Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How often do you change out your bow?

Upgraded from a 2004ish pse to a new prime 3 years ago.
the only reason I ever see see myself getting another new one would be to step down from 70lbs limbs to 60 or 65.
With the newer Mathews lines 60,65,70,75 pound draw weight is done with the mods not the limbs.

Oh, and my uncle refuses to use a release. Still shoots that old compound with his fingers.
I used to strictly use fingers until I held a draw on a deer for about ten minutes. It was fifteen years ago and I still don't have all the feeling back in one of my fingers.

Oh, and I missed. I've since drifted toward 'technology' as my years advance.

• Haha
Reactions: KB_
I started with a Mission Riot and shot it pry 6 years or so killed 5 bucks and a doe or two with it. And than bout a year and half ago I bought a matthews z7 extreme and absolutely love it!! Wouldnt mind trying a v3 but I'll pry shoot this z7 for a good number of years dont plan on ever getting rid of it. Pry keep it even if I buy a new bow in a few years

Bought an alpine bow from a buddy in 02-03? He was upgrading, and his wife knew he only had one bow. Still shoot it today.

Upgraded from a 2004ish pse to a new prime 3 years ago.
the only reason I ever see see myself getting another new one would be to step down from 70lbs limbs to 60 or 65.
You can always just buy new limbs for the bow, for a lot less money. Ebay.

Still rocking a Hoyt Alphamax 35. I’ve been looking at new bows for the past 5 years, haven’t found “the one.”

The new bows out today all seem really bulky, I like the sleek/narrow look and feel of the one I have better.

I usually update my bow every four to five years. I still get decent resale value for the old one, keep the major components and only cost about $400 to upgrade. However, it all depends on what’s available and how it feels shooting it.

I started bowhunting when I was 12, and 26 years later I am on just my 4th bow. It is a a Hoyt I bought used last year from a friend and I’m sure it will carry me through the decade.

I am not just an occasional bow hunter either, I am bowhunting 98% of the time so my bows see a lot of field time. The way I see it, unless you have actual mechanical problems there is no need to change bows often. This is closely tied to one’s personality it seems to me. I’m a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it“ kind of guy and once I am set up and everything is dialed in right I will go years without changing a single thing about my setup, except playing around with different broadheads or general maintenance. Some guys are tinkers and like the latest gadgets etc. There’s nothing wrong with that, I t’s just not me. Also, I have only ever bought one new bow. Used is definitely the way to go, get a friend who gets the $1200 new Bow and in a year or two when he swaps to another one by it from him cheap!

As far as high-performance goes, I love long-range archery shooting just for the sake of doing it, but when it times to hunt the question is not “how far was the shot“, it should be “how close was the shot?” I guess I said all that to say, if you like your set up don’t feel pressured to change it. A slow old bow kills just as quick as a new high performance bow if the arrow is put in the right spot.

I still have my Herters recurve (70's) and my four wheel Jennings Arrowstar. (80's) I stopped hunting for 27 years and for Christmas, my wife bought me a PSE somethingorother 6 years ago. I intend to use it as long as I can draw it back and it is cranked as low as it will go.

If they make a torn rotator cuff friendly bow, someone please let me know.
Not sure which state you're in, but that's how most folks in SD end up using a crossbow. Shoulder can't handle drawing the weight anymore so you can use crossbow with a doctor's permission.

I won't side track the thread, but I'm totally okay with using crossbows for those unable to draw a vertical bow. Makes sense to me.

As for when I replace a bow, only when I have to. First bore the cam cracked and they don't make the cam since like the 90's. Replaced it for safety.

Next bow lasted until the fire. The bow want physically burned, but that's a lot of energy next to your face, so I had insurance replace it out of an over abundance of safety.

Don't figure I'll replace my current bow until it breaks on me which is hopefully years down the road.

Not sure which state you're in, but that's how most folks in SD end up using a crossbow. Shoulder can't handle drawing the weight anymore so you can use crossbow with a doctor's permission.

I won't side track the thread, but I'm totally okay with using crossbows for those unable to draw a vertical bow. Makes sense to me.

