Hunt onx review?

Revharvey9576

Just wondering if anyone had tried the phone app versus the SD card in a gps?

I'm leaning towards the gps...probably more reliable but don't want to waste money if the Phone app works just as well

Phone app is cool until you don't have any phone service.

.....which is most places here in NM where I am. Then it just roams and eats batteries fast.
I have to keep the pc part of my DUMBPHONE off,then my cell phone works pretty good.
It just needs 1 source,not 3 that don't exist here.
I just use my Garmin and leave the phone in the truck.
Funny,my GPS's pick up 12 sources most days. Wonder if it's the NM aliens............................?

Last edited:
You do NOT NEED CELL SERVICE for onX app/maps to work on a gps enabled phone.

You download the maps you will be using, when you have wifi or cell. Those maps are then resident on your phone and the app will use those maps, with your gps position on top. If you have an older Iphone, you need to upgrade to ios 8.3+ for the gps to work when in airplane mode.

Last edited:
Rev, the difference I saw when I used the phone version was the map itself. The GPS map is created by onX and had all the old closed roads. The phone app used market available basemaps and the ones I looked had were lacking a bunch of those old roads. Depending where you hunt, it may or may not be an issue. If you could get the sd card map as an overlay on the phone app I think you would have the best of both worlds.

I guess it depends on your needs. I'd need to cache multiple states. 2 states will take up 17.3 GB and take 12 hours and 53 minutes to download. If I waited to cache them or kept having to delete and re-cache different areas then I'd either forget to do it or remember to do it when I didn't have service. GPS chip is much easier for my needs.

Also, I've never gotten my phone GPS to work very well without cell service. Maybe I need one of those iPhone for Dummies books. And the battery dies very quickly. Can't use airplane mode - can't risk missing important phone calls.

Last edited:
I knew it was someone....Thanks Bob.
I'm so tech stupid I don't even really want to know what an app is. Had to get a signal booster for my place recently just to use my cell and wifi with service getting worse. Was ready to reactivate my flip phone. I need a smarty around to show me how not to be a dummy..........I should ask a 5 yr old when I'm in Quemado with service.

I still carry a map and compass too.

Last edited:
I also use the Garmin as it's best for how/where I hunt. I don't see using a phone any time soon. My point was, they work without cell service although that service helps with lock time.
I've gone full circle from geeked up with multiple overlays and sat imagery in the Montana and now back to just the sd card. It does everything I need for my hunts, easily, and basecamp on the pc is basically a full size version.

Give them a call on Monday. I'm sure they get the question every week. You can explain your hunting style and areas to them and get their take.

Ya, they were pretty helpful with me a few years ago when I called them. Spent almost 2 hours on the phone trying to get some download to work.

If you are thinking about it don't think too hard. Get a membership to RMEF and you get a free subscription to the app as well.

The phone didn't work as well for me even with the maps cached, etc. when there's no cell service, which is a good percentage of my time in the field. It liked to lock up on me so i'm at the point where i'll just use the chip and the old reliable GPS

I had great luck with the phone app last year. As mentioned the RMEF onx map deal was way better than buying a new gps and a chip. We had essentially no service the whole time in our area and it worked quite well. I don't see it as any different than when we kept a separate point and shoot digital camera and car GPS that is now replaced with one smart phone. Getting a portable USB charger to keep your phone topped off in the field is a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back