Yeti GOBOX Collection

How many days do you rifle hunt specifically for deer in your home state?

How many days do you rifle hunt specifically for deer in your home state?

• Total voters
what is the definition of a hunting day?
? dark to dark?
Dark til noon?
Noon til dark?
last 2 hours of the day?
first 2 hours of the day?
at hunting camp all day never loaded a gun?
I tried to make it very generic initially. This will teach us a great deal. I’m already seeing loads of trends. I will be posting follow up questions to learn more.

In CA not including scouting days last few years has been under 5 with two deer tags filled. When I wasn't as effective filling tags quickly early on it would be 30+. We have long seasons here.
That’s very good. California can be a tough place to hunt. You obviously have your areas figured out.

0 - Texas. I only archery hunt through the whole season. I just lost my place this year, but in years past I probably hunted 10-15 days. I like the challenge, so no guns or feeders and only low fence for me, but to each their own.

I usually hunt 10 to 12 days with bow, 12 to 15 days with rifle and 4 to 8 days with muzzle loader if I still have tags to fill. I raised my children eating venison. I have cut back to 2 or 3 since the kids moved out. Many days I just sit and watch them. I can’t bring my self to shoot a doe with fawns so it has to be the right opportunity before I fill my doe tag.

I can usually only make it out for a long weekend each year. When I draw a good tag I try to take more days. But hunting trips for elk, bears, pronghorn etc. take up a lot of the yearly vacation time as well.

Tennessee. 10+. We get a 2 week muzzleloader season in early November followed by 6-7 weeks of rifle. I hunt opening weekend of both plus as many days as I can get. Always take my boys hunting a few days over Christmas break.

North Idaho rifle whitetail season is almost 2 months long(it’s too long I think). I put 10 days just because I love deer hunting locally and can get out a lot even if it’s a few hours. If I think about last 30 years 10 Is a good number as I like being in the woods in November and I am pretty picky on what I will actually shoot. That said last 2 years I killed a whitetail with my bow first night so I hunted zero with my rifle. Last year I had a central Idaho mule deer tag and filled that in 3 days and bought a second tag for local whitetail but hunted zero days for that tag. There’s a lot of variables year to year. Out of state hunting Me and my son go to Montana almost every year and our hunts there are never more than 2-3 days.

I probably average 6 days of the 9 day season here in Wisconsin. Then 3 or 4 days during the muzzleloader season, i don't hunt any of the special antlerless seasons here.

In my home state usually a day or two for me. I usually kill quickly because I am rarely worried about size. Then I hunt with my wife, friends, and as of this year, my daughter.

#forkymode

Last edited:
I don't specifically chase deer, it's more of a chance encounter while elk hunting. If I see a decent deer and I don't see any elk, I'll change gears and go for said deer, otherwise I don't target deer too much.

8 days as camp bitch for last 3years. 0 days carrying rifle

I have ut dedicated tag on one side of line, my son has had rifle on the other. So we rifle hunt his unit, and I spend a lot of time as a cook, camp setter, pack mule

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back