Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How many days should I block off?

Is it easy access to fly fishing on the North Platte?
Yes, there's some access below Alcova (also good place to set up camp) and a huge section below Gov't Bridge.. *(that being said: make sure to know the private boundaries. PL owners out there do patrol it regularly, and their guides who float there will also call you in if you're over the line.) if you're looking at North Platte, deff try to go up to Miracle Mile - its all basically public and fall fishing can be AMAZING.

Hey everyone,
I first wanted to say that this community is the best and most helpful tool for planning a hunting trip aside from OnX maps. I wanted to thank all of you that have reached out to help me so far and wanted to express my appreciation for this community.

That being said,
I am planning to do a pronghorn and deer trip this fall to WY and wanted to get an opinion on how many days I should realistically plan to take off in order to give myself the best chance at success on at least pronghorn. I am going to be driving, along with 2-3 other buddies of mine from PA. I am quite flexible and plan to take around 8 work days off, which would also give me 2 full weekends. So all in all 12 days minus around 3 for traveling since its a long way to WY from PA. I am going to plan for a full day of scouting so that would give me around 7-8 days to hunt.

This will be in rifle season from opening day on, and we are gonna be limited to one of the eastern low point units.

We hunt hard and are willing to walk A LOT, as we do back here in the PA mountains for whitetail, black bear, and turkey. Is it realistic to think we will all be able to harvest buck goats in that time frame? We arent picky on size, just want a good representative of the species and want to enjoy some pronghorn steaks and see some new country.

Private Message me if your not comfortable sharing the info on the public thread.
I am planning a very similar hunt this fall with a pal after our S.D. pheasant and duck hunt in mid October. Looks like WY is a good option from what I’ve researched

Hey everyone,
I first wanted to say that this community is the best and most helpful tool for planning a hunting trip aside from OnX maps. I wanted to thank all of you that have reached out to help me so far and wanted to express my appreciation for this community.

That being said,
I am planning to do a pronghorn and deer trip this fall to WY and wanted to get an opinion on how many days I should realistically plan to take off in order to give myself the best chance at success on at least pronghorn. I am going to be driving, along with 2-3 other buddies of mine from PA. I am quite flexible and plan to take around 8 work days off, which would also give me 2 full weekends. So all in all 12 days minus around 3 for traveling since its a long way to WY from PA. I am going to plan for a full day of scouting so that would give me around 7-8 days to hunt.

This will be in rifle season from opening day on, and we are gonna be limited to one of the eastern low point units.

We hunt hard and are willing to walk A LOT, as we do back here in the PA mountains for whitetail, black bear, and turkey. Is it realistic to think we will all be able to harvest buck goats in that time frame? We arent picky on size, just want a good representative of the species and want to enjoy some pronghorn steaks and see some new country.

Private Message me if your not comfortable sharing the info on the public thread.
That full day of scouting should give you time to find & make a nice camp and possibly your target animals. I usually scout at leadt one day for both reasons and gives time to check zero on yoir rifles.

OP, re: taxidermy just keep the hide 1) cold, just as you would meat and 2) dry (important) as in not floating in melted ice water and you'll be fine.

I killed my first and only antelope in NM 2019, quartered the meat and threw it in a 45 qt Yeti, covered with a layer of ice. Then took the antelope buck, caped to the jaw, cleaned all trash off the inside of the cape, double bagged it in non-scented trash bags tied at the horn bases and set it down in the cooler with the ice and meat. Filled cooler the rest of the way with ice. Obviously the lid won't shut with a pair of horns jutting out, but I remedied that by taking a dollar store blanket and packing it around and over all exposed ice to make a new "lid." Left on a Friday, got home around the same time on Sunday. No slippage or spoilage of the hide and the meat was all cold as well.

Since then I've learned to cape heads all the way out and don't have to worry about fitting horns in a cooler, which is even better. Either way, just keep the hide dry and cold and you should be fine - get it in a freezer or to your taxidermist as soon as you're home though.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back