How do you film your shots on animals?

CB1

I’m sure this has been discussed before but curious what your preferred way to record the shots taken take on game. I am not looking to make videos, only to help confirm point of impact.

Like most, I dont film my hunts.

If I missed a big buck because I was trying to film the hunt I would never forgive myself.

I rarely get second chances. Screwing up the first one is intolerable.

Both fair responses. Do you feel this way even if hunting from a blind or stand vs spot and stalk?

I definitely don’t plan to take shots I shouldn’t or am not confident with. My thought was that it could help, in conjunction with reading the arrow and blood trail on how long to wait. Maybe I am trying to add too much.

The chance of seeing the location of a shot on the viewing screen of a normal camera is very challenging. Most cameras cannot slow the frames down themselves. It would require loading them onto a computer and looking at the larger screen to determine. Unless you have an expensive camera with high quality viewing screen.

The chance of seeing the location of a shot on the viewing screen of a normal camera is very challenging. Most cameras cannot slow the frames down themselves. It would require loading them onto a computer and looking at the larger screen to determine. Unless you have an expensive camera with high quality viewing screen.

Good to know, I didn’t think about that. I was going to just use a cell phone maybe on a tripod.

Always wanted to film... however, when in the moment, I completely forget about the video as I'm too concerned about sending versus missing my opportunity.

Basically what Mallards said.
I rarely get second chances. Screwing up the first one is intolerable.

My cell has a really good slo-mo video. I don't record my hunts. I use mine for training purposes.

If you have a GoPro, get the head strap mount keep it kinda angled on your head. Like if you shoot right handed, you’ll keep it pointed like it’s coming from the outside corner of your left eye. Just toy with the positioning to get it so it captures how your field of view would be. Don’t keep it centered on your head or else you’ll just end up recording to the side of where you’re shooting.

I don't film any of my hunts, but if you watch some of the Solo Hunter shows you could get some ideas on self filming. As @bwbrown348 posted with the gopro suggestion, I notice Remi Warren doing that quite a bit.

I use the Tactacam cameras to film my shot. They have apps for your phone so that you can play them back.

Check your state regulations on legality ......
If you want to mount them to your weapon system, yes you definitely need to check this up. In Montana they are legal. Oregon just legalized them this year, Idaho they are not, and I believe in Washington they are legal on a rifle, but not a bow (but I'd have to double check).

Back