Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting Colorado (out of state Hunters)

hunter72

Hunting Colorado (Out of state Hunters)
I have been Hunting CO for a good many years. Look into your hunts even after you check with CPW Bio's and hear how good the unit is. I absolutely Love to hunt CO. But! I think what a lot of us whom been there done that sorta speak really needs to spend the extra time looking into what the Dept of Wildlife says.
I have found in many cases that in places where the herd population is up at or a little above there objective More tags are issued (Big Time). The one thing I don't want to see. Think about it: Ok! Deer populations are up so lets get that tag and watch hunters running all over that unit because your definitely not the only one whom they said the same things too.
Once trophy class bucks in units now over populated and what we've seen is many bucks but small bucks.. For that guy whom wants the meat this is great. But again for those traveling long, long distances to kill a very nice trophy Mule you really need to do the homework. After you hear all the good things about a unit don' t just chat with the Bio, chat with the game officer, and then try and chat with hunters whom hunted the year prior and pick there Brain. This is where you will get by far the best info is from the hunter whom hunted it the year prior if they are willing to get the info.
What I have found if a guy just doesn't want to tell you anything then its a great bet there is a reason why. Then we can go further looking into a good unit.
I look for good units but during my conversations I'm really looking for great units that don't need a ton of points to draw. They are definitely out there its the time involved looking for them. Colorado has many believe me. I hunted a unit for 6 yrs with a disaster us kill off in 2008. each yr after the hunting was great I mean great seen lots of Bucks and really good bucks and some trophy bucks. The the Dept added a bunch of Tags and each yr after have continued adding tags because the population has exploded. My Son went back last season in 2019 and said the deer were there lots of deer and with one of the best 3rd season conditions in 2019 all they seen were small buck. People every where and complaining how good it was suppose to be according to the dept of wildlife. So Guys take the Bull by the horns and spend the time really looking into the places you hunt. In the 55 years hunting these Mulies, if your looking for a good buck do the homework as CO and Utah have some great opportunities even with a lot of points.
Anytime you look at a unit and hunters are drawing with there second choices has to tell you something. They are usually putting in for a great hunt first choice and meat hunting with a second choice and not loosing a point with a second choice draw. makes sense and this is what has happened with a unit that we hunted and now it is a small buck meat hunt.
Good luck gentlemen , no great luck in your 2020 hunts and thanks for listening and you time. sculler72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back