Huh?

Runnin_Chupacabra

I'm looking at getting some hearing protection at some point this duck season. I've never had or used any but thought it'd be a wise move. Any recommendations? Budget would ideally be below $150, those nice expensive ones look great but just not realistic at the moment.

These work great. I use them for shooting, playing music, riding the harley. And they are cheap and easy to store away.

My girlfriend got me a set of Howard Leight Impact earmuffs. It took some getting used to, but they've been great to use. They provide enough protection to often be used on their own. If you need extra sound proofing (what I would do if I had a brake on a rifle) you can wear earplugs, crank up the audio volume, and still be able to hear normal conversations or even wildlife while the sounds from guns sound like soft pops.

I'd like to get a better noise cancelling pair at some point for the last 2 years I've just been using regular foam ear plugs. It obviously muffles all sounds, but I don't feel like it hurt my hunting. Can still hear ducks quacking, geese honking and wind under wings as they roar past. I guess my point is better to go cheap at first than nothing at all. Hearing loss sucks.

@Runnin_Chupacabra I purchased some some Decibullz earlier this fall. Figured I'd give them a try with them not being too expensive. I ended up really liking them! Around $75 so they won't break the bank. I spend 3 days a earlier this fall duck hunting in groups usually 5 other people, so plenty of gun fire. I never once had my ears rung or noticed they were in. I was pretty impressed. Their percussive cap filters out the peak sounds while allowing you to still hear normal conversations. Normal conversation maybe 65-75% of what you typically can hear, but still far better than with foam plugs which I had been doing the last few years. I would highly recommend these. Also, the custom molding helps them stay in your ear easier. Mine never fell out even taking on and off stocking caps while hunting.

I’ll second the walkers razor muffs. My hearing is terrible for a young man but I can I use them when duck hunting and hear the conversation all the way to the other end of the blind, while the shotgun blasts are just soft thuds.

@Runnin_Chupacabra I purchased some some Decibullz earlier this fall. Figured I'd give them a try with them not being too expensive. I ended up really liking them! Around $75 so they won't break the bank. I spend 3 days a earlier this fall duck hunting in groups usually 5 other people, so plenty of gun fire. I never once had my ears rung or noticed they were in. I was pretty impressed. Their percussive cap filters out the peak sounds while allowing you to still hear normal conversations. Normal conversation maybe 65-75% of what you typically can hear, but still far better than with foam plugs which I had been doing the last few years. I would highly recommend these. Also, the custom molding helps them stay in your ear easier. Mine never fell out even taking on and off stocking caps while hunting.
I have these too. They do cause me some irritation in my ear after a while (hour+), but not as bad as muffs. Mine don't stay in as tight as I would like, but are still effective.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back