Hunter Orange

Thanks. Hopefully you were able to retain one of his guns. They get the job done.

That BAR is the only rifle I own. My grandpa gave me $150 towards the purchase as a one-time special birthday gift when I turned 12 - hunting age at the time. I came up with the other $500 pushing a lawn mower around the neighborhood. The purchase was primarily driven by the fact that I was too short at the time to effectively work a bolt. I picked the 7mm mag out of the ballistics table as an 11 year old because it shot flat and hit relatively hard. Went with open sights for a few years until I felt the open sights cost me my first buck. Then I directed some more hard earned mower money to the VX-II purchase. The sound of the action closing on that gun is one of my favorite sounds on the planet. Nothing says it’s time to hunt like the sound of chambering a round in that gun.

You know, I’m really not sure what happened to the two he had. Both 30-06s. It’s all good. I did end up with a Winchester M94 from him.

I bought my father a BAR in .270 after I got my first full time job out of high school. After he passed, I gave it to my brother - the real deer hunter in the family.

9811B55B-4465-4FB2-B82D-7DBB17D01646.jpeg
Mistake in that second post - it was an extra $419.99+tax I had to come up with.

Just checked on pricing - looks like the price has just about doubled in the 27 years since I bought mine. A 2.6% inflation rate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back