3) Try a different die set
4) If all these fail I'd look for a different bullet/powder combo

Eastcoaster

I would, in this order:

1) Remove the action, look for binding points, reinstall and torque correctly
2) Try a different scope to see if it is part of the equation
3) Try a different die set
4) If all these fail I'd look for a different bullet/powder combo
Yeah, I pulled and retorqued the action, the scope doesn’t seem to be the issue because the factory loads are shooting the same consistent group from start to now. Haven’t tried a new die set but that’s an option. I was hoping someone on here had a Howa 300 and could give me some direction.

redwoood

Do they have some sort of bedding block on the howas?

I had a savage that wouldn't shoot one time...opened up the bedding block(accustock) where it was contacting the recoil lug and solved the problem.

Losing_Sanity

I have had some "chasing" loads myself. It can be a vary frustrating process. On my post of chasing loads, one of the HT members suggested I check the straightness of your bullets seated in the shell. They suggested using other than Hornady dies for better consistency. So I rolled various loaded shells on the table watching the point for wobble. Although this was not a problem for me, I found it a very interesting check that I had overlooked. You might look that direction...

I would link my post because there is some great suggestions from very knowledgeable folks, but I'm not sure how. If you search it you may find some other info.

mtmuley

Take brockel's advice. Hammers are probably the most forgiving bullet you will find as far as seating depth. Order the 181's, pick a powder and load to mag length. mtmuley

Eastcoaster

I think I am going to reach out to Howa tomorrow and see if they will check it out. If nothing else maybe when they verify the Sub Moa guarantee, they can tell me what factory ammo they used. I have heard their customer service is really good.

F250

Eastcoaster, I too have a .300 Win Mag that will only shoot the "cheap" Winchester Powerpoints (a 1960's Remington 700 BDL). While that stuff is not the super-cool sexy ammo available today, it shoots three rounds in one hole at 100 yards, when I do my part. I have taken elk, caribou and whitetails with those 180 gr. cheapies.

Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster, I too have a .300 Win Mag that will only shoot the "cheap" Winchester Powerpoints (a 1960's Remington 700 BDL). While that stuff is not the super-cool sexy ammo available today, it shoots three rounds in one hole at 100 yards, when I do my part. I have taken elk, caribou and whitetails with those 180 gr. cheapies.
If it shot them like that, I would buy a case and be done....I'm spoiled with my other rifles that shoot 3/4 MOA all day long.

Eastcoaster

Thank you everyone for the help. I talk to howa and they told me to purchase a specific horandy load. Went to the range with said load and it shot 2) 2" groups and stuck a case in the chamber on the last round. I called them back and they were very helpful starting the warranty process. I'll keep you updated incase anyone else ends up in this situation.

Losing_Sanity

Thank you everyone for the help. I talk to howa and they told me to purchase a specific horandy load. Went to the range with said load and it shot 2) 2" groups and stuck a case in the chamber on the last round. I called them back and they were very helpful starting the warranty process. I'll keep you updated incase anyone else ends up in this situation.
Sounds like that is the best option and your on the right track. It will be interesting to read about the outcome.

sbhooper

Send it back to them. You got a turd. My buddy got one in 6.5x55 that had a crap barrel and he sent it back to them. The second one was no better. He put a Criterion barrel on it, finally, to fix the issue. Not good advertisement for Howa. The throat was way too long on the factory barrels, for one thing.