How to fly with your weapon?

JShane

I've never flown with a weapon to a hunting destination. My apologies for not doing a search but with the cost of checked baggage what and how do I do this the most effective and cost efficient. Possibly flying Frontier airlines

Last edited:
I have a variety of hard sided gun cases. They have always treated it as a normal checked bag cost-wise. Show up to the counter with the case unlocked, most will make you show them it’s unloaded, some won’t and will make the whole thing awkward depending on where you are flying from. Then they have you sign a tag saying it’s unloaded and a bunch of other stuff, then take it to security where they will have you lock it up. Use TSA approved locks - I also bring some duct tape and wrap a few sections with a few wraps just incase. I have had some real awkward encounters when flying out of places where guns are not the norm - mainly from the people behind me in line.

Use TSA approved locks
I'd recommend regular keyed locks so that you are the only one with access to the firearm without bolt cutters. TSA will ask you for the key to open and close and then return the key to you before taking it to the plane.

1662828053756.png
As for everything else, look on the Airline's websites and see what the charges are for firearms. They vary quite a bit. You can potentially ship clothes and gear home if you'll be hammered with excess baggage fees.

I have a variety of hard sided gun cases. They have always treated it as a normal checked bag cost-wise. Show up to the counter with the case unlocked, most will make you show them it’s unloaded, some won’t and will make the whole thing awkward depending on where you are flying from. Then they have you sign a tag saying it’s unloaded and a bunch of other stuff, then take it to security where they will have you lock it up. Use TSA approved locks - I also bring some duct tape and wrap a few sections with a few wraps just incase. I have had some real awkward encounters when flying out of places where guns are not the norm - mainly from the people behind me in line.
I’ve been looking into this also. Do you leave ammo in gun case or in separate checked or carry on bag? I’ve read you can do either but wondering what’s the norm.

I’ve been looking into this also. Do you leave ammo in gun case or in separate checked or carry on bag? I’ve read you can do either but wondering what’s the norm.
I have always put the ammo in another checked bag, but that’s just what I have done.

@JT13 - it’s only happened once, but TSA did open up the case and left one of their notes that say they inspected the luggage for additional security, which is why I made the comment about TSA locks. Mine were TSA so they were not cut off - I wonder if they would have cut them off if they weren’t TSA locks or if they would figure that is too much work and then they wouldn’t have a way to lock it back up - who knows. Either should be fine, at least I would think.

Different countries have different rules for ammo, depending on cases and where you store it.

Different countries have different rules for ammo, depending on cases and where you store it.

In the USA you can have gun and ammo in the same case. In Canada, they have to be separate. Had to sort that out in the lobby of the airport in Newfoundland once...

@JT13 - it’s only happened once, but TSA did open up the case and left one of their notes that say they inspected the luggage for additional security, which is why I made the comment about TSA locks. Mine were TSA so they were not cut off - I wonder if they would have cut them off if they weren’t TSA locks or if they would figure that is too much work and then they wouldn’t have a way to lock it back up - who knows. Either should be fine, at least I would think.
Random TSA folks getting in there without my advanced knowledge is exactly why I'd recommend the non-tsa locks. Last thing I'd want is some jack-wagon twisting my scope turrets or steal the bolt from my rifle.

Can you pack some articles of clothing in the gun case to take advantage of space and minimize cost?

Can you pack some articles of clothing in the gun case to take advantage of space and minimize cost?
I don’t see why not - as long as it doesn’t weigh over the max I would think it would be fine. Whether it’s foam or clothes padding the gun(s), it shouldn’t matter to them.

I pulled my top foam, had the guns in soft cases (definitely useful), and included what you see below (shooting sticks, cleaning materials, and ammo). I could've pulled the bottom foam and replaced with some clothes if I needed to as well.
20190920_185138-jpg.115049

I pulled my top foam, had the guns in soft cases (definitely useful), and included what you see below (shooting sticks, cleaning materials, and ammo). I could've pulled the bottom foam and replaced with some clothes if I needed to as well.
I like this

I’m up to like 10 flying hunting trips, so some but not a ton.

Anyway this is my current preferred method.

I got a single rifle locking case and put that inside a ski bag. Ski bags are an “exception” to size requirements so it checks as a normal bag and then you can pack all your bulky light gear in there too, clothes/sleeping bag. Ammo goes in the ski bag in OM boxes not in the gun case. Also nice because ski bags often have wheels.

I use giant, really hard to cut locks for my case, keeps TSA from getting to frisky IMHO. If possible get a case with only a couple lock points as they want every point to have a lock… 1 or 2 is great, 4 sucks.

2ACCD3B3-6697-4364-9E9B-D8C268E63EA6.jpeg
133C7A59-CE8E-4464-A584-CFDE28F36533.jpeg

Great idea with the soft case. I hadn’t thought of that.

STRONGLY recommend adding GPS tracker to gun case. I wish I did few years back. Case disappeared for almost 12 hours in Cincy. What a giant cf. I ended up contacting Delta VP that took charge of search. She was confident it was there but just not scanned in. She was right, it was in a secure area just not scanned. Make your own assumptions why it wasn't. If I had GPS tracker it would have been minutes instead of 12 hours. Rifle and accessories were in a double SKB roller hard airline case so it wasn't small at all. Rifle was delivered 12 hours later to house and gotta say nerve wracking for most of it. It was locked and I had HVAC heavy zip ties on it as well so it was secure when I got it. Props to a Delta VP that left no stone unturned to find it. But if I fly again, GPS trackers in all gear luggage for sure!

Each airport in the US is a bit different depending on how the baggage counter for your airline and where the TSA inspection area is.

For example, in San Jose the TSA is behind closed doors, I do all the required stuff for the airline, and they tell me to wait 15 minutes or so in the event TSA wants my key to inspect. About every fourth trip someone wants the key to take a look.

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time for the rifle case to get processed and on the plane.

Quick question for you guys. Where do you pick up your rifle. The person I checked it with told me baggage claim and I didn’t think that sounded correct so I just asked the person at the gate and they said at the ticket counter in Denver. That still doesn’t sound right to me. The only time I flew with a pistol I had to go to a special place to pick it up I just can’t remember exactly where. Thanks.

Quick question for you guys. Where do you pick up your rifle. The person I checked it with told me baggage claim and I didn’t think that sounded correct so I just asked the person at the gate and they said at the ticket counter in Denver. That still doesn’t sound right to me. The only time I flew with a pistol I had to go to a special place to pick it up I just can’t remember exactly where. Thanks.
I picked mine up at baggage claim but someone from the airline brought it each time and checked my ID before letting me take it.

It never came around on the luggage belt, was always hand delivered.

Back