MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How do you cover country to find bugles?

lifeisgoodsteve

Hi All,

What method(s) of moving around do you use to locate bugles, foot, vehicle, e-bike, hovercraft, etc., and what are some keys you’ve found for success in that method?

thx

s

Find main ridges with finger ridges coming off of them. Sneak and peek into each canyon as sun coming up. Usually ride up to a good tieoff point on horseback and cast out a mile or 2 each direction on foot. Camp could be 2-6 miles from there.

Will also add in one Wyoming location we would ride up the creeks and more than once caught the elk as they were leaving the meadow from feeding at first light. Not my favorite method but it worked more than once. I'd rather have the high ground because elk climb hills better than me.

Drive a two track road with a 4x4 or UTV, stop, maybe shut off the mobile life support unit, blow like hell on a bugle a few times, wait at most 10 minutes, get back in mobile life support unit. drive maybe a half mile and repeat is a popular method near me. Can not vouch for how effective it is.

Last edited:
Drive a two track road with a 4x4 or UTV, stop, maybe shut off the mobile life support unit. li, blow like hell on a bugle a few times, wait at most 10 minutes, get back in mobile life support unit. drive maybe a half mile and repeat is a popular method near me. Can not vouch for how effective it is.
You beat me to it. mtmuley

Popular in western Montana too. Must be a good method. I would encourage all newbe elk hunters to use this method exclusively.
I would try it, but I suck at bugling.
You also need to tilt your head and listen intently into the drainage that you directed your bugle. It helps. mtmuley

You also need to tilt your head and listen intently into the drainage that you directed your bugle. It helps. mtmuley
I’d like to try this technique. How do I respond if I get an answer bugle about 250 yards away but sounds really close to the road I was just riding on with my wheeler?

I’d like to try this technique. How do I respond if I get an answer bugle about 250 yards away but sounds really close to the road I was just riding on with my wheeler?
I 'm not a bow hunter man. Just an observer when I am in the hills. 250 is a long way. mtmuley

If i want to hear bugles its real easy. I just drive to any one of the 50 trailheads i reconize from youtube. I quietly pull into lot and park right behind the 17 trucks, 2 Subarus and the occasional Prius. Then let out a loud locator and i usually hear responses from dam near every direction...

You need the confidence of Ron Burgundy, mixed with the tenacity of Corey Jacobsen

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back