Hunting Bucks In The Rainforest

I just watched the first episode and yeah, can’t wait to try that roast recipe. Good grief that looked incredible.

No kidding! Jim seems like the type of guy who awes others by his vast knowledge and experience in a place, some of us, will never experience. Plus, he seems like a down-to-earth great guy! By far, one of Randy’s best guest hunters!
Agreed, I have watched both the antelope episode and the AK episode multiple times. I love those muzzleloader hunts.

I'm late to the party since I just finally had time to sit down and watch the last two episodes, but I enjoyed that a lot. Having grown up in blacktail country and still living here in western Oregon, I was fascinated by the habitat footage that Marcus shot. Some things are similar to my area, and some are different. We certainly get the closed canopy, almost sterile understory, especially in reprod forests. Knowing where to find the edges and openings and how to hunt those areas is key. I'm also thinking I need to find one of those calls and spend a little time with it.

It was also comforting to watch Marcus's struggle to catch the deer encounters on video. Trying to pop up over someone's shoulder and find a small, dark-colored, moving deer at close range in the brush and then hope it will stop in the open for both camera and shooter is just so different here than in the typical open country of the Rocky Mountain states. It's one of the reasons I was looking forward to watching @Big Fin hunt Oregon elk this fall, just to see how he would approach it. And then there's the rain....

QQ

If Jim ever decides to retire I'd pay good money for him to walk me through the forests of Alaska and school me on all the flora and fauna.
I finally had time to sit down and watch all 3 episodes this weekend and was thinking the same thing!

Blown away, again, is all I can say. These Sitka deer episodes and the movie Rain Deer are my favorites.

And how can you not admire a guy who hunts with a Hawken and quotes lines from The Mountain Men.

Yat ta hey, Jim.
Let me know when you start your tours?

Joe

I second what TradeGun.62 said, and thank you to any and all that had a hand with these episodes. They are my favorites.

Last edited:
Just watched them. The videos did a great job of showing fun and challenge of that type of blacktail hunting. As long as the occasional doe comes in, I can slip around in the Tongass for days enjoying myself the whole time. The guys hunting the beach can have it.

I just got around to watching this series. I have to say, this was one of the most enjoyable series I’ve watched. Ever.

Jim is obviously a dedicated student of his game. His knowledge and powers of observation were refreshing to watch. Add the Hawken and what can you say?

Kudos to Jim, Jim, and Marcus. You guys hit it out of the park with this one.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back