Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howa Mini Action

EastTNHunter

I recently traded into a rifle that I had been wanting for some time. I got a Howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel. I’ll try to post up some pics later, but it’s in excellent condition, with a green synthetic stock and a Luepold Mark AR 4-12 scope on it. Shoots absolutely lights out with very minimal load development using 85gr Sierra varminters and RL7. I could lean on it harder, but it is already easily under 1” at 100yd, so I’ll leave well enough alone. I stippled the grip and forearm a little better than the factory job, and I’m really impressed. It’ll be great for plinking, coyotes, and deer, all in a light and handy package with hardly any recoil

Last edited:
I have often thought that rifle would be a great deer gun for kids. I thought about getting one for my kids, but couldn't find one used.

I have one in 204 , for a knock about rifle they are pretty hard to beat on cost and accuracy wise. I love mine except the mag release which you can knock easily so have shaved it down a lot. This has pretty much fixed the problem

If they made them in LH, I'd have at least one at the house. One of those in 6.5 G or 6 ARC would be a great rifle to start kids with.

I promised pictures, so here you go. More scope on a little light rifle than I would have bought, but it came with it and isn’t overly heavy. It has a CDS dial already, so why switch?

I’m going to shave down the mag release at some point, but will probably try to take it off to so so and haven’t had time

Attachments

• F86264CF-9F52-4979-A91E-5426E7512EA0.jpeg
    F86264CF-9F52-4979-A91E-5426E7512EA0.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 17
  • A43B2A22-C3F0-4563-8C69-8C2B25BC693D.jpeg
    A43B2A22-C3F0-4563-8C69-8C2B25BC693D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
DANG!
I'm on like 4 backorders for that exact setup!!!
My little Granddaughter is looking for one for deer this year.
Want to sell or trade it!!!

Have one that originally was a 223. Cut barrel back to 16” and ackleyed it. Handy as hell
74BA2D2E-EE48-45F2-9F9F-BCEDA02BAC87.jpeg

DANG!
I'm on like 4 backorders for that exact setup!!!
My little Granddaughter is looking for one for deer this year.
Want to sell or trade it!!!
I think I’m going to hold onto this one. Been wanting one for a while, and happened to have the right thing to trade at the right time. I’m sure that I’ll hunt some with it, but more than likely it will find its way into the hands of at least one or two youngsters this coming deer season, as well.

I thought about a .223 as well, and likely would have traded for one of those if it had availed itself. The AI option would be super cool for that, too. If I find a223 in the future I may pick it up and have it reamed out. They were for sale pretty cheap somewhere not too long ago

I have one in 223 that I had Ackleyized, trimmed the mag release and modified the mag to where it was just about flush, and trimmed a coil from the trigger spring. Still held 5 rounds of 223, but more like 4 of the Ackleys. It is a fun round to work up loads for, 5/8" groups with 62TTSX at 3250. Hopefully it will slay a Cali hog in a month and then if we are lucky in the draw, a couple Wyoming antelope.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back