Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting Pants

HighDesertSage

Wondering if you guys could help me out here. I am looking for a pair of quality mountain hunting pants I could use here for the rifle seasons in Colorado for 90% of the time. I have a pair of light weight polyester pants that are great for archery, but to light for Oct in CO. I also have a pair of heavy wool pants that work good for really cold temps, but are way to hot to be hiking around in. I know Sikta, underarmor, and Kuiu all make quality products, but here is the catch, I hate camo. I actually can't stand wearing camo clothing and go to great lengths to avoid buying it. So I am having a heck of a time finding a pair of mid weight, non-cotton, quiet pants in an earth tone color. Do you guys have anything you could recommend I take a look at? Also, I have tried on the First Lite Kanab pants and had to pass because the fit did not work for my build. (5' 8" 175). Thanks for the help.

I believe Sitka is making their Timberline pant in Moss this year. It's a neat color, kind of a cross between coyote tan and foliage green.

I believe Kuiu is still making the Attack pant in solid colors. I wear the attack pant 99% of the time and it works great from Sep. 1 though January, when really cold I'll wear some moreno bottoms, but usually if I am high activity, they are just fine. I live and hunt in western Montana.

You are lucky it is a good time of year to be looking. I would cruise down to your local ski/hiking store, REI would probably be great, and pick up a pair of softshell pants from about any one of the good manufacturers. Outdoor Research is one of my favorites for quality vs value, but Marmot, Patagonia, Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardware all make good stuff. I have a pair of OR Cirque Pants and they would be great for hunting.

Last edited:
It was either in this forum or another that a guy recommended these:

http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-duo-dry-32-golf-pants/-/A-14148908

For $30, I think they would be worth a shot. I've never used them myself but I'm seriously thinking about getting a pair in the grey color for just a good pair of hiking pants. I think they may be a little lightweight for what you are wanting as well but maybe there would be a size to your liking that would allow for an adequate baselayer.

Last edited:
These were on Camofire today for $50

BADLANDS MOMENTUM PANT
Don’t look any further than the Badlands Momentum Pant when you are searching for the perfect pair of hunting pants. These technically advanced hunting pants feature articulated knees which offer you a wider range of motion when moving in broken terrain. The anti microbial scent reduction system will aid in getting you closer to game animals. A built in removable gator system will keep the bottoms of your pants dry from early morning dew moister. The Hex-Lite Fleece liner will keep you warm on chilly mountain morning while also allowing your legs to breathe. Hunting Pants are probably one of the most important pieces of gear you can own and the Badlands Momentum Pant is as good as they make.
FEATURES

Hypalon cuffs for increased durability
Articulated knees for wider range of motion
Nylon reinforced belt loops
Anti Microbial Scent Reduction system
Built in- removable gator
Bio-Shell Construction
Hex-Lite Fleece liner

These were on Camofire today for $50

BADLANDS MOMENTUM PANT
Don’t look any further than the Badlands Momentum Pant when you are searching for the perfect pair of hunting pants. These technically advanced hunting pants feature articulated knees which offer you a wider range of motion when moving in broken terrain. The anti microbial scent reduction system will aid in getting you closer to game animals. A built in removable gator system will keep the bottoms of your pants dry from early morning dew moister. The Hex-Lite Fleece liner will keep you warm on chilly mountain morning while also allowing your legs to breathe. Hunting Pants are probably one of the most important pieces of gear you can own and the Badlands Momentum Pant is as good as they make.
FEATURES

Hypalon cuffs for increased durability
Articulated knees for wider range of motion
Nylon reinforced belt loops
Anti Microbial Scent Reduction system
Built in- removable gator
Bio-Shell Construction
Hex-Lite Fleece liner

I am looking for non camo

Not sure they have a rating? I run hot, so i do not use long johns until it gets really cold. I'll use my gators, throw some bottoms on, and they are perfect. >Rain / snow in the forecast, have I a lite rain pant to pull over them and wait it out.

Check out Kuhl and Duluth Trading Company.

I usually wear REI brand hiking pants for everything from fishing to x-country skiing in the winter, just add thermals as needed. Worn out two pair I rarely wear wool, even if its really cold. Too bulky and not really any more noticeably warm IMO, especially when hiking.

Another vote for kuhl. The stuff I've had has been more lightweight summer stuff, but I've been very impressed with their cut and performance.

I have some Kuhl pants, and while I love the cut and construction, right now I would not wear them for hunting. They are loud. Not loud like swishing your legs together loud, but loud like they make a kind of crunching sound when you so much as bend your knee. It might not matter much for rifle hunting, but it's really annoying to me. They certainly seem built to last, so I'm hoping that they quiet down as I break them in. Time will tell.

Are any of you guys over 6' tall? I have the hardest time finding hunting pants with longer than a 32-34" inseam. 34" is doable ( a little breezy up the leg when I need to sit) but a 36" is the best for me. I found one pair of camo pants at a Columbia outlet last year that are the best fitting pants I've ever found. But they only had one pair and the ones I find now are stupid expensive. I think I gave $30-40 for the ones I bought.

I'm 6'3" and about 250# and hunting clothing is not designed for manly men like me.

Are those mountain hardwares made of the same material used by sitka? Love that four way stretch for comfort and durability. Been wearing my ascents for 4 years and they still look new.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back