Caribou Gear

How to mount scope farther back?

MADGRZ

What do you guys recommend to get this scope mounted farther back on this Remington 700? As you can see I'm maxed out with these Leupold rings. Unfortunately my wife can't zoom beyond 3x magnification without seeing the black ring in her field of view.

Attachments

• 20240129_204331.jpg
    20240129_204331.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 122
  • 20240129_204335.jpg
    20240129_204335.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 122
With a rail you can put the front and rear rings on either side of the turret housing and up close to it. Move the rings as far back on the rail as you can. Or as far back as the scope bell will allow. Might look odd as hell, but could help. Has she ever had a Wyoming tattoo?

What position is she shooting from? I find my rifle I need to shift my head forward to get a good eye relief above 3x when standing/sitting. But when I’m prone, that shifts my head closer to the scope and it lines up perfectly.

So, what position is she going to be in when taking shots when hunting, and how’s the eye relief in that position?

A higher quality scope with better eye relief might be the quickest way to fix it.

Your back ring is on backwards….

That in itself would allow another 1/4-1/2” from what I’m seeing.
Looks correct [not sure that there is a right or wrong way] to me, but if it would work the scope ring would likely interfere with operation of the bolt, esp. with gloves on. Not much more distance and you'd be up against the bell.

Your rings should always be as far apart as possible from the turrets. Thats what I was taught anyhow.

You could slide that scope back 1" and it wouldn't make contact with that bellhousing....

You should be able to reverse the rear mount, that should get you another centimeter from what it looks like, but a shorter stock is probably the preferred method. Sounds like time to get a new rifle!

Your front ring only has 1/4-1/2" of play, but you could gain that distance by reversing the back mount.

I have 2 rifles that I used Talley extended rings on the back, not for scope placement, but to get maximum support distance between the rings.

As others have said, stock fit is improtant. She should be able to close her eyes, shoulder the rifle, and open her eyes to a full field of view in the scope.

The stock is too long for her. Unless you're super attached to the stock (if so find a used one), put a piece of blue tape across where you plan to cut, remove screws from butt pad and cut it off with a miter saw. Install a nice recoil pad (preferably sand to fit). You'll be worlds ahead of moving the scope back farther.

I've cut off half a dozen stocks, its not hard and a fun 1hr long project. Lots of info on the web on how to do it. Its just wood, don't be scared.

I've found that longer actions (more than "short") compounded with shorter modern scopes make it hard to get the scope in the right spot depending on the shooter/scope. Also looks like the rear ring is backwards, like another suggested. If flipping the ring doesn't work, a rail with low or extra low rings would work nicely.

As far as the stock (sounds like LOP might be long) - I wouldn't chop that gorgeous piece of walnut up - there are affordable shorter/adjustable after market stocks for the 700 from cheap to costly that might suite her better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back