How old was this buck?

appaloosa

Let's play a fun game of guess the age...
I just got the lab-confirmed age results back from this deer that my son harvested in 2023. Can you guess his age from live pictures?
The first picture was taken in the fall of 2022 (hardhorned). The second two pictures were early September 2023. This deer put on a lot of antler growth between 2022 and 2023. Was it due to year-to-year "bump" at a common age, or more a reflection of habitat conditions between the two years, or perhaps both?
For reference, his gross score was 174"
Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 200
I like it.

I'm not super familiar with mule deer and their best growth years, but it seems like our whitetails really mature from 3-4 years of age. So typically a 3 year old looks young, then when they turn 4, they are usually filling out nicely. They then seem to plateau for another year, so 4-5 they're stay fairly similar. Then when they turn 6, it's either a big jump, or they start falling off.

This buck looks old. Looks like he got his ear stuck in a meat slicer at some point. I'm going to guess he's 6

Let's play a fun game of guess the age...
I just got the lab-confirmed age results back from this deer that my son harvested in 2023. Can you guess his age from live pictures?
The first picture was taken in the fall of 2022 (hardhorned). The second two pictures were early September 2023. This deer put on a lot of antler growth between 2022 and 2023. Was it due to year-to-year "bump" at a common age, or more a reflection of habitat conditions between the two years, or perhaps both?
For reference, his gross score was 174"
Enjoy
Gonna say 5

I’d guess 4.5 but maybe I’m just confused since they don’t live to be older than that very often where I come from…

From the hard horn pic I would think he had to be at least 5 then. So I’ll go with 6.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back