How much money should you spend on new gear?

ruralmoose14

I know that gear won't make me a better hunter, but I'm also still starting out (sort of). I just bought a new framed backpack to replace the other one (that I only had for about a year). I did have reasoning behind this, one- I was always going to replace the first pack, two- the newer pack is higher quality and bigger, three- the new pack is just better. I also want to go back country hunting for a couple of days so I am looking for a sleeping bag and tent, should I just shell out the money now or buy a mediocre one and replace it with a pack (also if anyone has any insights on temperature on like 0 degree bags and 15 degree bags I will be happy to hear). I guess what I am trying to ask is I know all these big hunters use expensive gear and gear does not make you hunt better, what is a decent amount for gear (just go right away with expensive gear our find something in the middle)?

Whatever your budget allows. At the amount and then buy accordingly. Prioritize your needs, then your upgrades, then your wants. If that means $100/month you save until you can buy your next piece. If it's $1000/month then you get what you can.

I think buying something with a plan to replace it right away isn't a great way to go about getting gear. Boots, pack and optics should take priority along with a good sleeping bag and to a lesser extent tent. Don't worry about what all the big name guys use, they aren't paying for it most of the time. It'll take a few backpacking trips to get dialed and you should expect that. Can't help with bag rating but general rule of thumb is to get 10 degrees lower than your anticipated low temp.

I didn't own any fancy hunting gear on my first backpack hunt. We only stayed out from camp for 3 days at a time, and it was archery.

So many variables here. I’d start with a really good pair of boots and pack, sleeping bag next priority, then everything else as you can afford it. Buy used when you can. Always buy on sale for new gear.

I’ve spent 10-15 years amassing my gear. It doesn’t have to happen overnight.

To address a couple of your specifics, I'd check out bags and tents at REI. Just get an idea of prices from different brands, see how big the tents are, etc. Then keep an eye out for sales from REI (sign up for their email list). They usually have one or two really good sales on their camping gear - one is in the spring. I've gotten some great stuff from them for 30-40% off when those sales hit, including my 0 degree big agnes sleeping bag, which is awesome.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to hunt.

Generally speaking you are paying money to have lighter stuff when it comes to gear. If you are car camping, cheap and heavy is totally fine. Where expensive gear really matters is when you start getting into alpine hunting, or going in really far, which to be honest are not the hunts you want to start with anyway.

I would steer to towards REI for stuff over somewhere like cabelas. Sorry but a cheap bag at REI is cheap because it's synthetic and heavy whereas at cabelas/basspro it's simply because it's a POS. (Generally speaking)

For stuff that is going to work, but you will eventually want to upgrade... but at the same time you will have for a long time...

Synthetic bag: $150-200
Pad $50-75
Tent $200
Pack $200
Boots $100
Head lamp $30
Gloves (insulated leather)$30
Pants (not cotton) $50
Shirt (merino) $40
Long underwear merino ($40)
Rain Jacket $100
Rain Pants $100
Puffy $100
Wool/Synthetic Socks ($15 a pair)
Stove $45
Cup that you can heat directly $20
First aid kit $25

This would get you through most backpacking elk/deer hunts aug-october. These are the prices I would expect to pay shopping around online, you can get cheaper if you use ebay or second hand stores/army surplus.

You don't need camo, solids greens/brows/grey/black is totally fine.

If you buy from REI, you can see if you like it and return it if it’s not your thing.

I've taken the approach of buying quality from the beginning. It's more expensive initially, but (for the most part) has paid off in the long run. Since my first trip west 7 years ago, I've been using most of my gear for several years, with a few upgrades here and there. Boots seem to be a "consumable" for me. I got through about a pair or two a year, but I'm hard on them. Also, as previously mentioned, buy within your budget. Save and look for deals. I let my wife help me, believe it or not. She is a bargain shopper extraordinaire, as are a lot of women. If I tell her to keep an eye out for a deal on a particular piece I'm looking for, she will go all in and look for the best deal. It's hard to tell how much she has saved me over the years. Also worth mention is if I tell her that my boys will be using this stuff when they get old enough to go with me, she sees the extra value in buying quality, long-lasting products.

I started off years ago buying the best gear I could afford every year after hunting season was over and the sales started. There were times I was getting 60-70% off. While not all of was top notch gear it was good. To me boots were the one to splurge on first. Fast forward 30 years and better finances, experience, knowledge and the quality of gear has changed.
Now I only buy the best gear possible because it allows me to be a better hunter by being warmer, drier, better rested and more comfortable This all means I can stay out longer and enjoy the experience better. When i need to replace something or a better widget comes out I still will look or wait for it to be on sale if possible.
Depending on where you hunt and what time of year my first picks would be boots, rain gear ( if needed) and pack. Then upgrade your layering of clothes, and weapon of choice.

I've been updating my gear over the last couple years. I started with a new pack with meat hauling capabilities. Everything was purchased as items were on sale, which as saved me a lot of money. For me, if I had to rank things in order of importance, I'd start with pack, books, sleeping bag, base layers and rain gear. All other layering clothes were purchased as they came on sale and I had money to spend. Wool is very good and relatively cheap. I was fortunate to have inherited good binos and spotting scope.

More than I would ever feel comfortable admitting to my wife.

Occasionally I get busted trying to rationalize or frame it.
Me: "I got a great deal on it! It was originally over $400. I got it on sale for two hundred and something."
Her: <pause> . . . "So you mean $299?"
Me: <looks down> "Um . . . yeah, . . . before tax." :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back