Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunt logistics are no fun

Great to have a good deer, elk, and antelope tag. Being 1700 miles away, a 1000 miles and weeks apart is quite the quandary.

Flights to do them look amazing right now. 108 bucks round trip to Denver with no layover!

Except renting a 4wd vehicle and lodging absolutely kill that idea. 1236 for the car for 10 days and lodging up near 120 a night make that over 2500 per stop on the trip.

We have the perfect camper built for this but pulling it at 7 miles per gallon adds up quick.

Tenting it saves money but not enough to cover the cost of the tent. Also, tent life sucks.

This is only 3 tags, I can only imagine what @Big Fin white board looks like, and the amount of money spent on dry erase markers.

So stay where you are. Problem solved.

Logistics is a lot of work for sure. I spent many hours getting a plan together and it has worked out for me. My son and I have two WY tags in the same area and same season (gen elk and buck pronghorn). Got great flights to Jackson Hole and have hired a TURO truck that will get us into our hunting spots but we can also sleep in it. Have booked a few nights in a motel to have a break from camping.

You're right though, the cost has increased significantly over the last few years.

Look at truro for vehicle rentals. I’ve seen a lot of flex bows tents for sale on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

Tenting it saves money but not enough to cover the cost of the tent. Also, tent life sucks.

i'm struggling here. what kind of tents are you looking at and what kind of math is suggesting this?

you don't need to spend 1.2k on a tent.

also, you don't have a tent?

just make the rental a minivan and sleep in the back. it's been discussed ad nauseum on here how 4wd is not necessary for success.

where there is a will, there is a way. make it so.

Great to have a good deer, elk, and antelope tag. Being 1700 miles away, a 1000 miles and weeks apart is quite the quandary.

Flights to do them look amazing right now. 108 bucks round trip to Denver with no layover!

Except renting a 4wd vehicle and lodging absolutely kill that idea. 1236 for the car for 10 days and lodging up near 120 a night make that over 2500 per stop on the trip.

We have the perfect camper built for this but pulling it at 7 miles per gallon adds up quick.

This is only 3 tags, I can only imagine what @Big Fin white board looks like, and the amount of money spent on dry erase markers.
I feel your pain. That is why HT is so great. People share soooo much info it's like you are there.
Joking aside, I get the benefit of boots on the ground, but sometimes the logistics aren't possible. Maybe get there a day early and plan nothing but scouting? I am guessing you are not looking for a specific animal, just trying to maximize the quality time of being around game.

i'm struggling here. what kind of tents are you looking at and what kind of math is suggesting this?

you don't need to spend 1.2k on a tent.

also, you don't have a tent?

just make the rental a minivan and sleep in the back. it's been discussed ad nauseum on here how 4wd is not necessary for success.

where there is a will, there is a way. make it so.
Nope, sold the tent to my niece. It sat in my basement for 4 years unused. We upgraded to a trailer and thought we didn’t have a need. I was wrong…

To replace that tent is over a grand new.

To get a canvas tent is expensive even used. My same model tent is 7-800 on FB marketplace.

I could Coleman it under 200 bucks but in Nov at 8000 feet sounds miserable.

I called Wilderness ridge and talked to Beau about renting one of his. Shipping it at 125 each way kinda killed that thought.

Maybe get there a day early and plan nothing but scouting? I am guessing you are not looking for a specific animal, just trying to maximize the quality
Plan is to get there 3 days early as there is a massive amount of country to cover. Even if I only cover the burns it will take better part of 2 days to scout.

Waited a long time for that tag and want to make the best of it.

Plan is to get there 3 days early as there is a massive amount of country to cover. Even if I only cover the burns it will take better part of 2 days to scout.

Waited a long time for that tag and want to make the best of it.
After reading the comments about the hunt. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and drag my camper out and set it up, or I would drive out and get a hotel. A warm dry place to sleep is important when I am hunting.

You can get a teepee and titanium or stainless stove for around $5-700. My 13’ canvas bell tent and big stove was around $1000; it’s very nice on solo truck camps.

Heck I have a couple of cheaper 1-2 man tents that I would let you borrow for your antelope hunt.

This is why I only do one out of state tag a year, that travel time and costs adds up.

You could rent through Turo or you can often get a discount when renting a car using a discount code from your car insurance company. Heck sometimes you don’t even have to be a member of that insurance company just use the link through their company website. Sleep in your car or tent camp. Only time I pay for a hotel is very rarely and usually when my wife is with me. Lodging in my opinion is a massive waste of money.

Rent a panel van or pickup through uhaul. $20 a day and pay by the mile. Depending on where you rent from depends on price per mile. Can be way way way cheaper. I did it in Idaho 2 years ago. Cost me $300 for a week.

You can get a teepee and titanium or stainless stove for around $5-700. My 13’ canvas bell tent and big stove was around $1000; it’s very nice on solo truck camps.

Heck I have a couple of cheaper 1-2 man tents that I would let you borrow for your antelope hunt.

This is why I only do one out of state tag a year, that travel time and costs adds up.
Appreciate the offer but with my hunting partner splitting costs, we are hoteling it for the antelope.

I am just internally fighting over the plan on the elk if I keep it. I may be able to try and find a cross county load so I can take the Semi. Looked on the load boards tonight and there are some freight into SLC that could cover fuel cost.

I think AZ will flesh itself out with having to use a tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back