to.I think thats a scumbag move.I met some guys in Mt. last year who are now friends of mine,and they asked me not to post the spot or tell anyone.I found the spot on my own thru maps,but I don't want to wreck their spot.Only way someone will know of that is if they go with me when I hunt it again.And, then, they will be told before hand not to post the spot on-line
I really like helping others out with places,but some don't respect the help.Haven't had any trouble on this site,but for my own state,thats a whole different story.I don't take anyone around my home to my spots anymore

I hunt by myself all the time. It would be nice to have a hunting buddy and if you find the right person they will respect your time put in to learn the areas you hunt. Personally if I had a buddy show me his spot I would not hunt it unless I were with him or he had already harvested his animal. I certainly would not go telling someone else about person X's hunting spots. It's a respect thing I guess.

Yeah i have had a couple bad hunting buddies. IM gonna have to find some though my father is gettin old an the old lady dont like me going into the Bob Marshall alone it probably aint the smartest thing i do but what u gonna do i luv it up in there.

I'm a people sort of guy, but I hunt alone because all my best friends are into other things at that time of year, and, as I've said before here, it really sucks to have to be somewhere at some specific time to meet your partner...that's not hunting. Hunting is when you leave your truck when you want to, hunt all day, and come back when you want to. Then call your buddy on the phone when you can and tell him what a great day you had, and make plans for a fishing trip together.

I'm curious to know what they said when you asked them what the heck they were doing there and why did they bring others to the spot you had shared with them?

The guy said oh Joe we didnt think you were hunting here this year then it wasnt good cause i have problem with people that dont respect other people. We dont hunt toghether anymore.

I'm a people sort of guy, but I hunt alone because all my best friends are into other things at that time of year, and, as I've said before here, it really sucks to have to be somewhere at some specific time to meet your partner...that's not hunting. Hunting is when you leave your truck when you want to, hunt all day, and come back when you want to. Then call your buddy on the phone when you can and tell him what a great day you had, and make plans for a fishing trip together.

I have to agree with this 100%. No waiting for someone to show up to leave, leave when I want, eat when I want, come home when I want, go where I want. To me hunting is doing it on my terms without a schedule. My wife isn't thrilled with me hunting alone, but I always give her a hunt plan so she at least knows where I am at. That is unless things aren't working where I told her I would be and I end up somewhere else. I am fortunate that I live where I can be smack dab in the middle of Elk in a 20 minute drive and 30 minute hike. Once I park, I could be anywhere.

I get that i have elk come through the yard but i enjoy that wilderness hunt makes me feel like you are going back in time of mountain men days. I do like hunting on my own but sometimes its fun to sit around fire and tell lies and compare daily notes with cold beer in the hand.

Back