As for when I replace a bow, only when I have to. First bore the cam cracked and they don't make the cam since like the 90's. Replaced it for safety.

Next bow lasted until the fire. The bow want physically burned, but that's a lot of energy next to your face, so I had insurance replace it out of an over abundance of safety.

Don't figure I'll replace my current bow until it breaks on me which is hopefully years down the road.
Thanks _Goat. Nevada and yes, that may be coming. The thought of it is a real bummer. Someday I'll tell the story of the "disabled " crossbow hunter that mortally wounded two 300" bulls last year. Didn't recover either.

I'm still hunting with the same PSE Primos since 2004. Every year I say I'm going to get a new lighter, more compact bow but I never do. Maybe next year... It still has the same setup; the only thing that's changed is a new peep every time I change out the strings.

Dad bought me a hoyt raider when I was 16 used it for 8 years. Bought my friends hoyt razrtec in 2005 shot that until 2018 and upgraded to a hoyt nitrum 30 and will probably have that for atleast 10 years. I get attached to them.

Hoyt Raider was my first as well, took both my first archery elk and buck with it. Shot it for 6 years, sold it to a buddy (was his first) and still have its replacement to date👍🏻

Interesting post. I've considered upgrading to the latest technology. My first compound was a browning model purchased new in the 80's. Next was a browning coyote in the early 90's and then a Bear, Black Bear soon afterwards. All of these were replaced when a limb broke. Bear replaced the limb for free, but I still upgraded to some sort of split limb browning that I used for about ten years before a limb snapped. Looking back, my quik qwiver attachment probably caused limb breakage as the broadheads nicked the side of the limb. Around 2005, I purchased my current bow, a Redhead Toxic with limbs made by Diamond. It shoots around 320fps, set to 70# with 70% let off and I've got no complaints.

So, that brings me to my conclusions on the topic. Why would I upgrade if I am shooting 320+ fps and hitting the target? A couple of my buddies just bought 1k range new bows. I'm looking forward to seeing them at camp and setting up the target. I'm open minded, but I'm not sure what I'd have to see in their new bows/shooting before I drop 1k. You're primarily dealing with physics and I'm not sure the new bows have improved much in that arena. I would like to have 80% let off since the value would be evident. My bow has hit it's mark except for one instance when my nerves played out and I whiffed one at close range.
I'll probably upgrade next year, but only because my hunts are much more valuable now that I've moved out West where you draw hunts having a short duration to fill a quality tag (antelope, elk, giant mule deer). I need a backup bow and so will probably get a new one and keep my current one as the emergency backup. If I were still limited to eastern whitetail, then I'd shoot my current one till it broke.

Still rocking a Hoyt Alphamax 35. I’ve been looking at new bows for the past 5 years, haven’t found “the one.”

The new bows out today all seem really bulky, I like the sleek/narrow look and feel of the one I have better.
Alphamax’s were great bows! There are things about the one I had I still miss.
I tend to keep a bow for 6-8 years, current one is 4 now and I’ve started looking and considering what my next will be

I bought my current bow 2 years ago when I was pro staff at the local shop. That shop has now closed and I'm moving out of state, so I'll be looking at what's in the new area. I'll keep my current bow as a back up. I'm more looking for a warranty than a brand name.

I shoot a 2011 Elite Pure. Noticed a frayed cable this spring so shopped new bows figuring it is probably time to upgrade, and thought I was going to buy Hoyt Carbon RX3 bc it was new old stock and about 33% off (still $1k)....then I shot it side by side w my Elite. My 2011 Elite is lighter, more forgiving, the draw cycle is MUCH smoother, and (surprising to me) quieter. New Hoyt was about 10-20 fps faster.

So, I paid the $150 for new cables and string and still shoot 2011 Elite Pure. :)

To me, doesn't make sense to upgrade more often than every 5 years or so...tech doesn't change that fast.

But some people just like getting a new toy--nothing wrong w that either.

Just upgraded to a prime ct3 this year from a 2007 model Bear. The Prime is a 2020 model so I got a very nice discount. This Prime is substantially better than my old bow, but I killed a lot of stuff with that old Bear.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back