Hunting/hiking boots

Niccok30

Looking for recommendations on a good pair of hunting/hiking boots. I’m in CA and will be hunting D8 & A zones this year so I plan on doing a lot of work on foot.

Lowa, Kennetrek, Scarpa, and Crispi are some the the popular ones. GoHunt has a good write up and explanation on different types of boots. You really need to try on boots to see how they fit the shape of your foot. I run a non waterproof, 8” all leather boot that is very stiff because I’m hiking off trial in desert lava rock. Check out a local hiking store they should have someone that can actually fit you to boots. Also get proper socks, and sock liner.

My recommendation is do your research. Do not go too cheap on footwear or you will pay for it in the long run. However, that don't necessarily mean you have to go high end fashion and buy the most expensive just because others do. I buy based on durability, comfort, and easy to maintain. I have numbness in my left foot so I can't wear boots too restrictive. But anyways, do your research and study the features well before you buy and review the videos posted by others. What one person wears will not always work for you.

Lowa, Kennetrek, Scarpa, and Crispi are some the the popular ones. GoHunt has a good write up and explanation on different types of boots. You really need to try on boots to see how they fit the shape of your foot. I run a non waterproof, 8” all leather boot that is very stiff because I’m hiking off trial in desert lava rock. Check out a local hiking store they should have someone that can actually fit you to boots. Also get proper socks, and sock liner.
Thank you for the info. I live in San Luis Obispo county and unfortunately we really don’t have any stores that will carry any of those brands. Even for my work boots I have to order a couple pair to see what fits best. Then send the boots I don’t want back.

Thank you for the info. I live in San Luis Obispo county and unfortunately we really don’t have any stores that will carry any of those brands. Even for my work boots I have to order a couple pair to see what fits best. Then send the boots I don’t want back.
If you wear work boots regularly you should have a good idea about your feel for larger toe box, width, etc... a lot can be fixed with an insole as well. I’d look at GoHunts sizing guide and watch videos on the boot you’re interested in.

I bought a pair of Danners Explorer 650 hikers for that and the otc archery hunt in CO this year. Leather upper with rips top side panels and no insulation. Gore-Tex tho. Comfortable and no break-in right out of the box. Unfortunately you just missed the Danner 35% of sale. There’ll be another soon probably tho.

So now I’m on goHunt and checking out the boot options... Their product details seem to be really good. Now to find boots in a size 14. 🤦🏼‍♂️

So I’m having a hard time choosing which pair of boots to buy. Crispi Colorado GTX or Crispi Nevada’s ... I would like to find an all around boot. Meaning a boot I can wear when hunting here in state A, D, zones and hopefully someday X9A or B 😁. I would also like to wear this pair of boots when deer & elk hunting in CO. Am I asking to much out of a pair of boots?

I bought a pair of Danners Explorer 650 hikers for that and the otc archery hunt in CO this year. Leather upper with rips top side panels and no insulation. Gore-Tex tho. Comfortable and no break-in right out of the box. Unfortunately you just missed the Danner 35% of sale. There’ll be another soon probably tho.

Everyone has a unique foot and everyone has their favorite brand. What works for them may not work for you.

I hunted California many years in Danners. You don't need insulation, but the Gore-Tex liner helps. I got two or three years out of a pair. I never needed a high boot there in California, now I'm in Idaho and need more specialized boots.
I do not have box store feet either and you really need to find a place to try them on.

Size 14 is gonna be tough to find place to try on. Is there an REI store close to you? Sportmans' Whorehouse will have Kenetrek, some Zamberlan, as well as Rocky, Danner, and other "lesser" brands.

Don't forget to look at swap and sell sites like GearTrade.

I'd add Hanwag into the mix as well. Ive been very happy with mine.

Thank you everyone for the suggestion. There is an REI very close to home but that’s all and their selection is very limited I think b/c of the area I live in. I’m thinking I’m going to just have to order online and just order a few to find what I like. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Looking for recommendations on a good pair of hunting/hiking boots. I’m in CA and will be hunting D8 & A zones this year so I plan on doing a lot of work on foot.
I've personally been using the Zamberlan 966 Saguaro GTX that is uninsulated. I'm not sure sure how far Carlsbad is from where you are but Zamberlan's store is there so they should have a place to try on their boots. They have a different sizing chart which can be confusing but it's explained fairly well. I normally wear a 10.5 in US sizes and the conversion was telling me to order a 10 in US and they fit like a glove.

I ended up buying a pair of Crispi boots have almost 35miles on them already. Hopefully the public lands ope back up and I can continue to put them to use

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back