Hunting Cabin

Moosie

Grand poopa
So.. over the Weekend I was working on a Cabin plan. I bought a 1 Acre piece in the hills and figured I'd build a little "Shanty" that I could stay at while Hunting...... And my dad/mom could retire at... and maybe have some Family reunions ....up to about 40 people .. :D :D

Anyways, here are a couple of the pics I've been working on. I have 2 requests :

1. If you don't know what a cabin plan should look like, Keep yer Piehole shut.

2. What do you think of the plans and What can I do different to make the cabin better ?

I have a Space downstairs that is open right now in the back that I could make another bedroom or play room out of or not put in a wall and leave it open for something else.... Not sure. Any Ideas ?

PLAT :

PLAT2.jpg

Elevations from back and front (Yes, I know they aren't complete, it's conceptual :

elevations2.jpg

Main level. I made the main level with the Kitchen, living room, master bedroom, and wash so that as my parents get older and if they don't want to drudge up and down the stairs they can stil lstay there. Sure it's a LONG way off for them but I'mthinking ahead !!

2ND2.jpg

and the downstairs :

1ST2.jpg

Here is a bigger picture of the MAin floor (Or the Downstairs I guess) :

1ST3.jpg

Under the Stairs there is a 1/2 Bathroom and the front room to the left has 3 sets of bunks in it for the kids.the Back area/room up from the Pool table and BAr area is the Area I don't know what the best use of it will be.....

Wow!!!! Looks awesome!! I should try and get some pics of my brother in laws cabin!! It's the kind of cabin I could see you in Moosie. Its around 5000 sq. ft. The garage is underground in the basement, plus storage area for their snowmobiles and quads.

I like your plans. The only other thing I would look to add.....maybe a loft area above the garage. You could use it as a trophy room, kids playroom, media room, lots of ideas....but the extra square footage would be NICE!!

Mines not going to be the 5k or anywere around it.... OK, Somewere around it ...3816ft2 but not that close. I actually thought about adding a loft above the garage but I haven't gotten that far yet in the design either. The walls will be 10' walls and the main living room downstairs will extend to the second story. It's all open. the front Triange piece is all windows for the View. So as far as Hanging some Critters, well, It's acounted for. More then I can/will shoot in a lifetime.......

I might set it up to Add a room above the Garage but just not build it out yet. This cabin is a little out of my price range but we will build what we can and then keep adding on. The main Shell and stuff will be done with one bathroom and the remaining bathrooms and kitchen stuff will be added a year or two after the house is lived in. We'll see how it all goes and what it takes per Ft2 to build.

I would love to see some Cabins and hear Idea's. We've moved rooms many times already to get jsut the layout we're looking for. All new Ideas are good. I hope to start building next year.

Moosie,

I would have to see other views and some dimensions, but the first thing that caught me would be the valleys on the roof between the garage and the main house. You have a lot of snow to move off the roof and I think a big chunk of it will get hung up in the valleys between the roof for the grarage and the main house on either side.

Good thinking with the big walls for critter hangin. I second the call for a loft above the garage.

Jose, that might be a problem.......

I penciled in a loft above the Garage... I put in Dormers on the Side for windows. If could be an Extra 700Ft2. that would be a good size bonus room ;)

Moosie,

Idahotrus makes some bonus room rafters todo the area over the garage, just depends on the snowload and the span you are working with. Skip the dormers, as they will just make the snow sliding more difficult off the roof. And with it being a bonus room/loft, that may not always be heated,even more trouble sliding the snow off that section of the structure.

Also, I don't like toilets on exterior walls for freezing and for issues with venting the drains. You don't want the vent pipes low on the roof as the snow sliding will rip them off the roof each winter.

Sounds like you have a Cabin or two in the Snow area ;)

On that note, We're gonig to be up by one of the Lakes by one of your Cabins next weekend...... Is there an Extra Key lying around :D J/K We're bringing up the Camper. Will be camping were we did last year.

I might move the Plumbing to an Inside wall but there needs to be some plumbing exposed.I have a 7/12 Pitch on that roof and It's not Shingled it's a Slideable green metal. I didn't think about the Upstairs being closed off most of the time for heat. I also have to figure out my Heat source too. I'll have power, but that goes out alot in that area. I'll have a Wood Stove. and I'll have a Pellet stove too. I might throw in a 2nd Pellet stove in the Area Above the Garage. We'll see.....................

Moosie, in the kitchen look at pantry cabs with roll-out shelves instead of the walk-in pantry. You will get alot more useable space without wasting the entire corner of the kitchen. In the master maybe move the toilet and the shower that way the tub and the shower are right next to each other and a tile layout can cont. thru both with some clear glass. Not to mention when I come up the wife and I can jump back and forth from tub to shower.hump Also if you have to poop and your wife is in the tub it doesn't ruin the weekend. Maybe switch the M.B. door to a pocket door. I don't reallly like them but they do have there place.

When the place is plumbed make sure all the supply lines are back graded then when you drain them a minimal amount of water will be left to freeze. Wirsbo pipe is supposed to be pretty freeze thaw stable. I don't know this for sure but that is one of their marketing tools. If you do a mirror image of the laundry-bath that will put most pipes on the inside walls then the toilet supply could come thru the floor or you could build a wall between the 2 and bring it up the wall. Maybe in the laundry stack the washer-dryer and build another closet for extra linens and towels. When you build this cabin you are gonna need them with all your new friends.:D

smowload can be easily fixed 8/12 pitch with a steel roof would be pretty good unless you are talking a huge amount of snow like 8 feet or more then you'll need a 10/12 or 1 12/12 pitch, trusses get more expensive when you start addiding pitch. vallies will not be a problem with steel. will this be log or stick frame with cedar or red wood siding? is their a fireplace?

