MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How many days do you spend in hunting area?

supersider34

Just like the topic asks. Lets see who are the actual hard core hunters we have on this site. I will start out with me for mulies.
I have several friends and family say I hunt a little to much for mulies. I have been riding dirt bikes in the unit I hunt since 1985. But have only archery hunted for the last 5 years. I scout the area average of10- 20 days before season and find trails and tracks and area's deer travel. Find the coming and goings of water and area's they are in. I keep a look out for the animals before season. I see a few deer but there tracks dont lie at where they travel. Might not ever see them but if there are tracks they are there. Then when season starts I locate the doe's. I spend around 30- 45 days hunting during season. Not all days but usually around 2-5 hrs each time and sometimes all days depending on weather for working. Worse the weather more time I spend out and about. I look for now the little bucks and get video of these bucks for next years looking to find them in the same area. Pictues and video do not lie. I even take video of doe's as they even have certain characteristics to them. What area's they hang in and what bucks they let breed them. Also what there escape routes are from different area's. They have like cow elk. Lead doe's. Find the mature doe and she will set her pattern almost to a tee. When I watch them I keep track mentally where they run to. Most of the time they will lead you to certain area's they feel safe in. So I even keep track of the doe's. Some people often overlook this. It's always about the bucks. if you listen to most people thats what you hear. But if the hot lead doe takes off who follows?????
Even after I kill my buck I am out in the unit. Nothing like making more video or notes to keep with you. Whats better to not having the pressure off once you have harvested your animal. More knowledge means being better at what you get the next year. Or what you will see the next year.

Not as many as I should. So many other critters need chasing and get in the way.

You got me beat supersider. But this year between all of my hunting excursions I'd estimate 45 days in the filed with about 35 of them bird hunting. The other 10 mule deer and antelope hunting.

awww to be young again... Not long ago, I would guess I spent:
5 or 6 weekends scouting (occasionally dubbed as "camping/fishing" with the wife).
12-16 days CO archery hunting.
5 days CO rifle elk.
3-4 days for WY antelope.
3-4 days for Kansas pheasant.
4 days for WY mulies.
A day for sage grouse.
3 or 4 weekends for duck and geese.
and a volunteered week to any of my friends who drew a sheep tag.
This year was only 9 days for AZ mule deer and is the first year in 15 that I haven't elk hunted. So sad... might cry...

5 scouting in Co.
6 hunting in Co.
Approx. 60-70 hunting deer, hogs, turkey, quail & dove in Texas...of course those don't count for most of you real hunters. :D

I moved 200 miles to live where I like to hunt whitetails and turkeys. I took a 25 % paycut and lived in a pop up camper for almost 3 months to do it.

With the leaves down it is making the area clearer for me to understand the travel routes of the deer. Right now I am more interested in learning than killing and it has been fun. I just started going back out to allow the deer to settle into a natural pattern after gun season. By the end of this year I will have way over 100 days in since I live there now. Nothing quite like being 15 minutes away from hunting. :cool:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back