PEAX Equipment

Hunting Bear in IDAHO!!!!!!!

Moosie

Grand poopa
I have posted that I like to Hunt BEar.... I really do. I have yet to Take a big bear but have taken 3 in Idaho. ONe every year for the last 3 years.... I wrote this Out and Am edditing it but Wanted to post it again to Get The Rest of you Bear hunters Fired up... This Is What I do In Idaho. I am going to hunt Unit 39 and 34 this year. Anyone Else hunting in IDAHO??

As of Any Game, The First thing to Hunting bear is there must be some in that location. We've gotten pretty good at knowing were bear are. Not like it's hard here, because Bear are everywere!!! If there isn't any in the Area then You are wasting your time. A good Way to find out is Look for random Overturned rocks, broken rotten logs and of course bear droppings (SCAT). Scat can look different at different times of the year but basically looks like Human Fesis but usually bigger and if there diet has a bunch of grass/berries then it could be more of a "pile". Bear Scat around our Bait is Usually BLACK. MAybe we feed them weird stuff HUH?!?!?
wink.gif

That being said And you know Bear are in the AREA, I would also check out a couple of other things. There are rules in Idaho that state you have to be certain distances from roads and water and Have to use a ground pit or a 55 Gal drum chained to a tree. MAke Sure you Follow All rules. Idaho Change some this Year and HAve in the LAst couple of years so I wil have to Refresh Myself and Get All caught Back up AGAIN!!! But it's well worth it.

I talked to JB Florida this Year and He is going to let me borrow a Camera to track the bear coming in. I will be posting alot of pictures here hopefully and this season I hope to get my first bear with a bow.

Here is the first bear I ever got '98.

Bear.jpg

We like to Bait Downhill from the road. Here's why. I only have to Carry ONE or TWO bears out from the bait site but have to bring in thousands of pounds of bait during the Season. I hoof it all on my own and don't use horses or 4-wheelers so that's my "DOWNHILL" theory. Also it is Easier to approach a bait site from the Top incase a bear happens to be already on that site. We have had bear slip in early and us SPOOK them off the site.

NOW, I look for thick places. Bears feel more comfortable if they can approach the bait site under "cover". You should be in an area that has plenty of cover yet able to see far enough to see a bear coming it. We found a Spot not to far from the road but it is in thicker area and it works well!!

Are you Going to hunt w/ a bow or gun, Are you planning to dig a pit or use a tree stand? Are you going to try to Spot and stalk or use bait. Are you going to run them with dogs?!?!!? Personally I like to BAIT. I would use Hounds But I don't have any so I use bait.

We have in the Past used Stands and Ground blinds. This year will be a stand w/ the Bow. I have taken my 3 bears in the last 3 years w/ a rifle and I think it's time for the Bow.

Here is Me in a STAND GOOFIN' :

treestand.jpg

Bait.....Is another key. There are several ways to do this. We use Barrels. We cut the lids off for an opening and Use hinges to put them back on. Then we have chains holding the Lids so they only open part way. I have promised to Post pictures of the Barrels and I will this year for sure
smile.gif
. I had promised that earlier but have been busy . We have used cheese and bread in the past. There was a cheese factory that we got cheese from but it has since closed down. We have also used cheap dog food. As you get rid of your elk/deer meat from the freezer this year replace the Space w/ old food scraps and old vegetables. Ahhh Which reminds me THE BEST BY FAR..to use in the spring is APPLES!!!! The bear kind of need to "WAKE UP" their system after the long winter "NAP". They eat slowly at first. Apples, we have found, are the best for the bears to get their system going and is Easy on their stomach. After they start hanging around, They eat anything...except jalepeno, but that is another story
wink.gif
. I will be heading down to the Orchards In two weeks to Fil my truck with Apples....

Here is my 2nd BEar I got :

bear1.jpg

OK, What haven't I talked about?!?!?! OH Yahh Size...They say that Ears are truly one of the best ways to judge. I like to look at size of body and hoe they move. If he waddles or looks like he is rolling almost when you see him, you can bet he is a shooter. Also a big bear will look rounder in the body rather than sleek like a younger one! If I was hunting over bait, I would get a bench mark of the height on a tree of close to the bait site to use as a "benchmark". Put up a piece of cloth or something else next to the Barrel for Size judgement.

Be forwarned...Little Bears tend to come to the Bait site first. They try to get in before the bigger bears do. I had a buddy shoot a yearling bear last year w/ his bow. When he brought it into fish and game there was 7 bear brought in that day. 6 of the 7 were yearling bear. Nothing wrong w/ bear management but if you are indeed looking for one to mount be careful. It takes a lot of practice. Bears ground shrink faster that any other species I know. I actually know 3 Guys getting SMALL bear last year. Only one said they knew it was a Small bear. I have had the experience that Big bear will come into the site a little closer to dark.

