Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

Every fall I find myself, drinking too much, eating too many cookies, and not working out except for a weekend chukar hunt. Then I struggle with the pack for the first 3 months in the spring once it warms a bit and the sun actually shines (we live in the epicenter for inversions...25-30 deg all day, low clouds.). This year was the same, except maybe even worse. I need to commit to working out 3 days a week, and actually working hard when I'm working out, not coasting like I can in late summer/fall.
That sounds a lot like me. I’m going to try to take advantage of not working nights starting in January and actually work out hard 3-4 days a week. Maybe I can avoid the usual pain of spring bear season after a lazy winter.

I hit my 2022 goal of getting dropping 70 pounds and getting to 180. I ran a handful of 5k's last summer and want to try a half marathon this year. This hunting season definitely felt better than the last several. I was even able to consistently out hike my 16 year old football player son, who has been able to out hike me the past couple of seasons.

I set some goals last night while I was trying to stay out of the family drama with my wife's family. So all of these goals for 2023 essentially double from what I did in 2022. I want to run 1000 miles, Do 20,000 Burpees, 20,000 pushups, 40,000 situps and 40,000 airsauats. I also plan to throw in some weight training a couple of days a week.

I also plan to do a few more couple night hikes in the summer with my kids than I did last year. I get to busy with my side hustle and didn't get out as much or do as many scouting hikes as I should have.

I started a couple months ago but I want to get more consistent on working out. Fell out of it a bit with the younger kids but in a place to hopefully get better. Really need to get my legs stronger this year. No specific measurement of this but my hunts would have been more enjoyable if I was in better shape

I have my goals that I would like to reach, but I am trying to be realistic. My goals would be to lose 20lbs and be in as good of shape as I was in 2 years ago before: a hernia, a torn rotator cuff, a partially paralyzed left lung, and a nice little bout of covid with pneumonia. So my realistic goal is to make it a whole year not going to the hospital or needing surgery and maybe lose a few pounds if possible.

Last edited:
I’m pretty shocked at the way my body is feeling 3 months into having a newborn. Really shocked.

And ever since covid in July I’ve really not been the same, but still managed to run a trail half in September.

Was planning to run a 25 mile trail race in may but have grown very uncertain. I think I just need to sign up for it.

Did 1 mile at 12% grade on the treadmill 2 days ago and I was hobbling around again due to my achilles.

Goals:

maintain weight at 175-180

Be running 12 trail miles by april

Make sure my achilles doesn’t blow up in the process

I need a summer of peaks again, last summer was too depressing without that. Let’s shoot for 5.

Then roll into wyo general elk with the mountain legs I’m used to having.

Eat less garbage, spend more days on my mtn bike, hit local trail at least two days a week with a weighted pack once the trail is thawed, and lift enough weights to where it makes a difference. Not fitness related but I also want to get in at least one day a week at my local archery range

Last edited:
One goal is to avoid breaking a bone this year.

Post in thread '2022 Fat-Off' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/2022-fat-off.311144/post-3347131

Also, to get passed the mental block that I know have with lifting in general but heavy work specifically. Due to the break I'm on a few different medicines which has messed with my head and my body. I need to get active and drop some weight. Realistically, I need to lose 30+ lbs and get my cardio health and cholesterol under control.

I reached the point where I have to do something or I will be in trouble healthwise soon. I am 66, weigh 250 and experienced a TIA at elk camp this year, got diagnosed with BPH (enlarged prostate), dangerously high chloresterol, glucose consistent with type 2 diabetes. I am at the point where I have to do something now or my hunting will be over in short order soon. Goal is to get down to 180-200 before end of summer. I plan to include some day hikes where I get about a 10 mile walk in eventually including the mountains. 2-3 days at the fitness center for both aerobic and kinetic strength along with cardio in play to increase my stamina and endurance.

Do infants get altitude sickness? We'll find out! Nothing says fun toddler playtime like a touch of pulmonary edema.

Yes, I think this might be a thing. When my son was a toddler/preschooler he’d indicate that his chest hurt above 9000’ or 10000’. Getting back to lower elevation would immediately resolve it. It also only happened in winter, that I recall. He’s since grown out of it.

Not sure how common this is, but worth keeping an eye on.

This is a gigantic year for me—my wife and I will be selling our house, moving into a new house, and getting new jobs. If I can make it and still be a decent husband and dad, it’ll be a win—fat ass or not.

But I am planning to go on my first backpack deer hunt in what will soon be my home unit. The area I plan to hunt is about 10-12 miles into the unit’s wilderness area, so I’d like to get to a place where I can make that hike with 70 lbs on my back and not be completely gassed. Weights and weighted pack hikes—both on the incline treadmill and in the real world.

I hit my 2022 goal of getting dropping 70 pounds and getting to 180. I ran a handful of 5k's last summer and want to try a half marathon this year. This hunting season definitely felt better than the last several. I was even able to consistently out hike my 16 year old football player son, who has been able to out hike me the past couple of seasons.

I set some goals last night while I was trying to stay out of the family drama with my wife's family. So all of these goals for 2023 essentially double from what I did in 2022. I want to run 1000 miles, Do 20,000 Burpees, 20,000 pushups, 40,000 situps and 40,000 airsauats. I also plan to throw in some weight training a couple of days a week.

I also plan to do a few more couple night hikes in the summer with my kids than I did last year. I get to busy with my side hustle and didn't get out as much or do as many scouting hikes as I should have.
Holy crap! Was your name @Lilhowie83 before or after you dropped 70 lbs? Congrats bud, that's crazy.

Ugh... Fitness goals:

Goal #1: COMPLETED(Sadly) Costco sized Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream chips, new bag turned upside down and poured into garbage. I ate a couple and cried.

Goal #2: Buy quality elliptical I'll use "Santa Gut Hardcore" the first month. Then, every few days the next month. After, I'll hang my jackets on the machine.

Goal #3: Buy quality rowing machine and repeat #2 "Peak Performance" objectives.

Secret goal #4: buy a small bag of Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream chips and savor one chip after another...

Big goals:
Climb (hike) South Sister.
Learn to swim more than the frantic splashing I can manage now.

But mostly just trying to get my 10k steps every day, and enroll in fitness classes at the local gym. Had been doing them back in 2020 and it really got me in pretty good shape, especially my core, which currently needs the most improvement.

I don’t know that I will hit my big goals, but it’s important to have aspirations to work towards.

My weight is probably fine, but I definitely need to lose some around the middle, and put it back where it belongs, as muscle.

I’m in fair cardiovascular shape. I run, cycle, in addition to other activities.

I feel very rickety, though, and have become very prone to injury, at the not so old age of 46.

So my main goal for the year is to feel strong again, and less broken. I’m still in the process of putting together a plan, but it will likely entail a return to weights, and some flexibility work.

I feel like if I can improve this, improving my general fitness should come more easily.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back