Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How's 6.5 PRC

I don't have a 6.5 PRC, but I have a Howa Hogue 1500 in 30-06 and with a good handload it is an amazingly accurate rifle. It even shot Federal Fusions in a cloverleaf at 100 yards and less than a 1.5 inch group at 200. All in all I'm very happy with the rifle. If you're concerned about the accuracy of the 6.5 PRC, the Army is starting to use them as an urban sniper rifle on an AR platform for shorter distances.
Thanks for the info.
I am aware of the military adoption of this cartridge. I am fully confident in the 6.5 PRC as an extremely versatile cartridge that has relatively low recoil, and can push bullets flat and far.
I have never owned a Howa rifle and having not a lot of experience shooting one either, am concerned about getting a lemon that won't give anything better than 3" groups at the hundred.
I believe most makers put out a decent product these days. But the last time I bought a new rifle for my son, it was a Mossberg Patriot in 7mm mag. and it was a good day to get 3" groups out of that rifle for what ever reason.
I have had mixed reviews from a Howa 10 years ago or so.
But I haven't talked to any newer owners.

To Millsworks,
I’ve owned three Howas and still have two. All of mine shot great and I’m sure the new ones will too. My preference is the SS ones. I’ve no exp with the 6.5 PRC. I’d say go for it.

To Millsworks,
I’ve owned three Howas and still have two. All of mine shot great and I’m sure the new ones will too. My preference is the SS ones. I’ve no exp with the 6.5 PRC. I’d say go for it.
Ditto except for the SS preference

Twas sarcasm. mtmuley

That said, “inherently accurate” is used all the time. Is there such thing as inherently inaccurate? Is there a cartridge that’s just pretty hard to get to shoot well?

I’ve just never heard the inverse wondering if anyone has? I feel like I’ve heard folks say that about the 9mm?

I have to say that one of the 6.5 secrets (CD and PRC) is the recoil. Or the lag of it. I doubt that you in a real hunting scenario feel or see any difference between a 6.5 CD or a PRC.
i also doubt that there is any rifle in the range $500+ is not accurate enough for grouping out too 400yards and more.

If you want join PRC movement, just do it. There is nothing wrong about it, and it’s a joy to shoot. Switching to it from 6.5CD if you own a good rifle isn’t worth it (for hunting, and amateur sport shooting).

I don't have a 6.5 PRC, but I have a Howa Hogue 1500 in 30-06 and with a good handload it is an amazingly accurate rifle. It even shot Federal Fusions in a cloverleaf at 100 yards and less than a 1.5 inch group at 200. All in all I'm very happy with the rifle. If you're concerned about the accuracy of the 6.5 PRC, the Army is starting to use them as an urban sniper rifle on an AR platform for shorter distances.
Where did you see the Army starting to use 6.5 PRC? SOCOM has been using the 6.5 creed for a while, but I was not aware of anyone even testing the 6.5 PRC. I do know that 300 PRC has been in testing for quite a while and I believe they are now field testing it with the new weapon system (Barrett MRAD). I feel like it would not be the smartest idea for them to use the 6.5 PRC in a gas system due to short barrel life. We currently use 7.62 in the gas system and it has a barrel life that is probably quadruple the PRC. Sorry for the total derailment of the topic... For the record I think I will be adding a 6.5 PRC to the collection next year for mid-size game (antelope, deer, etc.).

Where did you see the Army starting to use 6.5 PRC? SOCOM has been using the 6.5 creed for a while, but I was not aware of anyone even testing the 6.5 PRC. I do know that 300 PRC has been in testing for quite a while and I believe they are now field testing it with the new weapon system (Barrett MRAD). I feel like it would not be the smartest idea for them to use the 6.5 PRC in a gas system due to short barrel life. We currently use 7.62 in the gas system and it has a barrel life that is probably quadruple the PRC. Sorry for the total derailment of the topic... For the record I think I will be adding a 6.5 PRC to the collection next year for mid-size game (antelope, deer, etc.).
Guns and Ammo TV show

Thanks for the reply on the Howa.
I will be ordering one as soon as the financial situation allows.
Definitely the Howa hogue in green.
I just hope I like that thin barrel contour. But I'm sure it will at least make for a lighter rifle.
And if it doesn't shoot to suit me, the action will make a great platform for a custom profile barrel.

It would be nice to know where or who to ask about ordering directly from Howa and shipping to my local gun shop.
I would sure like to be able to order one with a heavier barrel contour than the Sporter type I have been seeing.

Ordered a Howa in January.
Still waiting........
Seems a awfully long wait for a factory rifle.
But it will get here eventually, I hope.

That said, “inherently accurate” is used all the time. Is there such thing as inherently inaccurate? Is there a cartridge that’s just pretty hard to get to shoot well?

I’ve just never heard the inverse wondering if anyone has? I feel like I’ve heard folks say that about the 9mm?

Interesting question. The more overbore they get the more finicky they seem to be.

There is something about modest cases like 6 PPC or BR or 6.5x47 that makes it seem like they’ll shoot anything you load through the same hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back