The time of year in the Spring that we bait it gets dark around 9:10 PM. We are usually at out sites at about 6-6:30 and dumping goodies. Lemme tell you It is hard to sit in a friggin tree stand for 2 hours....(At least for this Western boy). I will have more Ground Blinds this Year I think. We'll see though. Anyways. The earliest we've taken a bear I think Was like 8:25 PM. But we've seen bear in the bait as early as...7:00 PM I think.

Here is a Bear I spot/stalked last year:

beargrass.jpg

This year We will have several sites and I strongly recommend this for you too. We have had up to 3 barrels to start then usually only keep one after the first 2 weeks. This year will be different I think!!! Anyways. If you are looking for a good spot and think you've found one, Dump some bait. Check it often and maintain it. If you have someone, baiting in the Next canyon or two and They maintain their site....Well need I say more?!?! Maintaining brings me to my next point....SCENT!!

I think Scent plays NO roll if you do it right. We Dump our sent ALL over the site and do so all the time. We constantly Pee, hang sweaty shirts, Or whatever to leave or scent...Heres' why : If there is NO scent around, and One day you are sitting on the stand and the wind isn't just right or anything. and the bear smells you, and lemme tell you he will!!!! Bears can Smell for Miles in the field, You think you can Hide your scent from them, Think again BUDDY!!! Bears can Smell for MILES. I really Believe that!! If the Scent is ALWAYS there, the bear will eventually come ion late at night to check it out then start feeling more comfortable and Bombard it during the "WITCHING'" hours, Which is the last 2 hours of the day. So that's my Story and I'm sticking to it.....

I came across a Fish BAit GEL called "SMELLY JELLEY" and am going to use that this year to Sent up the Place. There are different types but I think It ALL stinks!!!! Which is What you Need when You huntbear.

We also Do a Honey burn. We put about 1/2" honey in the bottom of a Old soup can and Put it on a Bunsen burner and Cook it slowly.. That sent smells the Air up real good. I will take some Pictures Of That on our hunt also!!!!!

Well...... Enuf typing for Me. Wait for some pics and Constant updates After APRIL 15TH!!! Thats when The season Opens up... And Lemme tall ya I CAN't WAIT!!!!!!!!

Any one else excited ?!?!!?!?

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Moosie
I got razzed some on the Hound section about being a Masterbaiter.But you the Man
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You want a job this fall??????

When we do a honey burn we use honey and bacon fat in a can,Then use a burnsomatic torch and actually burn it. The smoke caries farther seems to cling to the surrounding trees.We also use fryalater greece and make sure theirs plenty on the ground for the bear to walk through.When they leave they leave a trail for other bear to follow.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey
View

Gotta agree with Tobey Moosie, you da man!!!!! Not to long till the season opens now!!! We have used the restaraunt greese method but havent burnt bacon fat yet. Looks like it would help tho!!!! I know just cooking bacon in camp will bring bears in!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Good luck moosie this year and look forward to the pictures. I got to get some baits out next month myself!!! Its sneaking up on me already. I dont have but three baits so I will never get my "masterbaiter" patch
frown.gif
bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Hey Oscar whats the deal with nonresidents hunting bears in Idaho ????? can i legally shoot a bear off a residents bait site ahh like yours
biggrin.gif
????? i think i go down hill a little ways .......
smile.gif
smile.gif

great bears bro!!! im still waiting to shwaaaaack me one a dem bruins!! with my bow also!!! GOOD LUCK cant wait for the update!!!

------------------

fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

DKO....I read that Idaho will let anyone hunt off anothers bait this year without buying a $15 baiting tag(used to be $1.50). It used to be anyone hunting over bait had to have there baiting tag on the site now only one tag needs to be on it. The only exception was an outfitters bait site and the paying client/hunter did not need to buy his/her own baiting tag. So as to say it is alot easier now but it will cost ya $15 if the site is only yours. If ya share the site you can divy the cost and work. Or ya can follow Moosie in without him knowing and hunt his site during the week while he is working hehehehehe Sorry this was confusing hope it helps.
Chris

------------------
shooter2.gif
deer2.gif

moosie you ain't playing fair!!! you posted those pictures just to toy with my "emotions". if i don't get a bear this year here in california(and i better!!!!!!!!)then i am heading for idaho!I GOTTA GET MY BEAR!! keep us posted. i also have game camera but i wasn't to sure how effective it would be because we can't bait down here.

