Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

fairlife protein shakes with a scoop or two of my powder makes for an easy lunch with 78g protein and 390 calories. Has been my go to lately!

@Nick87 this is true, but it’s also a fun, low impact way to work out and get in shape.
And it’s about all we’ve got in Illinois.
And it’s prob a good way to wear the kids out if you can get them involved.
Looks like there’s some trails up your way.
And if you don’t mind hunting off trails, it’s a good way to scout for deer.
52CE36A0-EE39-4EAA-943C-9FC55A673E26.png

We are eating a lot of chicken too. My wife is doing weight watchers and chicken is zero points. It’s a good source of protein without the calories.

I’m not a fan of chicken, but I eat a lot when I get hungry. Usually I grill some breasts on Sunday then I have plenty for salad all week for lunch. I

The flavored tuna packets are a good go-to snack. My favorite is the jalapeno, but less than 100 calories and 18 g of protein. Doesn't fill you up, but it satiates the "I'm

Doing the same as both of these as well. 👍

So far since starting the post, I have lost 22 lbs (from 210 to 188). My calorie reduction was pretty extreme but not unpleasant or a problem, really, I ate much better with my choices, cut out most everything that was not healthy, and also have exercised more than recent past but by no means a lot. My weight loss endeavor made me realize just how bad I had let things go. Even with a generally stable weight over the past few years, I had CLEARLY been replacing muscle with fat. So the weight peeled off everywhere and I am now pretty scrawny underneath!!! I have begun lifting again and it is immediately helping but I am still slowly losing a little more weight despite eating more so I’m still figuring out how to stabilize and gain muscle, particularly upper body, arms, core. I am upping my protein intake dramatically to see what helps! Any weight lifting guys out there? What should I be shooting for to help gain back some good stuff? 200 grams/day?? Less/more?

In other news, at 47 and feeling like I had been unknowingly wasting away, not to mention all the other things like fatigue, irritability, and some depressed phases, I worried about my T levels which have tested somewhat low even 10 years ago (although I have also been told by two seperate women within the past two day period that they found me very… manly, LOL (I fix things, am tall, talk confidently to others, etc) - which felt very GOOD!) So I had it tested yesterday and was at 372 which is low/normal but I don’t know how that relates to my age. Anybody have an opinion on that? I hear weight lifting, eating better, sleeping more can help with that.

Last edited:
Nice to see everyone working hard... I'm up to almost 83 miles ran/walked so far this year. Haven't lost anything as of yet .... just started tracking my calories this week and I think that will be a huge help. Haven't started breaking it down by macro nutrients yet like I used to but that will come. I'm just starting small and working my way into it. So far this week I've been able to keep my net calorie intake under 2000 each day. Need to keep this consistent... I'm in at 182# as of this morning, my goal by July 4th is 175#

After vacation (last week of Jan), I decided to go on the carnivore diet for at least 30 days, workout 3-5 times a week and take cold showers. I bought a clod plunge tub and started doing that in place of the cold showers. Tomorrow will be 27 days on the diet, and 20 days of the cold plunges. I've lost over 14 pounds, tons of energy, and much less inflammation. I'll start adding walking and running in May.

For any of you guys watching calories what do set for your goal for the day? I've been trying to keep it right around 1,400 per day after figuring in my work out. Some days are easier to do than others.
I’ve experimented w/ counting calories several times in the past. I work out moderate to heavy so 2750-3000 is break even. I found anything more than -500 cal/day hard to maintain for more than a month…hunger just becomes overwhelming. -250 was much more realistic, can usually get there with plenty of fresh veggies to fill up my stomach. -250 is ~ 1 lb lost every 2 weeks, but that’s 26 lbs in a year. I’d MUCH rather lose 26 lbs over a year than in 2-3 months…

What should I be shooting for to help gain back some good stuff? 200 grams/day?? Less/more?
I don’t know what you should be eating, but I’ve been trying to get 200g/day over this last week, while still staying at or below 2050 calories/day and found it really hard to do unless you’re living off tuna packets and Greek yogurt.

Our dietician friend recommended I stick to 130 - 150g/day but I’m also 6’2” and 220 pds so maybe adjust accordingly.

