Hunting/Fishing Barriers to Entry

OpenSeason

Hey Everyone,

I am interested to hear some of your all's biggest barriers to entry for either fishing or hunting.

As child I lived overseas and never had the chance to go hunting or learn from a young age.

Once I got to college all I wanted to do was hunt and Fish but found some considerable challenges. Mainly for hunting.

I wanna hear your all's biggest "BtoE" and how you all overcame them?

I think the one of the biggest limitations these days is intimidation of not knowing how/what to do. In this digital age, figuring it out as you go doesn't seem to exist as much as it used to. Looking back, I think that my biggest B2E was learning the laws. I'm a reasurcher type by nature, so I overcame this by (drum roll please)... researching and learning.

For sure! My issue sometimes was analysis paralysis. There are some many resources now that is literally is info overload and so many competing voices and opinions. That is great!

Looking back, I think that my biggest B2E was learning the laws.
Honestly this is still on going for even a guy that starting hunting when he was around 8 years old (so over 25 years ago for me).

There is always a little bit of nervousness and anxiety that exists when I'm hunting a new place - especially if we find out that we have the place all to our selves. Really makes me question whether or not we are supposed to be. Like for example, just recently in Arizona we spotted a guy in full camo sneaking about a mile away. I quickly had a "o crap" moment as I quickly pulled my wife's deer tag out of her pack and confirmed that we were legal to be hunting there at that time (even though we obviously checked before going). Then it dawned on me that maybe hunter orange isn't required. We were both wearing orange vests and hats. Opened the regs and I couldn't find anything about orange being required.

So many rules and so many differences from state to state its really hard to keep track of them all.

Honestly this is still on going for even a guy that starting hunting when he was around 8 years old (so over 25 years ago for me).

There is always a little bit of nervousness and anxiety that exists when I'm hunting a new place - especially if we find out that we have the place all to our selves. Really makes me question whether or not we are supposed to be. Like for example, just recently in Arizona we spotted a guy in full camo sneaking about a mile away. I quickly had a "o crap" moment as I quickly pulled my wife's deer tag out of her pack and confirmed that we were legal to be hunting there at that time (even though we obviously checked before going). Then it dawned on me that maybe hunter orange isn't required. We were both wearing orange vests and hats. Opened the regs and I couldn't find anything about orange being required.

So many rules and so many differences from state to state its really hard to keep track of them all.
In AZ a guy in camo sneaking around in the country could have NOTHING to do with deer hunting!! We had a couple of stocks busted in January of '21 due to hunting near the border.

This for sure!

Another big barrier is simply the draw system for each state. Every state has a different system, and none of them are easy to navigate. Trying to learn how to put in for tags, preference points, etc is just a mess. It would be nice if there was 1 system that was used across the board.

Unless you live near a lot of public land one big challenge can be access. When I got started I had this issue. I started with a shotgun and slugs. A pair of surplus camo and some of them jungle boots. I had a piece of crap pack And a plastic canteen. I had two $7 knives , you know like survival knives with compasses in the handle. Heck I didnt even have a sharpener Or know enough to have one. I found a place to hunt and just started hunting. You could buy a hunting mag for info but that was way before then internet.

Being new to hunting myself, only 2 seasons in, I’m finding barriers most everywhere.
  • Regs, property ownership, tag/permit requirements: Draw tags was an entirely new concept to me, have to accept the fact that starting at 30 it’s very possible I may never be able to hunt certain animals gaining 1 point a year. Property ownership of industrial timber, who allows access, who doesn’t, who requires permits, etc. Even some public/BLM lands are closed to hunting, but I’ve had to call 4 different agencies weeks in advance to find that out.
  • Terrain & companions: Many places that hold animals aren’t the sort of places I am willing to go into alone. Places where it’s easy to get hurt, and hard to be found if no one knows where to look. Finding new friends that are hunters, or interested in learning, is a difficult task as an adult.
  • Cost: gear is expensive, and takes a while to accumulate. Tags aren’t exactly free. Access permit fees, for example Weyerhaeuser owns a vast majority of the timber land in OR, but a vehicle access permit is over $300, and only allows access to specific timber units. F&W require watercraft permits. Seems like there’s a cost to nearly everything.
  • Fishing: The regs of what bodies of water are open when and to what species is so convoluted that I pretty much stick to one spot that I know is safe to catch & keep hatchery rainbow trout, and don’t bother even trying to fish anywhere else or for anything else.

Unless you live near a lot of public land one big challenge can be access. When I got started I had this issue. I started with a shotgun and slugs. A pair of surplus camo and some of them jungle boots. I had a piece of crap pack And a plastic canteen. I had two $7 knives , you know like survival knives with compasses in the handle. Heck I didnt even have a sharpener Or know enough to have one. I found a place to hunt and just started hunting. You could buy a hunting mag for info but that was way before then internet.
I've definitely felt this. I'm between Utah and South Carolina. Eastern states have a lot less public land than western states so that has been a huge barrier.