MTranch
thats pretty interesting, thanks! it would be pretty tough for me to maintain an active site from fla. i have a place in maine to hunt but same problem there! its almost as cost effective to do a guided hunt for bear beings i live in fla.! so i guess ill have to just follow moose to his site
smile.gif
smile.gif
Hey moose ya need a video man for next bear hunt live action as it happens?!?!?!? huh what do say buddy
smile.gif
huh huh ???
biggrin.gif

------------------

fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

DKO, I would Love to Be the Video man for ya... Not need for you to FLY all this way jsut to Video tape ME ?!?! RIGHT !?!?! Season Opens April 15th and Closes May 15th. We could go out with GATOman and Chase bears but You couldn't shoot one unless you got a Hound hunters Permit. Those Unlike Baiting permits are HARD to come by..
frown.gif

MT ranch is right, Any Yahoo can huntover bait. I would b happy if you wanted to Sit over mine with me. I hope to Run several of them. It's all in the LUCk ya know...BUT WE wouldn't be swaping now, Roumor has it that's Illegal
biggrin.gif
go see BIG SKYS post inthe fireside on READ THIS MOOSIE.. Hhmmmmmmm

C.C., I'm guessing that that cammera won't do ya no good.. Just ship it off to me and I will take pictures of the bear ya want to shoot next year
smile.gif

LOL Tobey, I would love to HUNT with ya and Help ya but Unfortunately I need to MAke some Money... Maybe in a few years When Money isn't the Issue I will Help ya. Got them Wolves t the door ya know
smile.gif
I still love your Signature.. And Who would call you a MASTERBATER.. Uhhh BAITER ?!?!
wink.gif

Also, I burn the Honey as well.. Maybe I didn't write that ?!?!? Humm I;'ll go look see.. I haven't used Bacon Greese. I have heard about Pouring it on the Ground so they Will leave trails for other bears. THANK for the HELP!!!

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter

moose.gif

[/list]

I can't wait to get out there! A friend at work had a bear up at his cabin Northeast of Blackfoot last weekend. Looks like they are already up and around in eastern Idaho. Mild winter and incredible warm weather this past few weeks has em up and on the prowl. Hurry up April 15th!! Thanks for the info Moosie. This is the 1st year I plan to really make a serious go for bear, generally I just carry a rifle and a tag when I scout elk. This year I will bait unit 64 and spot and stalk in 62a. Good luck to all and keep us posted on how you do. I am looking into a photo timer for the bait site, anyone had good luck with these?

Shoot straight and take a kid hunting!

ELKCHASER

------------------

moosie, Thats a real nice cinnamon bear there. I'm not hunting Idaho, but hopefully in the next week (depending on weather) I'm going after the blackies. This fall if I get drawn I'm hunting kodiak for the big bears. I love bears, I can never get enough of bear hunting.

Moosie......I'll keep my ear to the ground for any bears up this way making trouble(the game warden lets me know). We can hunt bears up this far in the high country in Unit 36/36A until June 30.
Chris

------------------
shooter2.gif
deer2.gif

I'm new to the forum and have never shot a bear. Been hunting fer um for several years, half heartedly, but never connected.
We, in Washington, have no Spring bear season (small,limited draw only), but I kayak in Idaho, during spring bear season and see alot of VERY nice trophy animals, every year. Where we camp, there is a large group of, very nice, hunters that bait on the North Fork Clearwater. Every day they would come in with at least one 300# or bigger bear. There were about 20 guys & girls camping there and by the end of Memorial Day weekend we would usually have seen 10 to 15 bears, in that camp alone.
I'd really like to link up with someone that hunts over there, just once, I'd like to get a bear. I can't imagine a better place than the Clearwater, Lochsa and Selway river system. Prettiest place on Earth! For sure!
Thanks for listening to my crying,
Devin

Devin, welocome to hunttalk this is a great place meet people and learn more about hunting!, not only is Moosie from idaho but lots of other great folks here from washington and idaho who would be more than willing to help ya out! we share the same quest for a nice bear, mine im hopeing to take with a bow! GOOD LUCK and glad ya stopped in and hope to see ya around!

------------------

fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Moose, i will make a deal with ya K. If you will come here and "HANG-OUT AND DO STUFF" with me for a few days then ill come "HANG-OUT AND DO STUFF" in Idaho!! with you for a few days K. I would love to come hang in idaho with ya, maybe next spring! what's there to do that time of year say arpil. 15-may 15th.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

DKO,
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You make me laugh!!! Just bring your gun and... Well MAybe we could go sighting them in. We would have to SPLIT the gas 50/50 because Of this new Fish and GAme enlightning
smile.gif
But I'm sure you're OK with that right ?!?! HEhehe

I tried calling you today and got a busy signal. I will try tomorrow after work on my way home....

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter

moose.gif

[/list]

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member