Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How far for a 10" steel target?

I can't really answer the question from a good hunters perspective but I do most of my shooting at a 10" steel target. If I haven't quite gotten my dope right I also tape a 18"x18"(roughly) piece of cardboard to it so if I miss the steel I'll know where I missed. I can generally hit the steel out to 400 yards pretty consistently once I'm dialed in. I am only good from sitting, kneeling etc. out to about 225, after that I really have to get prone. Kinda depends on the animal though a bit. Doe antelope are quite a bit different than a bull elk.

I don't shoot pistols at steel. Hang up a piece of cardboard and go nuts.

Depends of how solid my firing position is, how much wind and how much time.
10yds with a pistol, less if the plate is angled down.

Wind is the deal breaker for me. I just don't even go shooting long range steel if the wind is is strong. I suck at pistol, just don't do it enough so I usually shoot around 10 yards. Love steel targets though. Got a buddy that runs a water jet and always has a crapload of AR500 scraps he askes me about. I made a lot of nice targets and used rebar as a cheap material for stands. Anyone in the SE Wisconsin area need any let me know, I got a stack of round plates taking up space in the garage.

Once you have your rifle and load dialed in. I think anyone who hunts needs to get out to the range on crappy days, especially windy days. Then test your shooting ability on a 10 inch gong. Use your pack or shooting sticks from different positions and be honest with yourself and set your maximum range and stick to it.

Laying across your pack a hunter with a modern shooting rifle should be able to ring it at 300-400 yards.
If not then bring it in and practice until you are comfortable.

If you breathe wrong you'll miss that gong at 300 yards every shot. Its only gets worse from there on out.
Bottom line is practice until you are comfortable shooting under FIELD conditions. Not just from a rock solid bench rest. Because there is a HUGE difference.

Most people have never even target practice at 400 yards. They shoot great at 100 yards from a bench then assume their "dial" is good out to 600. Then they go out into the field and shoot at deer at 600 yards and hit high or low ect ect. I see the bullets flying on YouTube every single year and it makes me cringe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back