HUNTING IN MONTANA

@mountainhawks, not a farm. We call em ranches down here. Not many PUBLIC places to hunt in Texas, I would say, in the area I own my ranch, NONE of it is public. So getting access to these animals is either you know a friend, or you’re paying thousands of dollars to hunt. My place is low fence, fair chase, just like MONTANAS. We may not have the BIG GAME animals, ELK , BEAR OR BIGHORN, but we have many other animals people love to hunt. I will put our AXIS meat up against ELK meat ALL DAY, and 999/1000 hunters will choose AXIS. Not to say I don’t love me some ELK, but AXIS meat is WORLD CLASS! I have AOUDAD, AXIS, MOUFLAN, BLACKBUCK, FALLOW, WHITETAIL, HOGS, CORSICAN RAMS, just to name a few running wild and free thru my ranch.
Where are pics of the 180”-200” deer ? These surely aren’t it . Congrats on the Montana tag you’ll have a blast

Go ARMY. Definitely invest in OnX maps. One of the best tools available to any hunter. Get used to altitude. Montana is amazing and bigger than people think. Public land abounds. Enjoy your hunt.

My place is low fence, fair chase, just like MONTANAS. I have AOUDAD, AXIS, MOUFLAN, BLACKBUCK, FALLOW, WHITETAIL, HOGS, CORSICAN RAMS, just to name a few running wild and free thru my ranch.

Yep just like Montana... I love when people from the land of feral Bongos, feeders and no public land try to compare Texas to the rest of the country.353534B0-7356-4818-9B8A-1DC2CFECC72E.jpeg

Don’t get me wrong, my Texas roots go super deep and I would never turn down an opportunity to do a backpack hunt there... but it’s a weird ass place ecologically speaking.

Last edited:
@Hunting Wife posted the best comment on this thread. Every state is different with regard to their regs and while the forum is a great place to ask for clarification your best resource is the regs themselves. I can’t stress enough how important it is to get a copy of the regs and read them cover to cover before you hunt, there are all kinds of little difference that can trip you up eg. blaze orange requirements, when to validate a tag, proof of sex, checking requirements, antler reqs(brow tie bull elk v. Spike v. Calf), etc. I have had several first hand experiences where lifetime residents had the rules wrong because they hadn’t read them in 10-15 years and things changed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back