Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

One of my best friends dad was doing a deer drive with some neighbors I believe it was. Someone shot back into the driver's and he still has the 12 ga. Slug lodged in his neck, I guess it was too risky to remove. Horrible.

Yes, sad indeed. And, unfortunately all too common. I mentioned in another thread that I was shot in the neck and head years ago by a rabbit hunter. Fortunately, not serious. My next door neighbor quit deer hunting after being shot at. The guy's argument was "but I heard something". A guy I know who has now passed shot another hunter while turkey hunting. Not fatal, but certainly life changing for both! I cringe every time I see a Youtuber (not carrying binos) point his loaded rifle at something using his scope to identify it. No excuse for that.

Sad. Sorry you and the family have to go through such a thing. I hate hunting around other people for this very reason.

I firmly believe that hunters should have to renew hunters safety ever so often, or we need a way to track stupidity. I think its really hard to teach people that failure is ok when it comes to hunting. Seems like some get so excited at the thought of success, that they can't control themselves.

Shooting at sound/movement, not paying attention to their surroundings, etc. Just think about all those times we hear about people flock shooting elk. Same difference. If you are mentally ok with that type of hunting, you are the type of person that will shoot someone else on "accident."

Sad. Sorry you and the family have to go through such a thing. I hate hunting around other people for this very reason.

I firmly believe that hunters should have to renew hunters safety ever so often, or we need a way to track stupidity. I think its really hard to teach people that failure is ok when it comes to hunting. Seems like some get so excited at the thought of success, that they can't control themselves.

Shooting at sound/movement, not paying attention to their surroundings, etc. Just think about all those times we hear about people flock shooting elk. Same difference. If you are mentally ok with that type of hunting, you are the type of person that will shoot someone else on "accident."
I believe in hunter safety education and agree once in a lifetime is not enough. But more than anything, I believe hunting around other people that practice gun safety ALL the time is a better educational tool.

I firmly believe that hunters should have to renew hunters safety ever so often, or we need a way to track stupidity.
You can't educate pork, I imagine some genuine hunters listen and learn, equally I imagine some treat it as a paper exercise?

@Jt13 that must have been horrific, I can't imagine what that must have been like for you.
I hope the injured guy recovers.

This wasn't my first, certainly won't be my last, but they never get any easier. The only hope is that someone will learn from it and prevent future accidents from happening. Its amazing to hear so many of you have your own hunting accident related stories. Hunting now is as safe as it has ever been but it only takes one mistake to end or ruin someone's life
I agree only takes one silly mistake and they are all 100% avoidable. I still have images of my first a 10 year old boy step dad shot in the back squirrel hunting accidental discharge. It never gets easier to see those type things really. That was over 15 years ago and I can still hear his mother's screams down the ridge from the house after we lost him during first aid waiting on rescue. You take care of yourself and prayers to all involved.

I believe in hunter safety education and agree once in a lifetime is not enough. But more than anything, I believe hunting around other people that practice gun safety ALL the time is a better educational tool.

I taught Hunter Ed for 25 years and hoped to make a difference with thousands of young hunters. 12 hours of class time to prepare a hunter for a lifetime of safe hunting ethics is a monumental task.

Once they leave the classroom and get out with uncle Bob or some other careless hunter, you hope they remember that 12 hours of instruction.

Bad hunting and unsafe gun handling isn’t only done by young people...

Someone getting accidentally shot by a coyote hunter? That is a strange one. Was it a ricochet or not knowing what was behind his target? Can't imagine mistaking someone for a coyote. Wait ... the guy must have been calling for them. That would explain it. Hard to believe someone would get so worked up about killing coyotes that he'd shoot at a sound.

I taught Hunter Ed for 25 years and hoped to make a difference with thousands of young hunters. 12 hours of class time to prepare a hunter for a lifetime of safe hunting ethics is a monumental task.

Once they leave the classroom and get out with uncle Bob or some other careless hunter, you hope they remember that 12 hours of instruction.

100% agree. I am sure you had a positive impact on many future hunters. I am only saying, and this applies to everyone, completing a hunter’s safety course does not make you a safe hunter. It hopefully gave them a knowledge base to go out and practice what they learned. Hunting with other hunters that are willing to correct mistakes is a huge tool in learning to do it the correct way.

I was running a decoy deer once during rifle season. A car pulled up, stopped, the driver rolled the window down and shot the decoy. I hustled to the driver's side, and was removing the rifle from the older man's hands. In the back seat was the 12 year old grandson of the shooter. The boy was wearing his brand new, orange, Hunter Education hat. The boy said ," I told you not to do that Grandpa". Made my whole season to hear that !!!!

I straight up tell the kids in my class, you may hunt with family members that do it wrong. It doesn't make it right.

Its not just guns. Dont forget about the danger of broadheads and knives, especially the razors on replaceable blades. Things could get real bad real quick if not paying attention.

After a long day at work I have but a few things to say:

1) Positively identify your target before you pull the trigger.

2) Dont lose track of your hunting partner(s).

3) A varmint bullet does some nasty damage to a human neck at 80 yards.

4) Tell your family that you love them.

Hunting accidents suck....

Just curious JT is there anymore details to the story you can give us? Or possibly a news article of what happened. I’m sure you can’t give too much openly if there’s any type of investigation

Back