Hunting for Deer in the Mountains

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Nice deer! But I think 95 grains is a way too light for anything but coyotes. Perhaps three shots in the boiler room is trying to tell you something? Also a very light fast bullet would not be my choice for that kind of brushy country. Too easily deflected. My two cents for what it's worth ... which is nothing. I will add that over fifty-six years of hunting I have not lost an animal shooting a 30-06 with 165 to 190 gr bullets. The list includes thirteen elk, six moose, eight African plains game, and I don't know how many deer (more than sixty). A bull elk and one bull moose each required three shots but only because the first neck shot didn't put them down (the moose actually took two in the neck and still kept going). Never shot an animal three times in the boiler room. I don't think it's possible with a 30-06 ... without shooting the critter laying on the ground.

Nice deer! But I think 95 grains is a way too light for anything but coyotes. Perhaps three shots in the boiler room is trying to tell you something? Also a very light fast bullet would not be my choice for that kind of brushy country. Too easily deflected. My two cents for what it's worth ... which is nothing. I will add that over fifty-six years of hunting I have not lost an animal shooting a 30-06 with 165 to 190 gr bullets. The list includes thirteen elk, six moose, eight African plains game, and I don't know how many deer (more than sixty). A bull elk and one bull moose each required three shots but only because the first neck shot didn't put them down (the moose actually took two in the neck and still kept going). Never shot an animal three times in the boiler room. I don't think it's possible with a 30-06 ... without shooting the critter laying on the ground.
As I'm sure you've experienced, even an animal that's hit well in the lungs may move 25 yds, 50 yds, or even a bit more as it is expiring. My policy is to shoot them until they are down, even if they might tip over at any moment. Your advice is well taken. While I've not hunted or lived 56 years I've shot a few critters myself, and hope I can say I've hunted that long one day.

As I'm sure you've experienced, even an animal that's hit well in the lungs may move 25 yds, 50 yds, or even a bit more as it is expiring. My policy is to shoot them until they are down, even if they might tip over at any moment. Your advice is well taken. While I've not hunted or lived 56 years I've shot a few critters myself, and hope I can say I've hunted that long one day.

A very diplomatic response. However, and with all due respect, I feel like modern bullet design improvements are often overlooked by gentlemen with 56 or so years of hunting experience. It has to be considered at least as heavily as weight and caliber when making those calculations now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back