Howdy from Helena MT

Registered on Hunttalk awhile back but am looking to be a bit more active as Rokslide is getting a little tinfoil hat. Grew up in Missoula, spend 7 years in bush Alaska in my 20's have been living in Helena since 2009. I've hunted since I was 12 years old and have in the last few years been bitten by the elk, archery and backpack hunting bug. Cheers guys and gals, hope to share and learn something from you all.

Regards,
John

Welcome,
I was once in your area.
Airlocksniffer...must be a homebrewer?
I had vision of of something breaking bad...like wind....I'm so far behind the times.
Sorry, carry on.

No wizenhiemers here..............

Good to meet a fellow hunter and homebrewer.
Funny, I bought my first homebrew kit back in '07 from Arctic Brewing Supply in Anchorage when we were out in Unalakleet. What's on tap? Just sparkling water for me now as I'm on the wagon while I get over the holidays. Just finished a Willie's moonshine barrel-aged doppelbock that clocked in around 11%. Yeah, one at a time was advised.

Last edited:
Hello. My in-laws grew up in Helena then after he got back from a live-fire vacation with U.S. Army in Korea in the early 1950s, they moved to Seattle then down to L.A. though there is still family around Helena. I first visited Montana in the summer of 1996 and remarked to my FIL on the drive from Whitefish to Helena that Montana was God's Country with all the streams, timber and blue skies. He smiled, looked out the passenger window a moment and said, "Why don't you head back here in February for a week then call me down in L.A. to discuss." He then spent the rest of the drive talking about some of the severe cold weather memories of his youth including darting in and out of stores to warm up during walks to school when temps were below zero, car tires that froze with a flat edge so was like a square wheel as drove waiting for the rubber to warm up from friction, the gas in the pipelines turning to gel, trying to warm up a vehicle engine with sticks lit under the oil pan, etc. He then added he had once been snowed on during a July 4th event. The thing I found odd about Helena was the lack of stop signs at four way intersections up in the hillside neighborhoods. What is up with that?

Funny, I bought my first homebrew kit back in '07 from Arctic Brewing Supply in Anchorage when we were out in Unalakleet. What's on tap? Just sparkling water for me now as I'm on the wagon while I get over the holidays. Just finished a Willie's moonshine barrel-aged doppelbock that clocked in around 11%. Yeah, one at a time was advised.

ABS got me started on '08. Black lager, pale ale and cider on top. Brewing a Russian imperial stout tomorrow.

Hello. My in-laws grew up in Helena then after he got back from a live-fire vacation with U.S. Army in Korea in the early 1950s, they moved to Seattle then down to L.A. though there is still family around Helena. I first visited Montana in the summer of 1996 and remarked to my FIL on the drive from Whitefish to Helena that Montana was God's Country with all the streams, timber and blue skies. He smiled, looked out the passenger window a moment and said, "Why don't you head back here in February for a week then call me down in L.A. to discuss." He then spent the rest of the drive talking about some of the severe cold weather memories of his youth including darting in and out of stores to warm up during walks to school when temps were below zero, car tires that froze with a flat edge so was like a square wheel as drove waiting for the rubber to warm up from friction, the gas in the pipelines turning to gel, trying to warm up a vehicle engine with sticks lit under the oil pan, etc. He then added he had once been snowed on during a July 4th event. The thing I found odd about Helena was the lack of stop signs at four way intersections up in the hillside neighborhoods. What is up with that?
Great place to live. I like Helena because the traffic is good (compared to Missoula) and we have an awesome trail system for running, mountain biking etc. I live about a block from the trails so I can head out very easily. We are also in the middle of great hunting. I can head up to the Elkhorns and be hunting within 20 minutes of my house. Also not too far from the Bob, the Big and Little Belts, Gallatin, etc. As for winters, yeah it can get cold for sure but growing up in MT I'm used to it. Not sure regarding the stop signs. I live above the Capital and intersections are adequately signed.

The thing I found odd about Helena was the lack of stop signs at four way intersections up in the hillside neighborhoods. What is up with that?

We'd rather bond for a crappy dog park, spend months talking about a statue dedicated by the Daughters of the Confederacy and think of new & exciting ways to encourage more hipster BS than focus on silly things like street signs, plowing or running an efficient gov't.

I love the town, but the infrastructure is ridiculous. We still get municipal water from a 100 year old wooden flume.

We'd rather bond for a crappy dog park, spend months talking about a statue dedicated by the Daughters of the Confederacy and think of new & exciting ways to encourage more hipster BS than focus on silly things like street signs, plowing or running an efficient gov't.

I love the town, but the infrastructure is ridiculous. We still get municipal water from a 100 year old wooden flume.

Yeah that whole daughters of the confederate thing was liberal Katherine HH proving she is sensitive to this countries needs at the time according to what the media told Her she should think. You would be hard pressed to find a better place in Montana than Helena if you take in all the pros and cons, I hope to make it back one day.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back