Absolutely! I've noticed some states have their regs pretty clear and the websites or literature they offer on them are good. While others will have the regs on a website that has not been updated since 1999. Definitely exaggerating but some times feel that way.

Absolutely! I've noticed some states have their regs pretty clear and the websites or literature they offer on them are good. While others will have the regs on a website that has not been updated since 1999. Definitely exaggerating but some times feel that way.
go look at the Arizona waterfowl regulations. Definitely could use a boost in artistic appeal!

IMO biggest barrier to entry is actually barrier to staying. Getting on land and seeing animals. If you don't know how to figure out where to look, it's random

Having a mentor helps
When I moved to Alaska, a mentor 15 years older than me and with 30 years of experience taught me everything
from catching my first king salmon to shooting my first Dall ram. Without him I likely would have floundered for years.

I took hunter safety at 12, and hunted small game with my dad a half dozen times a year. Really liked it, and wanted to hunt deer when I was 16 or so. I lived in Nebraska and had heard horror stories about public land deer hunting and the pressure, safety issues etc. At 18, I found someone to let me on their small piece of land for muzzle loader season, and have been hunting deer every year since then (29 years). Biggest challenge was finding land to hunt on, where I felt safe, and the 2nd thing was having never seen anyone gut a deer. I had helped skin and butcher deer, but never field dressed one. My buddy's dad explained the field dressing process to me in great detail a half dozen times. This was before youtube etc.. Ended up gutting my first deer by myself and didn't puncture anything.

So to echo some of the above responses: Access, and a Mentor to provide guidance held me back from entering into big game hunting.

it is very true that land access can be an issue, even out in wyoming, where l live there isn't a ton of public but there are some hidden holes that hold animals but you have to invest a lot of boot leather, sweat, and glass till your eyes bleed to find them. you have to look at every trip as a success in one way or another, if anything you might have learned where not to waste your time in the future.

You can't draw a tag anymore.

And otc is a circus.

I wouldn't guess there were any b2e.

Asymmetric knowledge and letting your mind beat you. My first year in AK was an overwhelming shit show. I was definitely the sucker at the poker table. Do tons of research and ask a lot of what if questions and get to the point of analysis paralysis and just send it. I have had some heroic failures and then once in a lifetime successes based on dumb luck and being out there. Educate yourself , call biologist and ask for published data(not their opinions) and find high odds of success hunts. Having a buddy or mentor helps a lot as well but are hard to find. Expect failure and be mobile.

Lack of understanding how the draw system works.
Lack of understanding of regulations.
The most important is Lack of funds.

The last one is what has primarily kept me from hunting out of state. Fortunately I live in Arizona so the in state opportunities for big game are good.

I was lucky that had dad that took me everywhere for fishing and hunting and was always my partner. The barrier I now face is access and people to hunt with. Every tree but one that I use to hunt in new york or ohio has been cut down or no longer able to access and I have been up quite a few trees.

All the new hunters competing for tags and having 4 kids has hurt and helped going out west. Youth hunts are and have been amazing in WY 2 tags and AZ 7 tags, but I have only had 1 Antelope buck tag and 4 antelope doe tags in last 5 years. The last time I hunted for a male/bull was Colorado over counter 70 bow 2016. Before that it was 2003. Antelope doe in WY is getting very tough. Need to go to points for Antelope doe so can plan.
I need to a new friend that can handle job wife kid responsibilities for 50 and half weeks of year and get away for more than a weekend and likes to hunt. I have 21 Colorado elk 14 deer points and 9 WY elk and 6 deer points. Also know a place to hunt moose for 1400 tag and camping permit so 2000 total. Really want a bear in WY or Idaho in spring. Do a Gen tag hunt in WY archery then rifle if don't succeed and then go to Colorado 2-3 years unit 76 and have my only glory tag hunt I will ever have. I was seriously going to give hunting up here a few weeks ago after my bear hunt to NJ because I couldn't get anyone including my own kid (mom said no to missing 2 days school/grades) to go with me, but i ended up having too much fun. My Dad has dementia and has trouble walking over the lawn. Each time for the last few years I always say it is the last but it really has gotten there. We will probably need to put him in a facility soon.

Last edited:
I know plenty of people that, not knowing, not understanding or not caring about, hunting laws has never been any kind of barrier to hunting.

I do miss the good old days when you just bought a license and a tag, the season started on this date and ended on that date, and you could hunt anywhere you wanted. The only barrier when I first started hunting was that adults with cars didn't always want to go hunting as often as I did.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back