PEAX Equipment

How to judge an Idaho blackbear?

Wyhunter

This is my first year drawing a bear tag in Idaho. I'll be in unit 22. I've spent thousands of dollars feeding bears with my bear bait sites, but haven't laid eyes on too many. What is the best way to judge a bear in the field? What is a shooter in unit 22?

I'm not great with bears but a fall coat and its size will be top notch.

What I do know is that it'll be like 180" bucks. You won't have to judge, pull out the spotter or decide how big his ears are. When you know, YOU'LL KNOW.

Unit 22 has good genetics and feed for Idaho so there will be 20 inch bears around. That is a very good Idaho bear. I'd just find a mature boar and smoke him. With hounds when you can stand under one in a tree you can get really picky on skull size but it is tougher with spot and stalk. Good unit. Congrats!

What I do know is that it'll be like 180" bucks. You won't have to judge, pull out the spotter or decide how big his ears are. When you know, YOU'LL KNOW.

This.

Look for ears that look small on the head, an ass that looks like a angus bull, width across the top of the shoulders, and a belly that doesn't have much daylight under it.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back