Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hello from the capital of MT.

JFoster

I'm turning 50 this year and looking forward to many more years of packing my horses and mules into the backcountry of MT, WY and ID to chase elk, deer, bear, cougar, wolves and adventure. I started packing 30 years ago for an outfitter in the Bob Marshall Wilderness and have packed for my own enjoyment and friends ever since.
Looking forward to the interactions on HT.
Cheers,
John F.

Welcome! Please share some of your packing wisdom with us in the future. A lot of us would like to learn more about packing.
Thanks, I'll do my best. There's always more to learn even when you've been doing it a long time:)
Two things that stand out.... Buy the best animals you can afford (looks don't matter in the mtns. buy the best minds and most willing). Secondly, the more time you spend handling your stock, the better they will be. You can't just expect them to perform once or twice a year. Good luck!

Welcome. Can't wait to hear some awesome stories. I suggest a thread entitled "tales from the bob" or something along those lines. If you haven't noticed, we're a little bored at the moment. 😂 Thanks in advance

Thanks, I'll do my best. There's always more to learn even when you've been doing it a long time:)
Two things that stand out.... Buy the best animals you can afford (looks don't matter in the mtns. buy the best minds and most willing). Secondly, the more time you spend handling your stock, the better they will be. You can't just expect them to perform once or twice a year. Good luck!
Thanks. I’m looking for a couple of horses this spring. I’ve had horses before but haven’t done much packing. I’ve got a lot to learn.

Thanks. I’m looking for a couple of horses this spring. I’ve had horses before but haven’t done much packing. I’ve got a lot to learn.
Don't overlook getting a couple of good mules instead of horses. Especially if your going to use them primarily in the backcountry. What part of MT are you in?

Back