Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

Three months from back surgery I’m trying to make a lifestyle change and get into a routine of weekly exercise. Doc said I don’t have a choice. I don’t mind doing the exercises it’s getting started that’s the problem. Working night shift seems to drag the will to do it out of me. I’ve been off for three months and that ends tomorrow night.
My yearly goal is to get in good enough shape to hunt elk this fall.

Make sure my achilles doesn’t blow up in the process
I remember you mentioning this on your epic ‘22 hunting thread. See a PT. I impinged my achilles in March. I figured it’d heal on its own, but it lingered and would get repeatedly aggravated until I saw my PT. It started improving very quickly after a few sessions, and it’s totally fine now, as far as I can tell.

Like a few of you have said already. My goal is to not have to buy larger hunting pants in the fall.

Continuing from the last couple years, I have a few goals:
Get to <205 lbs. Currently about 215 from 230 as high weight in last couple years. Was <205 in 2017-18.

5 pull ups. Currently can get 2 ugly ones. Last time I did 5+ was 2018.

20,000 total pushups.

2 min bar hang.

Signed up for trail 1/2 marathon in June, goal is <20 min/mile. Did similar one in 2021 and did 25 min miles but stayed with my wife for the whole thing and she was overheating.

Working on a total miles and elevation goal for hiking/running/mtb but would need a new watch to track that.

Still working on a goal for bench, squat and deadlift as well. Debating a max # vs. sets and reps.

Make sure my achilles doesn’t blow up in the process

I remember you mentioning this on your epic ‘22 hunting thread. See a PT. I impinged my achilles in March. I figured it’d heal on its own, but it lingered and would get repeatedly aggravated until I saw my PT. It started improving very quickly after a few sessions, and it’s totally fine now, as far as I can tell.

I did a full rupture on my Achilles 4 yrs ago, clean snap. I did not have issues before and did a decent amount of trail running and hiking, happened playing pick up basketball. About the worst thing you can do for your legs. I agree on seeing a PT and getting a program. Also check out knees over toes guy. I try to do heel drops, Patrick steps, tib raises, calf raise variations and other things at least 3 days a week. I keep a short section of 2x4 in the kitchen so I can do heel drops randomly while cooking.

I did a full rupture on my Achilles 4 yrs ago, clean snap. I did not have issues before and did a decent amount of trail running and hiking, happened playing pick up basketball. About the worst thing you can do for your legs. I agree on seeing a PT and getting a program. Also check out knees over toes guy. I try to do heel drops, Patrick steps, tib raises, calf raise variations and other things at least 3 days a week. I keep a short section of 2x4 in the kitchen so I can do heel drops randomly while cooking.

Not that I’m old, at all, but I think the baby has put enough stress and exhaustion on my body that I’m kinda officially at the age where I can’t just jump into intense physical activities anymore if I’m not in proper physical conditioning. I need to dip the toes in and move up to be more careful with it. I suspect that’s why my Achilles is having problems.

Going from zero with newborn, to elk and mule deer hunting, to packing out a buck, then tromping through the hills of wyoming in December caused my body to go “whoa buddy hold TF up”

Not that I’m old, at all, but I think the baby has put enough stress and exhaustion on my body that I’m kinda officially at the age where I can’t just jump into intense physical activities anymore if I’m not in proper physical conditioning. I need to dip the toes in and move up to be more careful with it. I suspect that’s why my Achilles is having problems.

Going from zero with newborn, to elk and mule deer hunting, to packing out a buck, then tromping through the hills of wyoming in December caused my body to go “whoa buddy hold TF up”

Most Achilles ruptures happen between 30-40 to men that are playing basketball or soccer. I was 30. Between work and other activities was not keeping up on conditioning even though I felt fine physically. Was beating up on the guys 5+ yrs younger so it was fun 😂. I do a lot of slower resistance type movements now. Tempted to play basketball again because I feel pretty good, but I do have a bit of PTSD like feelings based on how it happened. I think my wife is happy it slowed me down slightly.

Regimen: regular stretching and simple muscle tone exercises, increased steep slope weekly hiking, run/jog several times a week.

Goals: lose 10 lbs, run (if you could call it that) the John Colter Race at Headwaters Park again in September at age 78.
Run traditional 5ks: Great Falls Icebreaker, Bozeman Sweet Pea Run, Gateway Gallop. Tentatively, run Longest Dam Race, Ft Peck. (The goal is to finish upright; that's a win!)

(Of course, traditional goal of hauling out another elk.)

Hiking the park.
Throwing big shit.
Snow shoes on the reg.
A/t skis on the reg.
Skinning up the resort on the reg.
Lapping super bee.
All day.
Rabbit hunting.
Swimming.

Coming back to Illinois and deteriorating for 9 months like an astronaut in space.

swimming? summit county in feb at the local rec? do you mean soaking the lobster pot after lapping super bee?

Hiking the park.
Throwing big shit.
Snow shoes on the reg.
A/t skis on the reg.
Lapping super bee.
All day.
Rabbit hunting.
Swimming.

Coming back to Illinois and deteriorating for 9 months like an astronaut in space.
Not becoming the liquor.

swimming? summit county in feb at the local rec? do you mean soaking the lobster pot after lapping super bee?
I feel like it’s a good stretch and it’s one of the only ways I work upper body.
Maybe I’ll work up the courage to get on one of the weight benches in front of everyone this year.

10 pounds. That's it. By September elk archery season.

Roadmap:
1. 1 pound per month over January, February, March and April.
2. 2 pounds per month in May, June, July, and August.

That totals 12 pounds so I have a cushion built in.

Everybody that has posted on this thread should give an update on the 1st of every month. Those that are on schedule should be congratulated. Those behind scheduled should be shamed. No better motivation like an anonymous stranger on the internet fat shaming me!

Hiking the park.
Throwing big shit.
Snow shoes on the reg.
A/t skis on the reg.
Lapping super bee.
All day.
Rabbit hunting.
Swimming.

I'd recommend throwing out the snowshoes and going back to Illinois, both of those are just miserable...

Everybody that has posted on this thread should give an update on the 1st of every month. Those that are on schedule should be congratulated. Those behind scheduled should be shamed. No better motivation like an anonymous stranger on the internet fat shaming me!
+1 goals without any accountability tend to get ignored.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back