Hows the elk hunting near Libby MT

HuntMT16

Im in the process of applying for a job in the Libby MT area. I've checked FWP harvest reports, regulations and elk management plans, checked Montana cadastral (looking at how much public land there is) and now I am hoping for some boots on the ground input. I'm NOT looking for honey holes or anything like that. Im just trying to figure out what to expect for an experience hunter (from the Bozeman MT area) can expect when hunting on foot in the area. I know the Bob is near by and has alot of elk, but Ive kinda understood that it's best to have horses for the Bob. Maybe if most of the hunting is hunting thick timber or if there are good areas of more open rolling hills, how much pressure the elk get, etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It's thick and there aren't many elk. You might have a tough time getting advice on places to look because anywhere that holds elk with any consistency is pretty much a honey hole.

I spent a week hunting moose just a few miles South of Libby last fall. Put lots of miles on foot in some of the roadless country and saw very little elk sign fresh or old and no elk. Very very few elk where I was at. Did see a fair amount deer. Mostly whitetails and a handful of mule deer.

You are going to be let down going from Bozeman to Libby, regarding Elk that is. Im south of Libby quite a ways, and I have almost given up hunting to my north. Much more productive areas to hunt Elk IMO.

Correct assessments. But, there are still great bulls occasionally coming from the Cabinets; visit the local taxidermists. There is a great bull (bow kill) at the RMEF headquarters that came out of Dry Creek (south of Bull Lake) a couple decades ago. There are consistent pockets of elk in the area but still no big numbers. But now if you are interested in bear hunting the area ..........

I wouldn't call the Bob Marshall nearby to Libby. It's probably not much harder to reach The Bob from Bozeman. I've not hunted elk in that region, but it is very thick country.

I’d drive about 1/2 way to Kalispell and start looking there.

You won’t find elk numbers near like there are around Bozeman, but if you hunt every weekend and don’t pass on 5 points, you’ll get enough action to keep it interesting.

Also, I’m not sure where you heard the Bob has lots of elk, but I’d suggest you forget that idea real quick unless you’re thinking of going after the Sun River herd. Elk are pretty sparse elsewhere and the country is not much fun to hunt unless you like bayonet-range shots, steep hillsides, and devils club.

I live south of Libby in Noxon, and the elk hunting has declined greatly over the past 10 or 15 years from what I have been told. there are elk, but they are scattered, and either in the private hay fields along the river, or in the thickest timber you can imagine.

I think the unit I hunt has about a 5 percent success rate for elk. That tells you how tough the elk hunting is in Lincoln County. It is just a very different game from elk hunting in places with more open country, more grass. The elk are there, but you are going to have to work harder for them. That said, I would rank the whitetail hunting as very good and there is opportunity for mule deer a well.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back