How the heck do I carry a 100+ lb moose quarter?

COEngineer

The unit I will be hunting in AK requires the meat on the quarters to remain naturally attached to the bone until removed from the field. I should have done this sooner, but last night I strapped 100 lbs (5 gallons of water and two 30-lb dumbbells) on my pack. Just walking down the driveway (maybe 100 yds) and back was painful. Google says adult bull moose (our tags are for 50+" bulls) hindquarters are usually 125-150 lbs.

I'm starting to think we need something more like a stretcher to carry the quarters instead of backpacks.

I am 6' 0" and 175 lbs for reference.

I know we'll get 'er done no matter what happens, but if anyone has any advice that might reduce my anxiety, I would appreciate it.

Of course, one option is to only hunt within 50 yds of the road, but what's the point of going to AK if we're going to shoot from the road?!

Removing the lower leg and hoof at the hock will help a little.

Can you cut the quarters into two pieces while still leaving the meat on the bone? I don’t know what unit you are hunting, but in some units the regs say the meat must stay on the bones, but doesn’t say you must keep the quarter in one piece.

Depends on your pack. I packed out 1 front and 1 rear elk quarter together last year for about 3 miles. With some step hiils. If you are not using a frame pack and maybe you cant get one up there use a convertible pack that can be used as a frame only pack. I have a KUIU and have have packed out numerous elk quaters with it. Elkare not as heavy but its all about the pack and how you position the weight and VERY INPORTANT how you strap it on so it cannot shift. I think what you were carrying is not the same load as a moose quarter. Yours is dead weigh centered in one spot.

The unit I will be hunting in AK requires the meat on the quarters to remain naturally attached to the bone until removed from the field. I should have done this sooner, but last night I strapped 100 lbs (5 gallons of water and two 30-lb dumbbells) on my pack. Just walking down the driveway (maybe 100 yds) and back was painful. Google says adult bull moose (our tags are for 50+" bulls) hindquarters are usually 125-150 lbs.

I'm starting to think we need something more like a stretcher to carry the quarters instead of backpacks.

I am 6' 0" and 175 lbs for reference.

I know we'll get 'er done no matter what happens, but if anyone has any advice that might reduce my anxiety, I would appreciate it.

Of course, one option is to only hunt within 50 yds of the road, but what's the point of going to AK if we're going to shoot from the road?!

Hind quarters are more like 150+ #.

We actually made a stretcher from a tarp and two willow trees. Worked like a charm! We were going to patent the design :)

Went on a moose hunt in Alaska a few years ago. Same deal the meat needed to be left on the bone. We killed six moose in about 10 days. Hind quarters on the big bulls were 160-165. I’m sure the smaller bulls were still 150. I had my stone glacier pack and just strapped them down and went for it. Definitely need help standing up and trekking poles are a lifesaver in unstable ground. 3 of the moose were at least 3/4 mile from the river. It’s brutal but so worth it. Experience of a lifetime. I’m 5’4” 160 pounds. Good luck on your hunt!

Not speaking from experience, but I would think a deer cart would be handy in certain situations. Probably too bulky/heavy for a fly-in hunt though.

I always just think of the busch lights and fried heart(now my new found liking to liver) waiting for me back at camp, 50# or 200#, I'll be there!

I agree with most people, it sounds like you're not out of shape with your height and weight, if you have the right pack and poles then it shouldn't be an issue.

Ever see a round steak, bone in? weighs maybe 1-2 lbs if it's a real thick one. Now somewhere between that moose mountain of connected bones and that single round. (bone in) steak lies your answer, you probably should seek consent from your back before choosing your answer.

Break the hind in two after boning it off the pelvis, then pack it out. Thats will save you a bit of weight. With a knife separate the shank bone above and below the shank. You should have a short handle axe or saw with you if you need to process bone in. Peel back around the knuckle on the lower femur til your at the bone, score it with your axe a pop the knuckle off. You will now have your hind in two bone in sections.

Bring a wyoming saw with an extra blade and cut it in 2 equal weighing portions. I went 2 years ago and we had the same regulations. I ended up killing mine 2.25 miles away from the nearest airstrip and there was no way of getting the hinds out whole in the terrain i was in solo. It may take a few extra trips but your body will thank you later.

A ten foot pole between two guys with quarter lashed tight so it doesnt swing a ton will work also.

Is there a reason for why the state requires the bone to be attached? I've heard of something attached for sex ID but not this.

Problems with wasted meat in some units. Hunter's either doing a purposefully sloppy job so they don't have to pack out as much meat, or hunters not being diligent about meat care and and leaving it in a giant meat ball in a game bag where the meat in the center of the ball sours.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back