Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How important is it?

Not my experience see post #119. That’s real life experience I’ve witnessed. In that instances bullet A transferred 3545ftlbs and bullet B transferred 1934ftlbs. Yet bullet B caused more damage.

Have seen this multiple times
Then shoot a deer with a slug... fat, slow, horrible BC, 1,440 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards, but put a hell of a hole in a deer, causing an intense amount of damage.

Most lead shot is alloyed to make it harder which reduces the deformation of the lead pellets for denser shot patterns and so the pellets retain their velocity for longer distances. The lead core of copper/core bullets us pure lead that is softer and conforms to the bullet shape better than alloyed lead would.

I have seen the lead "cloud" of bullets hitting steel but if there is any lead "cloud" in an animal's flesh I think that it would be contained in the bloodshot mush of the wound cavity, which I cut out and discard. I have recovered dozens of bullets from game animals most of them have a deformed tip or front half of the bullet and the back portion is intact.
Haven’t heard of lead shot fragmenting so my point stands. Shot in use is different than center fire bullets. As for “cloud” google some of the pics. Again, to each their own.

You use to be able to buy them in bulk bags to handload. Killed a lot things with them. Had an H&R single shot 7mm-08 that I think I turned into a smooth bore with 140 grain corelokts. I shot a TON of jackrabbits through the summers with that.
Green box core lokt was go to for 30-30 growing up. But now I am fancy and handload. It is a hobby, we can all relax.

People should get over the energy thing already. It's a distraction.

2 bullets of the same diameter, weight, and velocity but different construction could be expected to have drastically different wounding and tissue damage results even if both dont exit and "transfer all of their energy" in an animal.

FWIW I observed my iffiest wound channel ever in a dead animal this year with a 108 elite hunter impacting an elk at ~ 2100 fps.

What was the issue? I've been thinking about using them this fall as well have seen enough negative issue with long necks before expanding that an ELD or those 106 TAPs might get the nod.

2 bullets of the same diameter, weight, and velocity but different construction could be expected to have drastically different wounding and tissue damage results even if both dont exit and "transfer all of their energy" in an animal.
What was the issue? I've been thinking about using them this fall as well have seen enough negative issue with long necks before expanding that an ELD or those 106 TAPs might get the nod.
IMG_1189.jpeg
Can’t imagine what the issue was on a 500 lb animal

View attachment 312288
Can’t imagine what the issue was on a 500 lb animal

Are you trying to point to energy numbers? If so I think you're missing the boat and I'll give Carl the benefit of doubt in being able to look at a wound and understand if a bullet behaved like one would want it to at a given impact velocity.

Last edited:

If the bullets were the same construction - velocity - and differed in only mass (scaled to different lengths) the higher energy obviously bullet causes more damage.
Then shoot a deer with a slug... fat, slow, horrible BC, 1,440 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards, but put a hell of a hole in a deer, causing an intense amount of damage.
Right, again I don't think a lot of energy is required for a lot of damage. More energy, with the same projectile, will produce more damage. Hydraulic shock and hydrostatic shock is different with different projectiles.

If the bullets were the same construction - velocity - and differed in only mass (scaled to different lengths) the higher energy obviously bullet causes more damage.

Sure but how is bringing energy #'s into it useful? You don't need to know energy differences between the 2 to know that. In what scenario would a say 180 accubond create an acceptable wound that a 165 accubond wouldn't at the same impact velocity? At what energy level would the 165 become insufficient where the 180 was sufficient? I'd have a hard time thinking of such a scenario and if there were, is it due to the difference in "energy" or sectional density? If there were such a scenario, would a 160 7mm accubond with a higher SD have worked better than a 165 30 cal at the same velocity? The energy numbers are worthless compared understanding how a projectile behaves terminally at a given velocity.

Back