Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunting Antelope with a dog ?

Norcal-Noodler

Hello again,

Does anyone know if you can hunt antelope with a dog in Wyoming ?

My GSP is finally old enough that last year I started hunting deer and pigs with him,
he sits looking bored most of the day as I glass but is far happier out camping in the mountains with me than at home. He has helped me track a pig and was brilliant at it.
I took my deer last year on a quick trip i didn't take with him though.
I'm sure he would love to go for some hikes with me in Wyoming and always loves the bang of any gun :)

I know every state has different rules - In California you can''t even track a sheep, bear, bobcat, or elk with a dog on leash - but deer is open as long as it's only 1 dog per person

Thanks,
Tobias

So let's make sure everyone is clear. Before you get blasted. You just want your dog with you right? Not actually use your dog to hunt with like in the south..

Canine?

I'm not exactly sure why anyone in their right mind would want to take a dog with them in the field while hunting most big game species? Any 4 legged canine is a threat to game...if they spot or smell your dog they will be on high alert and head the opposite direction? It could be nearly impossible to get within shooting range? With that said...I'm pretty sure there is no law against it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not exactly sure why anyone in their right mind would want to take a dog with them in the field while hunting most big game species? Any 4 legged canine is a threat to game...if they spot or smell your dog they will be on high alert and head the opposite direction? It could be nearly impossible to get within shooting range? With that said...I'm pretty sure there is no law against it!
Have you seen how antelope react to orange and white setters? Maybe you have as you did say most big game species.

I see no reason why not. There's been pics posted on this very site of a yellow lab tagging along on a mtn goat hunt.

My best hunting partner I have ever had was my German Shepard "Boone". He went on 2 antelope hunts with me in Wyoming, and 1 in Colorado, but that dog went everywhere with me. Best thing about him is that he had his own backpack and didn't mind being loaded with water, lunch or meat after the hunt. Sometimes he would go on stalks with me, sometimes he would lay in the bed of the truck in the shade if it was too hot for him.

I can't think of a hunt I didn't bring him on in the 13 years he was with me, except for deer and elk I would leave him at the truck or at camp. Antelope to me is just a more laid back type of hunt.

The hardest part of taking him antelope hunting was training him to use boots after the first hunt where he kept getting cactus in his feet. That dog didn't want anything to do with anything on his feet.

Have you seen how antelope react to orange and white setters? Maybe you have as you did say most big game species.

Yeah a ruttin' antelpe buck or two have thought my brittanys were pretty cute and needed some love. I never let the romance get very far though.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back