HOWA questions here

Howa 1500 .270 rifle.
Need a youth/bantam/woman’s stock for my weight sensitive 5’0” wife.
Suggestions please.

Welp, I bit the bullet and picked up a new Howa 1500 in 7mm HT the other day. Got a good deal at Sportsmans Warehouse. I have a Bell and Carlson medalist stock that I may swap out for the Hogue, although I like the Hogue more than I had expected. Haven't decided on a scope yet. I have a Leupold Rifleman 4-12 that I'll probably throw on for the time being. I'll upgrade that at some point though. This will be my mule deer and antelope rifle primarily. I'm pretty sold on the Barnes ammo and the 120 grain TTSX is looking good. I'll probably pick up a box of Nosler Etip 140 grain and Federal Trophy Copper 140 grain to see if they shoot better than the Barnes. Anyone have experience with 120 grain vs 140 grain? I'll probably stick with all copper ammo as I've had great success in the past. Anyway, I'm pumped for the new rifle and can't wait to get out and shoot!!

Anyone shooting a mini-action in 6.5 Grendel? What kind of real world accuracy are you getting. I’m thinking about buying one

Hope you can give me some good info.
I am Looking to get a Howa 1500 .308

1. Is there any difference in terms of consistency/possibly accuracy between the Hogue and H-S precision stock? / Or what is the difference if any between the two? (performance wise)

2. Other than weight difference, would there be any real world or noticeable performance difference in accuracy or consistency and range between a HS precision Standard barrel 22#2 , HS precision Semi heavy 26#4 and Hogue Heavy 20#6 contour barrel.

I re-stocked my Howa 1500 25-06 (came as a vanguard 2) with new H-S Precision stock --> in my opinion way better feel and stiffer than the Hogue that came with it, but more a matter of preference than in accuracy. It does make for a heavy combo though.

Does anyone know what the metal is finished with on the Howa HS Precision rifles? All I can find is that it is matte black. Is it Cerakote?

I re-stocked my Howa 1500 25-06 (came as a vanguard 2) with new H-S Precision stock --> in my opinion way better feel and stiffer than the Hogue that came with it, but more a matter of preference than in accuracy. It does make for a heavy combo though.

I did the same with mine, it shot great before but now it shoots even a little better...

It appears the 7mm-08 is no longer an option.

I'm guessing that's the creedmoor chamberings taking over the niche. It must be a hard market to get a footing in, with all the other beloved rifle brands out there. Between this and the loss of the Alpine Mountain, it seems like the chances of me ever getting a Howa are going down, even though I'm sure they still make a great quality rifle.

I just acquired an older Howa 1500 chambered in 300 win mag. I'm thinking of re-barreling it but I'd like to do a non-magnum cartridge. Does anyone know if the bolt face can be changed or if replacement bolts are available?

It appears the 7mm-08 is no longer an option.

I noticed that too but it appears that Weatherby is still offering the caliber in some rifles and ironically enough Bergara added 7mm-08 as an option in most of the B14 line and some Premier Series models.

I handled a couple of Bergaras yesterday at Bud’s Gunshop and I gotta say that the B14 Hunter and the Ridge models are pretty nice for an allweather rifle. The hunter felt like it was maybe a pound lighter or so (give or take) but thebRidge has a threaded barrel. So I’m looking at these and Tikkas as an alternative since I try to stick to 7mm cartridges. I really like Howa’s from handling them in person but I don’t plan on moving to a different caliber that largely performs the same way.

7-08 is available in the HS precision model and the Hogue model.

Dan

Dan are you sure you looked at the 2019 catalog? I just checked and I don't see any 7mm-08's. I gotta say I'm a long time Howa fan and I'm pretty disappointed to see this.

Can anyone tell me actual weights for Howa long and short actions? The weights on the Howa catalog and website are inconsistent. I'm considering putting together a rifle with a Howa action and I'd like to know how much weight I could save going with a short action (standard, not light barrel).

Howa 1500 .270 rifle.
Need a youth/bantam/woman’s stock for my weight sensitive 5’0” wife.
Suggestions please.
Following. Im looking to cut weight on the exact same rifle for the same reason...

On a further note have you found a factory load that the rifle likes yet? The 150 grain Core-Lockts I run during bear/deer season work well for the inside 200 yard shots that I get in Arkansas (our biggest black bear last year went 495# gutted and weighted on an actual scale) but Im spending time out West this coming year and need a good 130 or 140 grain load that shoots well for deer sized critters at longer ranges.
The 2-3 MOA I am currently getting are fine for the short range work but I need practice at the 250-400 yard range and have no experience with what load to try?
The one recommendation I heard so far is to grab whatever 139 grain TSS loads I can find when they are in stock?
at nearly $36 a box I am not inclined to purchase a case of them on one recommendation. lol.

Thanks,
Pilsner

I sure would like to see a Howa chambered in 6.5 PRC.
Hopefully with a drop hinged mag, 24" barrel and a 1-7or8 twist.
This is the only cartridge I sent to have an interest in adding to my tool box and I would like a Howa.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back