From my understanding it can be best to put fat lose and muscle building/training/conditioning into separate phases. Unless you have a lot to drop and/or are really out of shape then it can be impossible to do them both simultaneously since you need to be in calorie deficit to lose fat and you need to be at calorie maintenance or above to build muscle, strengthen connective tissue, Etc. I haven’t done it like this but next year I might try to do a fat lose phase post hunting seasons (the time when I normally slack anyway) and then cycle into training after that period.

I’ve experimented w/ counting calories several times in the past. I work out moderate to heavy so 2750-3000 is break even. I found anything more than -500 cal/day hard to maintain for more than a month…hunger just becomes overwhelming. -250 was much more realistic, can usually get there with plenty of fresh veggies to fill up my stomach. -250 is ~ 1 lb lost every 2 weeks, but that’s 26 lbs in a year. I’d MUCH rather lose 26 lbs over a year than in 2-3 months…

Yah I will slowly build it back up. I usually jump start the firs three to four weeks like this. It helps me see some instant progress otherwise I lose interest.

Almost 68. Up to 180 lbs. My PSA is now .67
Rio loves the new food and the supplements . He can jump into the truck easy again.

The road trip to the clinic yesterday included stop for Rio cookies, smoker pellets and string line.
We hiked to the top of a lookout during one pee stop. Saw some elk and deer and Rio found a new bone. He can't jump into the truck with a elk leg in his mouth...lol. He took it to his yard that is covered in bones, when we got home. No burying bones in the orchard. I hope.

Since my January 5 post I have done a pretty good job I feel. Have dropped 23 pounds so far, but more importantly I feel a lot better. Dropped most of the extra weight I have been carrying and feel good moving around again. This far into it, I am not tempted nearly as much to make poor food decisions. Lifting heavy and trying to pack on muscle before this fall.

We are eating a lot of chicken too. My wife is doing weight watchers and chicken is zero points. It’s a good source of protein without the calories.
After I read this I was curious how many weight watchers points elk was. I saw a couple different point values but from weight watchers it says 2 pts for 3 oz. The website does not do elk any favors when it talks about flavor, texture, or cooking IMO.

Went to the doctor for my annual physical last week and got assigned what I thought I would: lose weight, track calories, etc. But for the first time in my life I tested for high cholesterol - by a slim margin. And the doctor wants to assign a statin of some sort. I think its a little early for that, especially when he already has me doing things that should make me healthier, but he argues that my family heart history says I should be on them now - even at 41 - since my dad's side of the family is prone to early heart attacks. I talked him off the ledge and to give me 90 days to religiously track calories and see what happens.

Anyone here on statins of some sort and having negative side effects? Some of the stuff I have researched makes it sound like they give you lingering issues in exchange for not maybe dying of a heart attack.

Went to the doctor for my annual physical last week and got assigned what I thought I would: lose weight, track calories, etc. But for the first time in my life I tested for high cholesterol - by a slim margin. And the doctor wants to assign a statin of some sort. I think its a little early for that, especially when he already has me doing things that should make me healthier, but he argues that my family heart history says I should be on them now - even at 41 - since my dad's side of the family is prone to early heart attacks. I talked him off the ledge and to give me 90 days to religiously track calories and see what happens.

Anyone here on statins of some sort and having negative side effects? Some of the stuff I have researched makes it sound like they give you lingering issues in exchange for not maybe dying of a heart attack.
My Dad was on statins and best summary is that statins maintain stasis. As in, there was little change in his existing activities and diet so the statins maintained where he was at slightly elevated, not dangerously elevated.

i would get second opinions from multiple doctors that review your blood work.

i'm of the opinion that dietary cholesterol is of no concern to the human body, it usually a carb/sugar issue, but that's my opinion, and i'm obviously not a doctor.

no reason diet and exercise won't get it under control regardless.

Well, I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but my current fitness goal is to get back to being able to run 6 miles in an hour. That was my very first fitness goal over 10 years ago to get in shape for hunting and then I got in super great shape qualifying for and running the Boston marathon and some ultra trail runs with one being a 50 miler. Then over the last 2 or 3 years I've let myself get almost completely back to where I was when I decided that I needed to get in shape in the first place. I've actually been getting in some 2 mile runs at around an 11 minute pace the last few weeks and ran 3 miles last night at a 10:53 pace. Slow as a turtle but at least I'm moving and burning calories.

Also at the heaviest I have ever been in my life at just a smidge under 260. Working on shedding some weight as well, would like to get to 225 by the fall but not sure that will happen but for sure plan on getting headed in that direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back