Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting opportunities around Kenai/Homer area

midwesthunter

Kind of a vague question, but I have a non hunting buddy moving to Kanai, he enjoys the outdoors and can do some scouting. But was wondering how the black bear hunting is in this part of AK? Or other good hunting opportunities.

I am starting to research, but wondering if anyone has ever hunted this area before.

Black bear all over. Moose is a draw I think. Deer if you hop the ferry to kodiak, which you should do even if you aren’t hunting.

Quite a few draw hunts for moose and goats. I think there is still moose available on a general open season harvest ticket, but fairly restrictive. Some open season brown bear and sheep is also available, but you'd need a guide (need a guide for goats, also). Caribou is on a drawing basis.
As noted above lots of black bear opportunity.

Biggest is black bear in that area.
Kodiak and the surrounding islands for black tail deer.
Grouse and ptarmigan as well

Fishing is the biggest by far in that area

Doing a backpacking trip a few hours south of ANC and bringing my little .22/410 combo for Ptarmigan. Nothing dresses up a Mountain House quite like some fresh tundra chicken!

Lifelong resident of the Kenai peninsula here.
Black bear, black bear everywhere. you can road hunt, atv or hike in along the road system fairly easily or you can take a boat across kachemak bay from homer, Limit 1 a year to non residents there, 3 a year in the rest of the unit. if you decide to go to the south side of Kachemak bay make sure your water taxi has a transporters license. but id recommend hunting here over the road system overall especially in fall or spring. less people and in my opinion better odds for a 6 foot plus bear. if you go in the fall lots of trails get you above alpine where all the good berry bears are.
there is moose hunting but access to the best areas is kind of difficult, ,most draw tags are for residents only, the harvest tag (OTC) is both residents and non residents, but comes with antler restrictions.
caribou is a draw tag
and all other big game requires a guide.
Spruce Grouse and ptarmigan can be found pretty much anywhere. hope this helps

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back