How To Pick Up A Porcupine

I've got a really solid technique for looking at wildlife from a reasonable distance and not putting my booger hooks on them that seems to work. Large sample size and several years of encounters to support my findings that I just don't have to pick animals up, or mess with them for my enjoyment.

1647381063974.png

Used to be like a $0.50 bounty on them when I was a kid, always had a .22 in the truck when we were logging. Rarely see them anymore but still see some nipped leaders in the firs so know they’re around.

The thought of picking up a live porcupine, or dead one for that matter, has never crossed my mind. It’s like people grabbing snakes. Why?

Next video going to be about picking up elk calves by their hind legs?

Some pick them up to move them to a different place for plucking them. That way they could pluck em without killing them.
When you say pluck em, you mean like pluck all their guard hairs, or just a little? Seems like if you plucked up em all you might as well just kill em rather than leaving them hairless in the elements. This is clearly way outta my realm.

Once had a couple of clients try to catch one, that didn’t go well. Funny thing was one of them figured my GSP was pretty dumb for getting stuck twice…..

When you say pluck em, you mean like pluck all their guard hairs, or just a little? Seems like if you plucked up em all you might as well just kill em rather than leaving them hairless in the elements. This is clearly way outta my realm.
Only the yellow gaurd hair is what is sold. There is also an undercoat of shorter hair, that is left.

My GSP has had an unpleasant interaction with one of those. I decided further investigation of that creature would be unfruitful.

Back