How long is too long in the cooler for a Pronghorn?

When you are quartering, deboning and bagging in zip-locs in the field or back at camp, what do you do about evidence of sex?

Last year it didn’t matter for me because I had an either/or tag. This year I have a doe/fawn tag. (In Wyoming)

You're really not picturing how most people do an antelope in the field. Most immediately debone everything on an antelope unless they have a processor to take it to. The meat is not in very big pieces as small as those little critters are and no matter how careful you trim them when you do one you'll be very lucky to have 40# of meat when you're done. If he takes care of it like most have mentioned on this thread he'll have no problem keeping the meat in good shape for a week or a little longer in a decent cooler until he gets home.

Yea, just guessing what OP was saying. From what I've witnessed in Wyoming I would disagree that most people immediately debone an antelope. I would say this is the best thing to do, just not what I've seen from other hunters. From what I've seen most hunters were gutting, then taking whole animal out of field to hang and skin. Regardless, of deboning in the field or at camp I think the OP will have the time he needs to cool and transport the meat home. Lots of ways to do it but I still don't like the idea of unwrapped meat in a cooler for 5-7 days.

When you are quartering, deboning and bagging in zip-locs in the field or back at camp, what do you do about evidence of sex?

Last year it didn’t matter for me because I had an either/or tag. This year I have a doe/fawn tag. (In Wyoming)

From the regs: "In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal by regulation, either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall accompany the carcass, or edible portions thereof."

Proof of sex doesn't have to remain attached, just accompany the edible portions thereof. I cut off the udder and throw it in one or 2 plastic bags and keep it in the cooler.

I put the doe utters in a ziploc, got checked and he said that was perfect. The only thing i would suggest is that with all these suggestions remmeber to keep each animal in your group separate. Either seperate by cooler or if you do like i did and keep all the animals in the same cooler, put them in their own game bag/bags or dividers. It can really help things if you get checked. And also dont forget you have to haul all meat out. 4 quarters tenderloin and backstrap (check regs as they may have changed. Even if you blow a shoulder to ground meat you have to bring it out till butcher/wrapped. I was told they right numerous violations for wanton waste each year because people come out with 2 hinds,1 front , backstrap and tenderloin.

We routinely age whitetail deer meat down here in Florida in coolers. Keep the meat dry and don't let ice touch the meat. Garbage bags or big zip locks. Make sure meat cools before putting in plastic. I usually do 4 days to a week. Wild pigs as well.

My go to setup is a cooler filled with frozen milk jugs and packed with pellet ice between. I place two refrigerator shelves on top of the milk jugs and place meat on the shelves. No water contamination and they chill well as well as start the aging process.

My go to setup is a cooler filled with frozen milk jugs and packed with pellet ice between. I place two refrigerator shelves on top of the milk jugs and place meat on the shelves. No water contamination and they chill well as well as start the aging process.

Slick set up, I like it...

Don't know what you are driving but last year I removed the left rear folding seat in my silverado and made room for a small freezer (3.5 cu ft). I too bring my vacuum sealer and a generator. The freezer leaves home with frozen milk jugs full of ice.it helps keep my refridgeratables cool till I get to my campsite.after field deboning it is a breeze to get it cut up and vacuum packed before bedtime. I generally pack the generator away from the camper and let the freezer run most of the night. The generator noise has a tendency to keep me awake. That's why I quit using my Coleman and bought a honda.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back