How the heck do I carry a 100+ lb moose quarter?

Easy. You don’t. Alaska bull moose quarters don’t weigh 150 lbs and not even close to it. I’ve only been on 15 moose kills up here and the mythical 150 quarter doesn’t exist. All are easily packed out on the backs of common man with a decent pack. You would be very lucky to find a hind quarter weigh 100 lbs. Sorry to all the non believers out there but the truth is the truth. Good luck! Shoot a big one!

Man, I like this. 100 lbs is still brutal, but at least do-able.

I will still take my "stretcher" - military cot with legs removed and a coupling made of a square piece of aluminum I salvaged from an old screen door inserted inside the rails of the cot (you can see the cotter pins holding it together). I had the kids pick me up, so I know it will hold 180 lbs, but the picture is of my son and I carrying my wife (120 lbs). The stretcher weighs 5 lbs, but can be disassembled and fits in my bow case.

IMG_0242.jpg

I've been training and I'm still at 30lbs for 2-4 miles.
Good luck, don't get hurt.

Easy. You don’t. Alaska bull moose quarters don’t weigh 150 lbs and not even close to it. I’ve only been on 15 moose kills up here and the mythical 150 quarter doesn’t exist. All are easily packed out on the backs of common man with a decent pack. You would be very lucky to find a hind quarter weigh 100 lbs. Sorry to all the non believers out there but the truth is the truth. Good luck! Shoot a big one!
Agreed. I have never weighed a load of Alaska bull moose but the guys I hunt with have. They indicated 100-105 lbs. They are common men and have been packing moose for 30 yrs.
I’m a little bummed you exposed me as a “common man”. Don’t tell my wife, she thinks I’m something special.😉

Many thoughts, but I guess the biggest is I guess next time youll be thinking about the pack job earlier in the preseason and be training for it:)
A tough hunt requires tough people :)

A bone in moose quarter packs easier than a 100 lbs of random shit in your pack. It’s really no comparison. Take two good trekker poles, a half way decent frame pack and leave the other gimmicks at home.

I would be more concern with figuring out beer per day ratio than taking a stretcher.

The most important part of an Alaskan moose hunt besides beer is figuring out something to pass the time till the moose come in. It’s quite possible the most boring thing to do in Alaska. Guys that don’t kill moose get impatience which in large part is due to boredom.

You’re in CO, bring a bunch of pot and you will most likely tag the bull of a lifetime.

For those with first hand experience, how do you deal with a moose if it dies in water, be it 2 inches or 2 feet of water? I have a high likely hood of this happening this year. My thought is you need to get the moose to dry ground some how before processing as you wouldn't want to get swampy water all over the meat. Am I correct in this thinking that you better have a way to move one whole to dry ground if it dies in water?

For those with first hand experience, how do you deal with a moose if it dies in water, be it 2 inches or 2 feet of water? I have a high likely hood of this happening this year. My thought is you need to get the moose to dry ground some how before processing as you wouldn't want to get swampy water all over the meat. Am I correct in this thinking that you better have a way to move one whole to dry ground if it dies in water?
I took a come along and 50 ft of good strong rope. Didn't need to use it thankfully.

A bone in moose quarter packs easier than a 100 lbs of random shit in your pack. It’s really no comparison. Take two good trekker poles, a half way decent frame pack and leave the other gimmicks at home.

I would be more concern with figuring out beer per day ratio than taking a stretcher.

The most important part of an Alaskan moose hunt besides beer is figuring out something to pass the time till the moose come in. It’s quite possible the most boring thing to do in Alaska. Guys that don’t kill moose get impatience which in large part is due to boredom.

You’re in CO, bring a bunch of pot and you will most likely tag the bull of a lifetime.

Better off avoiding TSA and just buying it in AK where it's also fully legal.

I use a plastic ice fishing sled with a harness to pull it when loaded. I've used that on or off snow with success with moose quarters or whole whitetails, mule deer and bears.

Man, I like this. 100 lbs is still brutal, but at least do-able.

I will still take my "stretcher" - military cot with legs removed and a coupling made of a square piece of aluminum I salvaged from an old screen door inserted inside the rails of the cot (you can see the cotter pins holding it together). I had the kids pick me up, so I know it will hold 180 lbs, but the picture is of my son and I carrying my wife (120 lbs). The stretcher weighs 5 lbs, but can be disassembled and fits in my bow case.

View attachment 112315

I hope your wife doesn't find out you told the world her weight :p

You don't want to know what my ruck sack plus aid bag weighed on foot patrols and active gun fights in Iraq. Civilians are such sissies. Ruck up and get it done if you want to do the hunt.

I want to know!! Plus, LOL

I don't know anything about the subject at hand, but I know that 135lbs on a squat bar feels pretty darn light. I imagine the "be careful and go slow" advice is all that is needed.

You can cut the hind quarter at the knee joint with a knife if you can't pack it all at once, but I suspect you will be able to. Its not impossible. Most hinds will run 100-125 tops, and are manageable with a good pack. Fronts will run 80-100, neck and rib trim will be pushing 100lbs, back straps another 60ish.

I want to know!! Plus, LOL

I don't know anything about the subject at hand, but I know that 135lbs on a squat bar feels pretty darn light. I imagine the "be careful and go slow" advice is all that is needed.

I've thought that several times... but then the physics are so different a 120lb pack feels like it's 220lbs

Im not an expert but I know what it feels like to carry 2 - 50lb dumbbells in my hands for a long ways, or 2 - 5 gallon buckets fills with rocks.. Basically the equivalent of what you will be doing with the stretcher except for having a partner distribute the weight some.. I don't think the stretcher is a horrible idea but I don't think its a very good one either. Even having 70lbs on your back with a good pack and strapped down really well so the load wont shift isn't that bad. Im sure there are lots of guys on here, including myself that have been training with 70-100lbs for 2-5 miles and more all summer. So with the confidence you should have and the ambition also to bring back all that good meat to your family you can get it done on your back. I dont want to be "that guy" and sound like I know everything being a "captain awesome" but it sounds like your not very well prepared for a hunt that for most would be a hunt of a lifetime......... Hike everyday with weight from now until you leave

Back