How many have relocated ?

I'd never have any job where I only had 4 weeks vacation...I just had to use 4 weeks of use-or-lose vacation....and I still have 6+ weeks right now. By the time hunting seasons rolls around each year I typically have around 450-500 hours of total vacation/comp time accrued.

Wow..that is fantastic. I would kill to have that much time off.

I went to school in South Dakota and took a job with a nation wide heavy civil construction company after graduation. I lived in Nebraska, Tennesse and Arkansas over a span of 3 years. About 6 years ago, I decided I'd rather make less money and live in my home state of MT. With the economy crash, I haven't had any vacation for the last 2-1/2 years, and in my line of work I am very fortunate to still have a job. That being said...I would rather live in MT with no vacation than move back to one of the 3 states I previously mentioned. I've still managed to fill all my tags and shoot a load of birds strictly hunting on the weekends. I'll pound nails before I leave again. Luckily my wife was born and raised in MT and loves it here as well.

Last edited:
A little different perspective. I have 7 kids (step kids included) and 4 have moved away. None are close enough to easily drive to. One is in Puyallup, Wa., one in Irvine ,Texas, one in San Diego, Ca. and one in Fairbanks, Alaska. I live in Boise, Idaho. I have 9 grandkids that all live out of state. Would I like to have them closer? No doubt!! Do I say anything about it? Not a chance. They need to do what they need to do. And I would have it no other way. They do make it a point of emphasis to come home at least once a year. And my wife and I try to see them when we can. We are off to San Diego to see our marine this Thursday. Next month, it's a 3 day weekend in Puyallup to suprise our grandson for his birthday. We can't see everybody as much as we want but when airlines have sales, we are all over it. We also Skype each other all the time. I watch my only grandaughter do her cartwheels via the computer. I just saw my newest grandson for the first time thanks to the computer. I have found ways to adjust to the way my kids want to live their lives.
And was it not for them, I would not have seen some of the things I have. I would have never backpacked the Kesugi Ridge in Alaska. I would have never snowboarded in Washington with my son and grandsons.
The point of this lengthy diatribe is do what is right for you. If that means moving away, find ways to stay in touch and make a point to travel back when you can or get your parents out to see you. If it means staying close to family, find ways to travel west to hunt and fish or whatever. Live your life for you, not someone else. Just my opinion.
When we do get together, we have an awesome time. I am exhausted when it's over because we go full speed to make up for lost time. The picture below is from just before Christmas for the Las Vegas Bowl game. Yes mdunc8, that is Boise State blue and orange. The wife and myself with 4 of the kids and 6 of the grandkids.

Attachments

• 165675_1810941635617_1302271480_32175986_146073_n.jpg
    165675_1810941635617_1302271480_32175986_146073_n.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 239
Moved to UT from IN two months after getting married for me to attend graduate school. Lived/worked in UT for 9 years and though I wouldn't have called where I was at a 'dream location', it was close to lots of cool stuff. Recently moved back to IN to be close to the wife and I's family. This became extremely important to my wife after we started having kids and my father passed away. We'll see if I can keep my sanity... 'Twer it up to me we'd have moved to one of the many places mentioned already on this thread, but instead I chose someplace that is more likely to keep me and my family together. It was a tough decision and I hope I played it correctly.

As many have stated, there is, IMO, lots of merit in living in a place where you want to vacation, especially if that's a priority for you and/or your family if married. I am not faced with flights and rental cars to be able to do things that I could do within a few hours drive of my house. It'll be interesting to see how the change in costs of these trips sits with "the Bank"...

At least y'all aren't Stanford fans too. That was tougher to watch then the Boise game.

Are those gyotaku prints over the fireplace?

Last edited:
Montana home....

I hunted the western states thru the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. My wife traveled with me often to MT in the early 90's and felt as I did that it would be our retirement land. We moved to NW MT in early '04 after I spent a long summer alone in MT '03. This was after the loss of our son and my retirement. My wife was born and raised on Cape Cod and myself from the midwest. Now, Montana is home. I have never felt so at home as now in MT. I will say this. It is tough to make a living. We are lucky enuf to be retired. Our family is back east. I do not get back there often. My wife makes a pilgramage each summer. Follow your dream as life is short. MTG

Being the responsible one for my elderly Mom and Dad kept me here, along with job considerations and my wife's closeness to her family. The main thing now that my folks are gone is my wife's family. My daughters from a previous marriage are all over the place - Vancouver, WA; Gilroy, CA and outside Cincinnati, OH. I wish they were closer so I could see my grandkids more often, but it also means less of a tie here. My 12-year old son wants us to move to NM, and I'd love to do that. I have hunted that state a lot and like it there. Perhaps after my mother-in-law passes on - not that I want that! She is a wonderful lady. I may be about ready to retire about the time my son graduates from high school, so that may be a good opportunity. He can go to college wherever we move....

[Are those gyotaku prints over the fireplace?[/QUOTE]

Yes they are. My oldest daughter gave them to us when we bought this house.
They are unique.

I have not lived in any state other than ND. I will not be moving but understand the call of the Mountains. The last two years I have spent a 9 to 10 day stretch chasing Elk in NM and CO. The mountain experience is something that has changed me...I think about it everyday. I just have this burning desire to spend more time in the mountains but can't explain why. Living in ND I can travel 120 miles and spend the weekends in the Badlands and love every minute. If you don't move you need to at least answer the call of the mountains and make it a priority...it sounds like your soul needs it! Good luck in your decision.

I'v lived in various states, I'll tell you the Rocky s are hard to beat for the mountain man at heart, I can't live anywhere else believe me I'v tried.

East: Whitetail ,?

Rocky mountains; Elk, Mule deer, Pronghorn, Moose,
White tail, Mountain goat, Big horn sheep, Grizzly, Black bear, Mountain Lions , oh yea CANADIAN WOLVES:mad:

WOW ! Thanks to all for taking the time to share your stories. Sounds like a lot of you have made some tough decisions also. I guess we all experience the highs and lows as we journey through life. We have to make our way through the bad to get to the good….

Thanks again

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back