That isn't a hunting cabin. It's a house! Looks like something you'd have in Winter Park, near the ski area.
If that turns you on, go for it.

I've been wanting to do the same thing, and have been looking for ground for a few months now. However, my idea of a hunting cabin is; pretty small and compact so it can be heated entirely with one wood stove, very simple construction, no maintenance, and have the ability to kill power, shut off the heat and leave. Also want to build something I can pay cash for. Making payments would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Looks very good . For all the years ive been building id say you got the floor space used up . Im wondering if you planed on a fire place? And is that a half wall between the kit. and liv.? loadbarring may be a factor. no numbers on it so i guess you would have to tell me the square ft.? but other than that it looks great!

just a few thoughts Moosie.
What is the safe load bearing slope for that size house.
Is 7.5/12 pitch enough or consider 8 or 10 pitch.
Also the load bearing floor what are the floor joist going to be. Consider I-joists! they are less likely to sqeak after the subflooring and flooring is on top. Also what type over hang off the roof do you have and have you considered the water coming off when the snow melts and where its going? have to keep it diverted from going down near the foundation. Causes that to shift/settle down the road.
Consider subflooring radiant heat, backed up by solar heating. OR at least solar back-up water heat for those days when power does go out.
Also the septic system needs to make sure it is below freeze line by double the recommended and marked by flag during construction so trucks dont crush it while delivering supplies.
I work for a lumber yard and that is one of our delivery nightmare to new construction because the yards arent settled yet.
Otherwise it looks good and I second the thought of moving the pipes away from the outer walls and having a access or false wall to reach them in case of bursting.
Just my .02
Go for it dude! hope your parents enjoy it as much as I think they will.

Now where is this cabin at ? I am sure you'll find no problem getting designing help. You might be able to get some labor trade for an occasional use.

no numbers on it so i guess you would have to tell me the square ft.?

It's about 4k ft2 with loft.

It will have a Fireplace it's on the Right side in the last picture.

I'm actually going to meet with a Prefab Log Cabin Company this Tuesday Evening. I'm gonig to see what that option will cost.

Now where is this cabin at ?

It's in Lowman, Idaho (Sawtooth Mountains) It's gonig to be a Hunting cabin as well as a Family getaway place. As far as Help, I'm not gonig to build it myself, It would cost me more to do that. Time is more valuable.

Is 7.5/12 pitch enough

I will have to have the Final Design before I calc the Snow loads on it. But trust me, There will be calcs. :D

I like the layout, and anything can be done with a house/building to make it 'work'. I agree with what some others posted... keep water lines off outside walls or you'll have problems. I do have a couple concerns/questions though.

1. Where will your septic and well be located? Doesn't look like much room to squeeze it in.

2. What about regulations concerning construction on/near steep slopes? Is there supposed to be any buffer? Your walk out basement looks like it walks out to... a cliff.

3. Soil borings? Is it fill, or exising soil, bearing pressures etc? Can you phisically keep the house on the hill with out having to go crazy with foundation design? This could get REAL spendy in a hurry...

Do you have any restrictions concerning locations of well/septic/house, i.e setbacks etc???

Come on Bambi, I own an Engineering firm, Is that why you're questioning me ? ;) ( I'll post the Calc's online when I'm to that point for Review.... Can you Stamp them ? :p )

1. Septic will be located on the Slop, We are gonig to do a Cross Cut on the Downhill side and use an Extended treatment System as a Package.

2.Regulations in Boise County are next to nill :) That being said the Contours you see are existing and not the Proposed ones. Wit hthe bottom floor being built straight down and the walls 10' high the Countour pad in the Back yard will be more like a lagrge pad then a Sloped hill. I plan to have a Fire pit and a Jacuzzi back there as well.

3. The hill consists of Rocky soil. I haven't donw a Soils bore yet. We'll see on the Foundation/footing design. I figure once the House is laid out we'll design the Supports.

On the septic there are restrictions. X' from dwelling, X' from Well, X' from prop line. I'm gonig to put it on the Downhill side behind the house.Will make for Easy flow hopefully.

House also has Setbacks but are Minimal. The front is like 20' and 10' from rear. Nobaody knows anything about property pins and property locations up there so I might have to Adjust the front line to make sure It's a Solid fit ;)

Tomoprrow I go look at a Log cabin Kit. Nothing like playing Lincon logs with 18"-20" dia logs 40' long ;)

First off, you can call it a cabin all you want, but it aint a cabin, it's a full on retirement/vacation/mcmansion. Calling that place a cabin is like calling a outhouse a full bathroom, just cuz you take a crap in either don't make'em the same thing.

Other wise, thats a beautiful place. You might look at some battery backup power if your electricity goes out. Use an iverter to charge the batteries while your there, and then set them to kick on if power supply is cut off. My folks live 40 miles from the nearest electricity, run their place on generators and batteries and when your inside the house you'd never know it.

One thing I would do if you have power, is put one freestanding propane stove in the place, their fans don't use much power, if you have the battery backup, that will run the fan when your gone and still keep some heat circulating in the house and will help prevent water/pipe freeze-up, just set the thermostat on the propane stove and walk away. They are fairly economical and it's pretty nice if your gone for 2-3 weeks and get there late friday night after work not to walk into a house thats 30F. As far as the roof goes, my folks place if 8/12 green metal in an area that generally has 6-7 feet of settled snow on the ground by the time mid march rolls around and it slides quite well, I think your roof is good.

One thing I noticed is one of your roof valleys has got your snow sliding directly down onto a deck in front of a set of dutch doors=lots of shoveling if the area gets much snow, although from your drawings I can't tell if you've got the roof eve extended way out away from that, so maybe it's fine.

It's no "cabin" but it's darn sure going to be a beautiful place, congrats and let us see some pictures once it's done.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back