Caribou Gear Tarp

How much time?

1_pointer

For those of you that started a puppy to hunt, how much time did you spend a day doing so? I understand that it should be work alot, but what is alot. I liken it to working out, I know I should spend more time doing it, but what is enough? Would 1-2hrs a day 4-5days a week be sufficient? I'm talking at home work and getting out after birds as much as possible. Just wondering.

I got my pup when he was seven weeks. For the first couple of months I would only work him for about an hour a day. I think if you do too much too soon the little guy (or gal) will get burned out.

As he got older, we would train a little longer, but it was about 50% work and 50% fun. Just spending time with the pup really helps in the bonding department, IMO.

I've never trained a bird dog but I have trained several Rodeo Clown type dogs, and I handled dogs in the service for a while. I have heard that very young pups should only get about 15-30 minutes a day training broke up in two sessions. Older pups, say 4 months to a year old, you double it (ie 30-60 minutes) depending on how well the pooch takes instruction, meaning some will want to try harder than others. I don't know how much this helps with training bird dogs but for your basic training, sit, stay, rest (lay), these are the guide lines I would, and have followed with great results.
Next year I hope my heart has healed enough to get a new pup to train.
Hope this helps.

I've got all my GSP's between 7 and 9 weeks. Two 15 minute training periods per day CONSISTENTLY gets fine results.

I recommend going down to the library or purchasing GUN DOG by Richard Wolters with the accompanying video by the same name. Read and watch the video constantly.

He describes in detail the training of pups. Some disagree with one or two of the techniques like his "Whoa!", but generally its right down the middle.

Keep it fun for the dog, and its fun for you.

Theres my 2 cents

The younger the dog, the shorter the training period. Never make it last longer than the dog can handle, and always, always, always end it on an "up" note, with something the dog can do and get rewarded for. Then have a "play" session. Initial sessions may last only a few minutes and cover just one command while later sessions, particularly in the field, can take a lot longer and cover many things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back