How to get hunters into volunteering for conservation efforts

Hircine

As I watched a video recently about conservation and getting people and hunters alike to put in the "grunt work" of conservation like building water holes or any other aspect of ensuring our wildlife numbers are healthy and flourish so more people can enjoy hunting limited game.
Some ideas that came to mind is to set up a state program that rewards volunteers with either an extra point or possibly a draw only for people who reach a certain number of conservation volunteer hours.
What are your thoughts and ideas on how to incentivize people to go out and volunteer so our wildlife programs can prosper?

There is a part of me that thinks it might attract the wrong types of people - just putting in their hours - instead of what you get right now, which is the die-hard volunteer doing the work for only the right reasons.

From my perspective as someone who is actively asking to volunteer with certain groups is that projects are not scheduled far enough out or advertised properly. People are busy - especially those with kids over the summer - so don't announce a project 4-5 weeks out. Start telling us about summer projects in March and April so we can get them on the calendar.

I am steadfastly opposed to preference point awards as you'll have even higher volunteer turnover than we have now. If all people need to do is hit X hours... they are going to just hit X hours and bounce.

EDITED TO ADD: also while hunters benefit from conservation work and other work that benefits wildlife numbers, I think some groups could do a better job of recruiting the "hunter adjacent" groups (people who have no issue with hunting but love seeing the animals, have hunting spouses / friends / etc) so tying it to preference points also gives the image we are only doing this work to eventually shoot those animals later. I think it's a PR miss from that perspective as well.

Last edited:
From my perspective as someone who is actively asking to volunteer with certain groups is that projects are not scheduled far enough out or advertised properly. People are busy - especially those with kids over the summer - so don't announce a project 4-5 weeks out. Start telling us about summer projects in March and April so we can get them on the calendar.

This has been my biggest hurdle with volunteering here in Saskatchewan. Finding conservation volunteer opportunities is not the easiest and relatively short notice.

Another issue I've had was that I was turned away from being an official "volunteer" with a particular org as they had enough in my region...

It sounds like the organizations need to promote their cause better. I bring up hrs for points or draws because even if it is people doing things for better chances at something, I still think that's a ultimately a win for the animals.
Good insight from you guys though, I wouldn't have thought it'd be difficult to find a volunteer program, let alone be turned down by one. That's just ludicrous to turn someone down.

I'm sorry, but the biggest issue is that people don't actually prioritize conservation over anything else in their life. It ain't easy, nor convenient, which is basically the only way to get anyone to show up. People will make time if it's important to them. Otherwise it'll have to fall into the magical (mythical) "free weekend"

I'm sorry, but the biggest issue is that people don't actually prioritize conservation over anything else in their life. It ain't easy, nor convenient, which is basically the only way to get anyone to show up. People will make time if it's important to them. Otherwise it'll have to fall into the magical (mythical) "free weekend"

From the inside looking out this is the issue imo. I chair a local group with 700 members. We can't get 10 to show up for a habitat project that we've been promoting for 4 months.

It's mentioned at our monthly meeting.
It's in the paper newsletter.
It's on social media.
It's on the email blast.
It's in the statewide magazine.

What more do folks want?

Priorities. I guarantee these folks get to hunt a lot more than I do. I also guarantee they don't put the hours in like I do.

There is a part of me that thinks it might attract the wrong types of people - just putting in their hours - instead of what you get right now, which is the die-hard volunteer doing the work for only the right reasons.
I agree 100%.
If people are just "volunteering" in order to gain an advantage over others they're not really volunteering.

Volunteer Definition & Meaning​

1685737517005.png
Dictionary.com
https://www.dictionary.com › browse › volunteer

a person who voluntarily offers to perform a service or other undertaking. a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

I've personally had trouble getting a response from members of the local chapter of a national organization here for volunteer opportunities. Whereas another chapter of the same org cold-call recruited me for the exact same volunteer opportunity during the year and a half I'd spent living in another state. Not sure if its insularity or disorganization, but it kind of soured me on that group.

Also signed up for the BMA improvement opportunity that Randy posted up recently. Have not heard anything from that group yet either.

HT is my only social media outlet, so I'm typically not keyed into those other more hands on "short notice" volunteer opportunities. Please post them up if anything pops up in Western Montana!

I agree 100%.
If people are just "volunteering" in order to gain an advantage over others they're not really volunteering.

Volunteer Definition & Meaning

View attachment 278344
Dictionary.com
https://www.dictionary.com › browse › volunteer

a person who voluntarily offers to perform a service or other undertaking. a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

Agreed with this as well. We used to have a deal with the Hunters Ed folks and Leupold. A number of guys did just enough to get their optics discount and then disappeared.

As I watched a video recently about conservation and getting people and hunters alike to put in the "grunt work" of conservation like building water holes or any other aspect of ensuring our wildlife numbers are healthy and flourish so more people can enjoy hunting limited game.
Some ideas that came to mind is to set up a state program that rewards volunteers with either an extra point or possibly a draw only for people who reach a certain number of conservation volunteer hours.
What are your thoughts and ideas on how to incentivize people to go out and volunteer so our wildlife programs can prosper?
There's plenty of rich dude's who would happily pay someone to show up on their behalf if they can get a point out of it.

From my perspective as someone who is actively asking to volunteer with certain groups is that projects are not scheduled far enough out or advertised properly.
this is part of my problem too. I’ve been asking my chapter of RMEF for projects and haven’t heard back. I know some RMEF folks on here have made posts in the past. I think there’s one floating around now but I lost it. Would love to go out this summer and clear a fence or put in a water hole. I’d give up one of my scouting days for it honesty.

Truth be told, if I knew other hunters were going out to clean, I’d tag along just to listen to stories and learn from other people. That alone is worth it. Never know if a hunter hunted the same unit until you get them face to face and ask.

Personal connections have been about the only success I've had in recruiting volunteers. I've hosted projects in North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona. The two states I've had the most success in getting volunteers have been Montana and Idaho and I think some of that is the culture found in these states compared to many of the others.

Probably the most secluded and truly out there project is the yearly Montana project, its also consistently had by far the best participation. I've been confused on that for a while but I think part of that is that because it's been a yearly project, there have been many volunteers that have seen the progress develop over several years and have valued that. It also doesn't hurt pulling out a six-strand six foot tall fence one evening and stepping out of your tent the next morning and watching a Pronghorn and two fawns sprint across the area where the impassable fence stood just the day before. It hooks people seeing a direct and immediate impact like that.

Oh yeah, I give a lot of free beer away, but it seems like the people that show up for free beer have a giving personality and also want to give away free beer 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'd encourage everyone to check around for other orgs too.

I've attended projects for 4 or 5 different groups here locally. Many volunteer groups will only do 1 or 2 projects a year, so if you want to get out there check around.

Land conservancy and mountain clubs do a lot of similar work, just fewer hunters in attendance.

Just to give another perspective, I’m on the board of Kansas BHA. Yes sometimes events are short notice. We know people have kid’s activities on the weekends. We as board members are in the same boat. I travel for work and have 3 kids. Planning a habitat improvement project is not as easy as it sounds. Also, even if you do everything right; plan well in advance, spend $300 on social media ads, promote everywhere, etc. you know who shows up? mostly board members and some regular dedicated volunteers. Most of whom are some of the busiest people I know, but they find time to prioritize these things. Not to mention if it’s cold or hot or drizzles outside U might be the only guy that shows up.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back