PEAX Equipment

How often do you change out your bow?

I’m on my 4th bow in 21 years of bow hunting, not that it’s absolutely necessary but I’m going to upgrade this spring, longer axle to axle bow a little increase in speed is the main reason for a change.

Went in to my local pro shop today to look at what's new in the world of compound bows and I just about fell over with sticker shock looking at the prices for flagship bows. I haven't shot anything new since 2013. I know a lot of guys get the newest bow every year and trade off their old one in the process. Just curious, how often do you change out your bow?
Best thing to do is swap every year most the time u can get away with 200 to 300 dollars some times lower every year and u alway have a new bow

I upgrade about once a decade. Archery technology doesn't seem to change much faster than that.

I still have the Pro-line I bought in 1998. I did by a crossbow though. :cautious:

Last edited:
Went in to my local pro shop today to look at what's new in the world of compound bows and I just about fell over with sticker shock looking at the prices for flagship bows. I haven't shot anything new since 2013. I know a lot of guys get the newest bow every year and trade off their old one in the process. Just curious, how often do you change out your bow?
04 ultratec i bought new. Haven’t needed anything different since.

I used to get a new bow every 3 to 4 yrs but with most of the bows making upgrades in vibration, very little speed increases maybe smoother but IMO not big leaps like yrs back I keep one for 8 to ten yrs now Had and alpha max for 8 yrs got Nitrum turbo few yrs back n wont think about changing for quite a long time
I try to figure out if the new bow from X company is X number of dollars better if not im keeping what I have
Smoothness, vibration IMO is for us not hunting the deer doesnt care when the arrow finds its mark how smooth the pull was lol
And even a 20 feet of seconds in speed doesnt make much of a different in a hunting situation if you look at a arrow ballistic chart

Bow makers probably don't like me. I still hunt with the same 62", 53# Hoyt take-down recurve I bought new in the 1970's.

6edrj4pl.jpg

3AGrSUxl.jpg

Some guys can change out to a new bow and be shooting lights out immediately. I have never been that guy. Every time I get a new bow it seems like I go through a dry spell on harvests. Takes me like a year for my new bow and I to become friends I guess. So to answer the question, as little as possible. 😂😂

My strategy is buy bow, shoot bow(then see below), do a real crappy rattle can job on the keeper, go hunting, keep bow as long as possible.

I've found I shoot some bows better than others. I had an elite hunter that I didn't shoot well. Sold it. Bought an elite impulse, shot that extremely well. Bought a Matthews halon 32 that I didn't shoot well. Sold it. Now I have a realm x that I shoot almost as good as the impulse. Sometimes it take a month or so of hard shooting and playing around with a couple arrow set ups to really get a read on it. I'm not loyal to brands or models, all that matters is that it feels good, I'm confident with it, and I'm accurate with it. But I still like to hate on Matthews because I enjoy tuning my bow, but I don't like it that much. As for why one shoots better for me than another, I dunno. Maybe I just suck.

When I find one I shoot well and is quiet and efficient, I’ll keep them for 7-10 years. I’m still shooting my Carbon Defiant with my back-up bow being a Bowtech Invasion.

Back