PEAX Equipment

How's 6.5 PRC

Millsworks

I am looking at purchasing a howa hogue in 6.5 PRC.

Anyone but one of these new offerings? I would like to know how accurate these rifles tend to be.

I really like the how's action. But I have never personally shot a howa, and have heard mixed reviews about the barrels.

Please, if you could, I really appreciate it if someone who has purchased one of the new models could give their opinions.
From what I understand the new models have a barrel that uses a different manufacturing process than most older models.
Or so I have been told at the local gun shop.

I've not yet owned a Howa, but I've handled a Weatherby Vanguard or two. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The 6.5 PRC is inherently accurate and has become my go-to cartridge for deer and antelope.

I have been lucky enough to shoot a couple rifles chambered in 6.5 PRC.
Both were built rifles. A 700 action and a Savage. Both shot reloads using Reloader 26 powder and both pushed 129-142gr. bullets at in between 2900-3100fps into nice neat little clover leafs at 200 yrds.
But custom accuracy doesn't usually come off the shelf.
I can't seem to find much information as too the accuracy of the Howa being overly better than average. One inch groups at the hundred is really the minimum goal.
But I hopefully can get better than that with some tweaking and a good bedding job, maybe?
I know it's usually a gamble with factory rifle accuracy. But I have many that were able to be made great shooters, after some effort.

I don’t have experience with new Howa’s, BUT I would be BLOWN AWAY if their barrels weren’t hammer forged. Hammer forging is the cheapest way to manufacture barrels on a massive scale. Some companies do an excellent job, others not so much. If the company is larger in size than Nosler/Cooper/Kimber, the barrel is almost certainly hammer forged.

I doubt that Howa has changed much about their barrels, but I could easily be wrong.

There are no "inherently accurate" cartridges.
There are more efficient cartridges.
But accuracy is in the gun & the shooter.

I agree, however, there are also cartridges whose SAAMI and/or CIP specs are more likely to be accurate using factory ammo.

I believe the older rifles were button rifled.
But I'm not sure as I haven't a lot of experience with Howa.
I believe the cold hammer forged barrels are usually reasonably accurate when manufactured properly. Many companies that produce a relatively high end rifle ,use cold hammer forged process.

I own a Howa in 6.5 ceedmoor with hogue stock. Generally very accurate. If I do my part it will shoot half inch groups with certain loads and most loads under an inch easy.

Nothing wrong with a button rifled barrel.
Factory Savage benchrest guns are still button rifled. Unless going custom action & barrel, and even then you'd be hard pressed to beat one.
You'd be surprised i think of the number of manufacturers that still use button rifling.

I believe the older rifles were button rifled.
But I'm not sure as I haven't a lot of experience with Howa.
I believe the cold hammer forged barrels are usually reasonably accurate when manufactured properly. Many companies that produce a relatively high end rifle ,use cold hammer forged process.

How old? Almost every large company uses hammer forged barrels. I’d be surprised to find out that Howa was using button rifling more recently than fifty years ago.

Button rifling is generally better than forging, but large manufacturers only do it on a few expensive models. Smaller companies buy their barrels from other companies, and I believe that Cooper, Nosler, and Kimber all barrels that are button rifled.

I believe Bergara is also using button rifling on all their barrels.

They are on my list for a rilfe on 6.5 PRC.

My son bought a Howa 300 win mag GameKing 2 yrs ago and we got it to shoot pretty good. I don't recall the group size, but it was better than 1" at 100 and we could ping the 6" dong at 300 yds, so all in all he's happy with it.

I don't have a 6.5 PRC, but I have a Howa Hogue 1500 in 30-06 and with a good handload it is an amazingly accurate rifle. It even shot Federal Fusions in a cloverleaf at 100 yards and less than a 1.5 inch group at 200. All in all I'm very happy with the rifle. If you're concerned about the accuracy of the 6.5 PRC, the Army is starting to use them as an urban sniper rifle on an AR platform for shorter distances.

I own one of the first "inherently" accurate cartridges. The .222 Remington. mtmuley
Nope, no more accurate a cartridge than 270 Win, 30-06, 7mm-08AI, 45ACP, 45-70, 50BMG.
I've thrown them all accross the room, and found no difference in accuracy.

Back